New members of the South Africa forum, introduce yourself here

Hi all,

Newbie on the South Africa forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in South Africa if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi All
My wife has been offered a posting in Johannesburg and at first we were very excited at the prospect of living in a new country and all that comes with it.
We knew South Africa had its problems with crime but then so does most other countries, and if u are sensible it needn't be a problem.
But after speaking to a few people recently it has dampened our enthusiasm for the move.
Basically people are saying there is a real tension there now and it's like a " tinder box ready to explode".
They say now Mandela is dead racial tension has ratcheted up tenfold.
Could anybody on here put our minds at rest as to the situation there and is it as bad as people say?
We would really like to experience SA but don't want to arrive in an atmosphere of intimidation and hate
Hope you can help
Thanks

Am judith Nansubuga by name,am a ugandan by nationality and a graduate in bachelor's degree of Arts in socialsciences and interested in working with you.

Hi,
I am a self motivated Malawian mature young man, aged 26, a graduate of University of Malawi, The Polytechnic, with a Bachelor of Science degree in Environmental Health, with over 2 years work experience in Non-governmental Organization in priority areas of the Essential Healthcare package for Malawi. I have specific interest in being part of the teams working on promoting the quality and equity in Provision of health and social care services in the southern African region. I would like to learn alot through joining ambitious like minded teams.

Am million hailu by name,am a Ethiopian by nationality and under graduate student by construction technology & management and interested in south Africa free scholarship.

Hy mr julien.

Reply to Rustyruss67 - I would strongly advise against coming to SA - no matter how sensible you are, you are bound to lose it (and your sense of humour) at some stage. Sure, why not come to a country where grown men rape babies because a sangoma (traditional healer) has told him to have sex with a virgin.  Or, how about getting some special muti (a herbal medicine most likely to be made out of powdered monkey testicles) that will make you invisible.
Next try the traffic - if the left side of the road is too busy, no worries, drive on the right side (the wrong side in this case).
Do I sound negative? Sure, Twice in a row the battery was stolen out of my car and, when they tried it a third time (by now I had bolted it down properly), they took the whole car.  Report it to the police and ask them what you must do with a thief if you catch them and they reply: "Shoot them."  This from a police officer in a country where you will get locked up for pointing (note POINTING) a gun at an intruder who has broken into your home in the middle of the night and will kill you for 5 Bob.
Next try and renew your driver's licence or go to a post ofice - it is a shambles - 2 of the 11 windows are manned and the civil servants are neither civil nor servantile.
Lastly, try to find work as a white male - apartheid id dead? Like hell, the jobs are advertised in a manner where white folk are excluded, and it states this in the advert.
But, come and have a look first - this is a beautiful country with lots of nice and decent people in it - you can make a life here, but Africa is not for sissies.

I am Ademola Adetayo, I came to the Republic of South Africa for the first time in the year 2008. I am a Nigerian. I have my first degree in Electronic and Electrical Engineering and my second degree which is called Master Degree in some nations in Industrial and Production Engineering.

To the best of my knowledge and as far as Africa is concern, South Africa is the best country so far in this continient of Africa. Although, different folks, different stories. There is no nation that doesn't have a kind of shortcoming, not saying that South Africa is a perfect nation but South Africa is a PRIDE of Africa. Well organise; the system is working and the progress of building the nation has never stopped. Kudos to our South Africa in Africa. Our Europe in Africa.

That is very good mr julien.

