Moving to Jeddah from South Africa

Good day all fellow expats.  My husband accepted a position at Saudi Sicli, starting on 1 March 2014.  I haven't been overseas at all and now I will be moving to Jeddah to be with my husband on permanent basis.  Does anyone know what the Saudi Sicli compounds look like and if there is things like shops, restaurants, medical centre and so on in there and also aircons in the houses?  How is life for us women in Jeddah?  Do we have to wear an Abaya when we go out of the compound? If you have any information to share with my I will be glad, I look forward to the new adventure en life in another country other than South Africa, but also really scared!

just read the general topics of saudi arabia jeddah on forum and you will get the picture! You have to wear abaya outside of compound and or house , depend on compound policy . I guess out of the house as well since you are in Saudi compound.

welcome to jeddah i hope you have a good time here .
YES you have to wear abaya when you are outside the compound but you don't have to cover your head  just the body !! and there are many places you can go to and have fun  we have everything here     well except a few things ;P

First , Do not be scared :) people exaggerate about everything .
the experience is DIFFERENT but not bad different just different
and yes you would have to wear an abaya when leaving the compound a women who is saudi and lives in saudi arabia in different than a foreigne women who lives in saudi not so much attention on what she does you could move freely and speak freely just try not to interact TOO freely with men like speaking loud or laughing just out of respect to their culture nothing more :)
but other then that you will be fine :) GOOD LUCK oh and by the way YOU WILL LOVE THE FOOD hahaha

Thank you, Im starting to feel better now!  have a great day! :D

Thank you sooo much! Im looking forward living in KSA.

Oh, and is all the abayas black, or do you get coloured ones?

have a great day

(Moderated: Off topic/ Please post in the section teaching jobs in Jeddah)

Different colors :)

Hi

No all the Abyas are black. It is not avaiable in different cilours. Mine is embroidered. You get ones that are adorned with sequibs (a little) but red or orange etc Abyas arw defnitely not allowed!

Nassie

Red or orange are not the only colors other than black, you know.

Jeddah definitely has non-black abayas.  Dark blue, light grey, dark grey, beige, very dark red (maroon), dark brown, dark purple... those are some of the colors you will see here.  Having said that 95%+ of abayas are still black, but an increasing percentage are decorated these days, up to half of them.  Decorations take the form of sequins, laces, colored edges, prints, crystals, patches of satiny black, etc.  Some are decorated to extremes!  Then, there are different styles as well.  Most are of the same style, but some are fitted at the waist, some with kimono sleeves, sporty ones made of stretch fabric and tight sleeves, brightly colored edges, even hoodies!  Once in a while you will also see women without abayas, but it is quite rare.  My wife once also ventured to a mall without one.

I suspect you will have the same in Khobar/Dhahran, but Riyadh I suspect not, at least no colored ones, and the decorated ones will probably be muted compared to in Jeddah.

Hi

Thanks for the info. I live in Riyadh. Yes there are indeed a lot of designs but black is black even if decorated in this COLOUR LOVING  South Africans eyes. I have a BEAUTIFUL Abya: with a wide white embroidered panel at the back and around the sleeves. I have ventured out in a Mall in Riyadh with a plsin dark purple long sleeved dress and it was okay BECAUSE (like everybody told me) I am a Westerner.

Good for you who is allowing your wife to walk without an Abya at times! Are you a Westerner as well?

Thanks for the info. We all have contradictory experiences in this Country :))

Nassie

Hello Dear,

First of all welcome to Saudi Arabia, Well regarding compound's life, you can find everything inside like, shops, gardens, swimming pools, Gym, sports grounds and Medical Facilities. You can move in compound without Abaya there is no restriction about that, only you need wear abaya when you are going out side the compound. You can enjoy your life in Jeddah because this is one of city in Saudi Arabia which have lot's of shopping malls, resorts, beach, gyms, sports courts. I am sure you will not get board here :) .

Wish you best of luck for the future adventure.
You may contact me anytime for further information about Jeddah in any topic, feel free to ask.
Here is my contact nos (Moderated: Please avoid leaving your phone number on the forum)
Prince

@Nassie,

Yup as I said, Riyadh won't have the colored ones.  In Jeddah you will see a few every time you go to a mall, sometimes a lot more than a few, depending on how posh the mall is!

No, I am an Easterner with a non-denominational way of thinking  :proud

Trapezius is right abayas are in all sorts of colors here in Jeddah. Think mainly dark colors with lighter blues thrown in from time to time. Just make sure you do have a plain black one (or black with design) & a scarf in case you are going to Riyadh or another city in KSA where they are stricter.

Both mine are all black, but one has quite a bit of detail in royal blue. I definitely am looking for a more interesting one, but just haven't made it to the souq I like. Definitely love the pockets I have in one though.

FYI - Most of us expats don't cover our heads, but do carry a scarf with us just in case we are asked to.. I have been here since Sept & never had too (knock on wood), but I know at a few malls when women are shopping in the mornings they are being asked to.

Hi lady
I m ahmed from jeddah actually in Saudi Arabia there is no social life. Off course you must wearing a abeya.  In side the compound there is no problems.