14000 HKD enough for family of 2?

Hi guys,

I have been reading up a lot on this forum and know that there is no fixed answer, but hoping someone can provide some indication... hopefully the extra info provided will help :)
There is a position for my wife in Hong Kong at the Hong Kong Adventist Academy in Clear Water Bay. Accommodation will be provided on campus, so that is taken care of, but we will be paying for our own utilities (excl wifi). School is providing insurance so that is covered also. Since we are staying on campus, travelling wont be such an issue, so that should be minimal (I assume). The salary is around the 14000 HKD per month. We both don't drink or party and are mostly vegetarian (eat meat at home probably once a week and mostly chicken/fish). We eat out probably once a week also, but like to go on weekends away every few months.
1. Will the 14000 be enough for the both of us to live comfortably and possibly save something to go on a trip (do some touristy things in the area) every 4-6 months?
2. I wont be working at the school, so what are the chances of me finding some sort of work just to bring in some extra funds to save and pass the time while I complete my degree (I cant sit at home the whole day... would collapse)

Again, I know its hard to say, but please provide me with as best an answer as you can based on our lifestyle, and location of work. Thanks guys,
Chips1024

Hi Chips1024,

Feel free to read the topic: Cost of living, why not a sample budget?, this might help in your search of information. Thank you! ;)

Regards,

David.

Expat-blog team.

Thanks David,

I did see that topic, but it was done last year July, so figured things might have changed. Also, 17500 is a lot more than 14000, so was wondering how much that plays a part for 2 people to live off.

The second question in the post was how easy it was to get a part time job there as a foreigner... any insight on that?

Chips1024

Hi
14000 might be enough for two people if you accept to eat/cook local food and products, get a cheap mobile phone plan and don't spend much. You will save a little bit, probably enough for your casual trips, and maybe you will not even need that when you realise how much there is to do in HK ;-)

Getting a part time job is not too much of a problem, especially if you are already working in a religious community.
RS

Thanks mars :)

The wife loves Asian food (lived in Taiwan, Korea and did some time in Thailand so far), so local will def be the order of the day.
Thanks for the reply, needed some real HK opinions :)
chips1024

chips1024 wrote:

Since we are staying on campus, travelling wont be such an issue, so that should be minimal (I assume).

Unless you want to see the city,  Clear Water Bay isn't exactly downtown.  The best thing you can do as far as getting around town is to get an octopus card.

HK$14,000 is not a lot, but it's very easy to eat very cheaply in Hong Kong.  Tourists go to the overpriced tourist restaurants, but the locals eat for pennies.

Finding a job should be easy as long as you have some useful skill.  A lot of people come here looking to work retail.  That's kind of insane.

David wrote:

Feel free to read the topic: Cost of living, why not a sample budget?

Can we make that one a sticky?

HaileyinHongKong wrote:
David wrote:

Feel free to read the topic: Cost of living, why not a sample budget?

Can we make that one a sticky?

Topic sticked ! :)

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Or is it stickied?  Stuck?

Rent of normal flat is already near HKD1,0000.