Dear Rustyross,

Please do not allow people to dampen your enthusiasm for coming to South Africa and living here. I myself am originally from Europe and only as recent as 3 years ago did I pack up all my stuff and returned to Europe so I could be closer to my family. However after 3 months my soul was slowly dying and I had to admit that there is only one country for me and that is South Africa. So I bought my ticket and returned "home" to South Africa and I'm truly thankful I was able to do this.
Yes the City where you were offered work is not exactly my cup of tea. I live out in the country where things are much slower and much more to nature. But I live in the Eastern Cape the birthplace of Madiba and where politics is peoples hobby. Yes you do get people who are still full of resentment towards white people (and can you blame them?) but you do have as many white people who still have not quite grasped the fact that everybody in South Africa is now free and they no longer are "superior".  Crime is something which you find everywhere. My fathers home in Europe has thicker burglar bars than mine here. (that makes me really smile). I speak from experience in saying that In Europe people are terribly unfriendly and barely want to assist you when you walk in their shop. Here you are greeted with a smile and respect and shop assistance are willing and eager to help you. I used to tell my family that the reason the skies are always gray in Europe is because nobody laughs. Nobody says hello on the train,bus,tram.... everybody avoids eye contact like the plague and therefore the sun feels its not worth to shine her precious rays on such behaviour.. Here the sun shines almost all the time and when  enter the bus, train, elevator etc and people will smile and say "good morning" or they will start talking to you what a beautiful day it is, etc. Walk into any restaurant and you would think that all the customers are related because the buzz is so loud. Where I come from in Europe everybody speaks very quietly .... as if you will be fined if the next table should hear you talk. My children were constantly told to "be quiet" and "shhht the neighbors". Here you hear children play and laugh and truly have fun.  Yes you still have intense poverty and you get horrific crimes but google "crime" and "poverty" in Europe and you will find it occurs there also more every day. South Africa is a young country! No country having undergone such a massive change as South Africa has, can sort things out overnight. This government had to learn everything from scratch. They did not have decades of experience to fall onto. Yes corruption is high but this too will be nipped in the bud eventually. South Africa has the most progressive Constitution in the world, it has a political arena which is alive and well, as years pass years the people will learn how to use politics to better their lives but as I said this takes time. In the meantime those of us who think we know it can assist in anyway we can. Sometimes it is just by making the horizon's of people minds broader, or throwing a different light on a situation instead of  the usual dark negative one. Go to Johannesburg. Be wise in your actions and movements. If there is something you would not do in your homecountry then don't do it here. A dark scary street in Europe is as dangerous as a dark scary street here. Dilapidated rundown neighbourhoods in Europe are the same as dilapidated rundown neighbourhoods here.... stay out of them. With wisdom you will be amazed how good life here can be. One day you might be like me and never want to return to Europe again! :) hamba gathle (that means "go well".

A Filipino- Chinese here, I'm planning to move to SA (Johannesburg) in a year time to be with my guy who is an African. i wanted to learn and know everything about SA, what to look forward to, how to cope and adjust, this is going to be a big shift for me.

Good Morning

I am South African and I  can tell you that this country excepts people no matter who they are.

There are just a few of those people who cannot except change but you know that there will always be those people in any country.

Please come and experience what we (those who are born in this country) experience.

:)

I am not an expat in South Africa as I was born and raised there but I have lived outside of the country long enough to appreciate all of the things from which I wanted to move away.

There is indeed crime in South Africa.  Have you ever lived in the United States?  That is not exactly a crimeless wonderland.

There is poverty in South Africa.  Have you ever lived in China?  Some of those people earn $1 a day.  Or less.  Millions have no income at all.

There are racial issues in South Africa.  I do not want to make this an anti-American rant but again a comparison with the United States is warranted.  A very large percentage of Americans think that a black man cannot possibly be born in their country.  The current government in South Africa is horribly racist but I would not say that things are getting worse.  How often are white Africans necklaced?  People who long for the good old days when their race could enslave other races are still bitter that they are no longer in control.

I am South African lived here all my life, but travelled a lot, this account is registered in my wife's name who is Filipino.

South Africa is a beautiful diverse country, and many different cultures, although not without it problems. Johannesburg is perhaps the most mixed, and has the best weather! 

Happy to assist with further info, let me know.

Hi,

We, my wife and 2 children, are living in Johannesburg for the last 2 years and beside the crime (which is not unusual around Africa) we see nothing than good things around here, nice climate, incredible infrastructure (for an African country) good, low prices for houses.

Let me know if you need more info.

Regards,
A Riksen

Am currently living in Cape town bin there for the past 8 years,want to relocate to Dubai.I make exotic and leather shoes.if u have any info in my line of trade pliz let me know

Good Day
I am a new expat
And I love this site nice to meet people cause I am a people's person and would love to me new people I live in South Africa all my life and I am hoping to move to Dubai which my heart lies there for I dont see me going anywhere here in SA since my husband passed on in June last year.
I have 3 children one which just got married last month and my one son just finished his studies as sport managment and is seeking employment at the moment.
Please mail me if yu have any queries or questions for me I would gladly try and answer to the best of my ability.
Regards
Des

Hey ya. I'm from Germany and I just moved to Johannesburg. I had the same fears. Also because of the big culture differences compared to Europe. I'm living here now for 2 months, and of course things are different. And I also heard all the horror stories about crime. I haven't experienced anything in the slightest. But I keep staying in the company of people from here, who know where to go, where it's safe, and where you rather shouldn't be.
The country side is beautiful. The people I met here lovely. That's my experience for now...
Ang x

Hi

I studied in South Africa and I must say it is a beautiful country. The climate is good particularly in the coastal towns and prices for both goods and services are reasonable. It has got its problems such as crime, poverty, racism but there are some towns and areas where your stay can be memorable. I am planning to relocate there to work for ngos on human rights and related issues. I prefer those ngos which are relatively small/unknown which tackle problems such as farm workers rights, poor service delivery, HIV and Aids etc

