Moving back to Brazil with English husband and 2 children

I am Brazilian from Porto Alegre, but I have been living in the UK for 14 years. I got married in 2002 in England (civil marriage registered in Brazilian consular) and in Brazil (Church wedding). My husband is English and our children have British passport and they were registered in the Brazilian consular. We are moving to Porto Alegre in July 2014. I would like to know what do we need to do to get my husband a permanent visa and if he is allowed to work in Brazil.

hello. I would like to move to brazil for permanent stay. i am working as a software professional in india. Could you please let me know how to move brazil. I am very much interested to move brazil. Can you please let me know how it possible and guide me.

Hello Cintia,

Since your marriage has already been registered with the Consulado-Geral do Brasil you should have been issued a Certidão de Casamento or other similar document by the Consular Cartório. Your husband will submit that, with all the other required documents to the Policia Federal and apply for his VIPER Permanent Visa within 90 days of arrival (sooner if possible) once the application has been made he may then remain in Brazil and work for as long as it takes for the application to be processed. It's getting longer all the time so you'll need to have lots and lots of patience. If he holds a UK passport then he doesn't need a VITUR Tourist Visa, he is allowed 90 days, extendable to 180 with just his passport.

You can also apply for the VIPER Permanent Visa there, but he wouldn't be able to enter Brazil until it is issued.

See the second part of the following posting for the documents required for the VIPER application:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=280525

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Does Brazil appreciate the irony of naming a visa "Viper"?

Hi william,

Thank you very much for this information. It is one less thing for me to worry about.

Do you know the official website for the VIPER Permanent Visa where I can all the information? Most of the Brazilian requirement seems to be straight forward compared to the UK. In the UK you will  need to do an English test to prove that you can speak and understand English., you have to do a test about the British culture and history, you will also have to take part on a ceremony where you will pledge to uphold the principles of British life.

The link to the Ministry of Justice is below:

http://portal.mj.gov.br/main.asp?View=% … 0F4CB26%7D

Check the website of the Brazilian Consulate in London, or go there, they will give you all documents requirements. London Braziliate Consulate is well organised and employees are nice and helpfull (this is something that does not happen in Brazil). It took me less than 3 months to have my permanent visa. Do all from UK; I heard nightmare stories about trying obtening visa when already in Brazil.

Hi Bardamu,

I am actually going to the Brazilian consular on Wednesday next week to renew my passport and I will ask them. Looking at their website they say that you should apply for the visa when you arrive in Brazil.

Thank you