Please leave home without American Express !!

If you are using Amex for your trip Dont come to Cambodia with this card . almost O places take this and Canadia bank does not accept this either ... Went in there to take some fairly large amt out and they said visa , MasterCard yes! ,no American Express .also Cebu pacific airline out of Cambodia to Philipinnnes DOES NOT ACCEPT  IT ! .... SO JUST A WARNING !

Wimbleton wrote:

If you are using Amex for your trip Dont come to Cambodia with this card . almost O places take this and Canadia bank does not accept this either ... Went in there to take some fairly large amt out and they said visa , MasterCard yes! ,no American Express .also Cebu pacific airline out of Cambodia to Philipinnnes DOES NOT ACCEPT  IT ! .... SO JUST A WARNING !

Thanks for the warning.  I think the credit system is widely used in the developed countries while the cash system is more preferred in developing countries.  Haven't been using any credit or charge cards since I arrived in SE Asia actually.

AmEx charges the companies for accepting the card, at a much higher rate than Visa/MasterCard, so I understand why they don't want to take it. It is mentioned in most guide books I've seen, but seems like when you call AmEx to tell them you're traveling they should mention it. If you have a PIN number to use in a regular ATM, it should work in the Cambodia machines, though (assuming AmEx does that), and get US dollars out of the ATM.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
Wimbleton wrote:

Thanks for the warning.  I think the credit system is widely used in the developed countries while the cash system is more preferred in developing countries.  Haven't been using any credit or charge cards since I arrived in SE Asia actually.

Well, it is true that the technological infrastructure is better in developed countries than developing countries. However It is still useful especially for online purchases.