I agree with u ma experience has been amazing

Hello everyone, i've been living in the uk for 14 years now and have indefinate leave to remain. I am currently applying for british citizenship, in the hopes of being able to bring my mom over from south africa. We are both DESPERATE to be reunited and see each other everyday instead of once a year (if we're lucky). However we need help, we are even considering moving to another country that will allow us to be together. Please please can someone help us...
Many thanks
Safron and mom

I am a South African citizen living in South Africa and I am looking to work abroad as an accountant or teaching accounting related subjects.
I have a passion for teaching and although I am a Chartered Accountant with many years experience and not a teacher, teaching is something that I believe I have a special talent.

iam a south Sudanese living in juba seeking to work in south Africa for changing the environment i have the necessity of working as the human resource manager in south Africa but not the citizen of south Africa. iam looking for ajob in south africa

I am originally from JHB and currently living in pretoria am a student studying HRM,

hello
i m zahra nasiri from iran , i living iran now and never dont been there. i like to travel and find job there
my english so not very good same my writing. i study urbanism in iran and i do work about civil , i drawing plan about road and bridge .
who can help me?

I am a pharmacist, new in town(Pretoria) and with lots of challenges.   I am here with wife and three kids. I wish to connect and share experiences with other expats pharmacists anywhere in South Africa.

Hello everyone, even though I have been living in SA for over 8 years I am still in a search of friends, I am married here to South African. I love the nature and climate of the country but lifestyle IS very different from Europe. So adjusting here isn't easy. Would be glad to make friends with ladies, nationality doesn't matter :)

Dear Sir. 
I have traveled all over the world.  I am very proud to call South Africa my home.   My children are 13th generation South Africans.  Nobody has ever stolen from us and we have never been victims of crime.  There are lots of negative people in our beautiful country and I am glad to say there are MORE positive people.  We do have our share of problems but we have many more stories of hope.

My suggestion is seek out the positive people and avoid the negative ones as far as possible.

This country has wonderful people and lots and lots to offer.

Hi everyone. 
I am a South African and I am going to travel abroad hopefully in the near future.  I joined this blog in the hope of maybe finding a friendly South African face that can give a little advice and maybe share a coffee with when we visit their new homes oversees.

Danel Sojourner wrote:

My suggestion is seek out the positive people and avoid the negative ones as far as possible.

This is good advice in any country.

I'm mathilda mabuza 37 years old,i'm looking for a cleaner job 11years exprerience

hai all! would like to move to south africa because i want to search for the job if thre s sme available.all any one can help?

i got acertificate and higher crtifcte in human resources management.any relevant job available plc inform me

hi everybody, i am from belgium and want to retire to south africa eastern cape in 2 years time, i need some info about private health insurance cost and renting a place to stay, can somebody help me, thanks

Hello Tobycocker,

sorry to write you in french, I'll save some time.
Pour ce qui est des assurances santé je pense qu'elles sont aussi chères qu'aux Etats-Unis.
Je  vais essayer de me renseigner avant mon départ dans un mous et vous ferai alors savoir quoi. Je pense que les belges qui passent leur temps de retraite ici conservent leur mutualité en Belgique; Aafin de ne pas être doublement taxés, ils rentrent un certain nombre de mois par an en Belgique et passent alors les examens médicaux nécessaires en Belgique.
Ceci-dit, la région du Cap peut être très pénible en hiver, pluies extrêmes et inondations et très froide aussi. Vous connaissez sans doute la région où vous voulez vous établir, mais y avez-vous séjourné en hiver? Pour ce qui est de trouver un mogement, peut-être faire appel à des agents immobiliers serait la meilleure solution. Prendre contact via le net avec plusieurs d'entre elles et voir ce qu'elles vous disent des possibilités locales; Et puis quand le moment sera venu, loger en guest house le temps de trouver le logement qui vous conviendra.
Voilà ce que je peux vous dire;
bonne soirée.

EliseJane

Hi,

If you want to apply for resident then home office is asking for a local insurance.
Health insurance is expensive here and lots of things are not covered, they also give you a budget per item and if the budget is reached it's not covered anymore. It might be more interesting to get an international insurance and a local one to get residence.

regards,
Adriaan Riksen
Kempton Park, South Africa

merci beaucoup pour les renseignements je voudrais m'installer du cöté de jeffreys bay, mais j'ai encore le temps pour arranger tout

l am south africa now.l would like to live from here on 27.05/14 to visit fiji

thank you so much for the reply

Good Day Everyone!
I am South African and I am considering relocating to the Netherlands. I speak Dutch, Afrikaans, English and German and I studied Drama and Film. Currently doing Law. Just looking for some info at the mo.
Can anyone assist as to where I can obtain info, how and if I can apply for employment in the Netherlands etc?

Closed