Interview at JKS

Hi all

I'm a new member here. I have been teaching for the past 18 years in UK and feel it is now time for change. Today I received an e-mail from JKS for an interview. I have applied for a Teacher of Mathematics post probably to teach the IB diploma as I have taught this in UK. I am married with one children born at the start of this year. My wife is a housewife.

My questions are:
What is likely to be asked in the interview?
What salary can I expect? Can I negotiate? If so what would  be recommended?
What benefits can I expect?
How good is the accommodation? Number of bedrooms, furniture allowance?
I am a UK citizen and my wife has Pakistani citizenship, would this complicate getting visa?

I would appreciate advice from anyone out there?

Thanks a bunch!!!

Hi zmalik,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I invite you to have a look at the following discussion regarding your query about interview at JKS: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=138179

You can also browse through the other discussions on the Saudi Arabia forum. They will surely provide you with some useful information.

Best of luck for your project,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

If you are British IB/A Level math teacher with 18 years of UK teaching experience, don't waste yourself coming to JKS.

Why don't you apply to the several British/IB-curriculum British-managed schools in Jeddah, Riyadh, and Khobar?  In Jeddah there is British International School of Jeddah.  Also, Jeddah Prep and Grammar School, but they have been having some problems lately, so best to steer clear of them for now.  Riyadh has a British school as well, and in the east in Khobar/Dhahran, there are a few British and IB schools as well.  There also American schools with American admin in all those cities.

JKS is a Saudi school and is mostly Saudi-managed.  I would not recommend it.  You are likely to pull your hair out under Saudi admin.  Plus, all your students will be Saudis, and you really don't want a class full of Saudi teens.

Trapezius wrote:

If you are British IB/A Level math teacher with 18 years of UK teaching experience, don't waste yourself coming to JKS.

Why don't you apply to the several British/IB-curriculum British-managed schools in Jeddah, Riyadh, and Khobar?  In Jeddah there is British International School of Jeddah.  Also, Jeddah Prep and Grammar School, but they have been having some problems lately, so best to steer clear of them for now.  Riyadh has a British school as well, and in the east in Khobar/Dhahran, there are a few British and IB schools as well.  There also American schools with American admin in all those cities.

JKS is a Saudi school and is mostly Saudi-managed.  I would not recommend it.  You are likely to pull your hair out under Saudi admin.  Plus, all your students will be Saudis, and you really don't want a class full of Saudi teens.

Excuse me for my ignorance, but what is JKS Trapezius?

Jeddah Knowledge School

www.jks.edu.sa

Interesting, someone told me that JKS is one of the best schools for Saudi kids in Jeddah. Is that correct?

Well, as far as Saudi schools go, yes, it is one of the best for sure.  But the OP is asking about working there, not enrolling his kids there.

Someone who has been teaching in the West for nearly 2 decades would have a hard time adjusting to a Saudi school, even if it is one of the best ones.

Most of their teachers as far as I know are South African, with a handful of Americans and Brits.  So at least you will have Western colleagues, but the admin is mostly Saudi.

Trapezius wrote:

Well, as far as Saudi schools go, yes, it is one of the best for sure.  But the OP is asking about working there, not enrolling his kids there.

Someone who has been teaching in the West for nearly 2 decades would have a hard time adjusting to a Saudi school, even if it is one of the best ones.

Most of their teachers as far as I know are South African, with a handful of Americans and Brits.  So at least you will have Western colleagues, but the admin is mostly Saudi.

Yes, I understand his point of view, I was just inquiring about the quality of  this school in terms of education for Saudi kids.

To the OP, do a search for JKS or for the full name on this site.  It has been discussed before.

Here is one thread that is currently active: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=138179

Hi Hasnaa

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction...

Thank you for your points. I've applied to several schools in the Middle East mainly through TES) but haven't had much luck. I think it could be due to my age (mid 40s), the burden for prospective schools since I have a family and my lack of recent experience with under 16 year olds (as I teach in a college).

My reasons for moving abroad are:
-change as I have spent a long time at the same college
-possible new teaching opportunities e.g. teaching the American System
-slower pace of life, living and working in London can be very hectic and can grind you down at times
-hot weather, makes a change from the cold wet weather here
-possibility of saving some money for the long term (very difficult in London especially if only one parent is working)

and Jeddah from what I can gather is a relatively safe and peaceful environment with good beaches

Just read the thread at ForumMiddle EastSaudi ArabiaJeddahWorkthinking of taking teaching post in jedda knowledge school - any info?
Very worrying...

I have my skype interview this Sunday with the head of school (boys section). The other issue of concern is that it is for an open teaching position not for the advertised mathematics post.

Should I raise concerns about what I have read in the forums? Should I ask for higher pay?

You can raise concerns during the interview, but it is pointless.  Nothing will change, as it is a Saudi school and Saudi admin has a way of doing things that is archaic, and that is not about to change any time soon.  Same with students, Saudi teens will be what they are, no matter how many concerns you raise.

Have you checked the websites of the schools I mentioned?  They advertise vacancies directly on their sites, and you can apply to them directly.  I am sure at least one of the schools I mentioned must have a math vacancy.  BISJ, BISR, and ISG.  And then if you want American schools, search in each of the 3 major population centers.  Plus, Aramco has an American school, but I believe they hire Americans only, or at least mostly.  They pay $100k or even more!  KAUST also has an IB school.  Search for that also.

Hi ZMalik,

I am afraid that I cant give you much advice regarding the interview process / school, but rather would like to encourage you to go for it if you think that it is right for you and your family.

A friend of mine work for a top Saudi school in Jeddah and yes he has said that the admin is not good he has never really complained about teaching Saudi children (although his classes are small around 10-12 per class. I think he would have much more difficulty if the class sizes were very big).

Things I would like to point out is;
- Consider the class size of JKS (ask in the interview).

- Ensure that JKS will be providing all the support by getting you and your family visa's and iqama (resident permits). You really dont want to be told to do this yourself.

- It sounds like you have enough experience be confident when speaking to JKS.

- Before making any decision do a budget to consider how much you need in a salary and do not come over here for less!

- Its normal in wealthier schools (if fanilies can afford it) for kids to have extra tuition outside of school and is a great way for teachers to make extra money.

- If you havnt lived outside of the UK, KSA can take a little while to get used too. Although people have suggested places like Riyadh it can be more difficult to settle (depending on the person and more so for women (generally speaking)).

I wish you all the best and hope things work out for you.

JKS : 20 years of failure & faking education

Don't know where to start...
They have lost, made run or fired some of the most skilled, strongest, Middle east experienced & most efficient teachers in the world.

First, JKS weak management will always be on the the kids side for money & business purposes, always blaming teachers rather than supporting them.

Roughly, a jail where you have to check in & out every day with fingerprints and are being watched in every classroom & corridor, not to talk about the kids' very disrespectful behaviour, being accepted by the two current heads of school (boys & girls side) who will never support you.

Accepting a job there would be the biggest mistake in your lifetime.
Management would allow itself firing teachers just because few very agitated students have complained before their parents that teacher is too severe, too strict (as he has not let them play in the classroom). Teachers will then be fired in few days in any unpredicted situation, without even any extra baggage allowance or any mercy.

I wish I had been warned before!
Don't end up fleeing during holidays like 30 others each year in the girls side as well as around 50 more in the boys side.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=63010

Much more details to come, if needed.

PS: Do check and trust hamudi & honestteacher comments which are the most accurate