Job Opportunities

Hi all!

My name is Emily, I'm originally from Taiwan but grew up in New Zealand.
I've applied for a working holiday visa for Malta and I'm planning to move in March.
Although I've lived in London for three years and travelled around Europe, but I've never been to Malta.
So I'm quite worried about the job opportunities available in Malta.
I've had two years experience as a sales consultant in luxury retail and one year as an assistant merchandiser.
I'm bilingual in English and Chinese (hope that helps)

I'm looking to have any kind of admin or customer service jobs available.

Will I be able to find a job in Malta?
And will it be more difficult as the fact that I am asian? 

Thank you in advance!

Hi Emily,

welcome to the forum.

I've never heard of a working holiday visa! What is that and what does it mean ?

It could be quite difficult for you to find a job in the areas you quote. And probably even more difficult to get a work permit in Malta.
Speaking Chinese most certainly could be a great help especially considering that Malta is looking at China to recruit new (paying) citizens but for Malta itself it is probably not a great asset in retail and administration.

Why are you looking at Malta to liveand work?

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky,

Thank you for your reply!
The working holiday visa, means I can work and live in Malta for one year.
It's a visa for people under the age of 30 with certain nationalities, wanting to travel and work.
I wanted to move to Malta because it's a English speaking country and I would love to live near the
mediterranean sea. :D

So what kind of jobs do you think I can look into?

Emily

hi ms emily,
i am myra. don'T worry Malta is safe and beautiful country. you will find a lot of fun here.
and the people are very friendly,  hope to  be your friend when you will be here in Malta feel free to contact me.
[email protected] hope to hear from you. don't worry no body bothering here is a very nice culture, and very nice people.

Hi Emily,

thanks for your information. That is totally new to me and opens up a lot of chances for non EU citizens! Can you give us some info on which nationalities profit from this type of visa and what other requirements there are ?

It seems that this type of visa only applies to Australian and New Zealand citizens under the age of 30.

Sales jobs in Malta will normally require Maltese language efficiency but there might be chances with Chinese language skills. But don't count on it. You should look into jobs in the hospitality/tourist sector although the pay will normally be low.

Finding a job in Malta can take time so make sure that you have adequate funds backed up to keep you going. But this is already the requirement of the working visa so it should not be a problem.

Cheers
Ricky

Emily, in the summer months you can consider working as a group leader for an English language school. This would require you to show students around the island in their free time and to take them clubbing at night. Not sure if it's your cup of tea.

I honestly don't know what you can do in winter. Being Asian shouldn't be a problem but employers won't be too eager to employ someone who's only here for a year.

Good luck :)