Close

long term car lease

Hiya,

does anyone lease a car? How much does it cost you for a family sized car and where would you recommend hiring from?

Corrin x

If you have owned your car more than 2 years you can drive it over and use it in Malta.

I looked at the long lease option last year and found it to be one of the hardest things to sort out –  I specifically wanted an automatic which probably didn’t help but the options presented to me by various companies was extremely limited and poor – to the point that one company even brought a 4 year old battered Peugeot 207 to the house expecting me to pay EUR 500 with a  4 year commitment (this was their idea of a family car) – we opted to buy a new car in the end which was by far the easiest and so far the cheapest  option – finance offered by the garage over 5 years with a 25% deposit – tax and insurance reasonable and easy to arrange via a broker.

hiya :), thanks, we have looked at the cost of doing that. both our cars are within 2 yrs old and we would have to think about shipping costs/travel costs driving it over. We might just be better selling them and hiring.

Our car was 1 year and 50 weeks when we moved over – I held on to it in the UK to keep our options open but the import tax was too high. In hindsight had I known how difficult it was to get a decent long lease car I would have delayed moving to Malta for 2 weeks and imported the car over on a roll on roll off service which was reasonable priced and we could have filled the car up with our personal possessions as well and shipped over.

If still considering leasing then worth speaking to Mizzi Motors who have a leasing department (Godfrey Mangion +356 23264524) - he was very honest and upfront and can give you some options - although it would more than likely be a new car he purchases from the Mizzi Group (VW/Audi/Nissan etc) and leases to you over the long term but he might have some other options as well.

When I considered leasing I could get a small car for €300 pm. All inclusive.

redmik :

When I considered leasing I could get a small car for 300 pm. All inclusive.

I know this is a very old thread, but can you tell me where you leased a small car (what model?) forr 300 pm all inclusive?
I'll move to Malta in a few months, my 2008 Astra, valued at 2500 Euro, would cost me nearly 2000 Euro in registration tax (I haven't owned it for more than 2 years), that's just crazy!!

Red Mick is no longer living here so you will not get an answer from him.

Sparick :
redmik :

When I considered leasing I could get a small car for 300 pm. All inclusive.

I know this is a very old thread, but can you tell me where you leased a small car (what model?) forr 300 pm all inclusive?
I'll move to Malta in a few months, my 2008 Astra, valued at 2500 Euro, would cost me nearly 2000 Euro in registration tax (I haven't owned it for more than 2 years), that's just crazy!!

I checked it out last year and it worked out around €340 a month for a small Peugeot 108 fully maintained and including tax (can't remember, but I think it also included insurance)
The company name escapes me but there hire car business is 'First car hire'

Decided not to bother as that's very high compared with many other countries and I just hire on a regular basis for a few days at a time when I need to. I have a car for 4 days about every 3 weeks which allows us to do big shopping trips etc. (costs me €10 a day this time of year from Mayjo ) The rest of the time we use the buses which are very good in Gozo.

Ray

Expatriate health insurance in Malta

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Malta

Moving to Malta

Find tips from professionals about moving to Malta

Travel insurance in Malta

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Malta

Flights to Malta

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Malta