Considering Move to Germany

Hello!  Please forgive me if this information I am requesting is elsewhere on the forum.  I only found this site by accident about an hour ago & it looks very informative but I'm not sure if I'm getting around it quite right. 

My husband & I are retired (in our late 50s) & we are considering moving to the Kaiserslautern area.  Prior to his retirement, my husband did some work in the Kaiserslautern area & I was able to spend time with him while he was there.  We both fell in love with the country.  Since then we've often said how nice it would be if we could move there but my husband felt it was probably too expensive.  However, I have started doing some research on the internet & have discovered that the cost of buying a home is affordable, as is the cost of an automobile, & property taxes are surprisingly low.  Three very good points!

I've found some information regarding moving to Germany for work or study but what about retiring there?  Employment or student issues would obviously not apply to us.  Are there any limitations placed on people wanting to retire there?  We both have military ID cards & can access military bases if we so desire for BX & commissary privileges.  My husband gets a pension & military disability income; I receive Social Security disability income.  We have health insurance with Mail Handlers, Medicare, & military disability coverage although I understand that bases no longer supply health care to disabled vets or retirees.  I'm assuming we still pay taxes on our income to the US if we live outside the US.  Are there any taxes, other than property taxes & sales taxes, we would pay to Germany?

I'm sure there are many other questions I'm not even aware of to ask but this is a start.  I would really appreciate any help or advice. 

Thank you so much for whatever help you can give. 

Shirlee in Kentucky

Oh dear ... 40 hits but no help   : (   I'm guessing there are a bunch of students/young professionals on this forum who know nothing about retirement issues.  I will keep holding out hope though   : )

Blessings,
Shirlee

Shirlee,

My wife and I have also decided to retire in Germany.  Haven't done it yet, so I'm not speaking from experience, but here are a few things we've found out that relate to your questions.

"Qualifying" to stay in Germany is relatively straightforward.  If you can document your ability to support yourselves, you'll generally be granted permission to reside here.  Your retiree ID cards will have limitations.  As a retiree, you are no longer in Germany under the SOFA.  There are restrictions, but I can't describe them fully unfortunately.  You have open access to military bases, but there are restrictions to your PX and commissary privileges.  (I think they have to collect the German sales tax from you, for example.)

We've just started the process of trying to buy a house, so I can't offer much adivce there, but you are correct -- in areas of Germany, houses are surprisingly affordable.  (But don't even think about Munich!)

Viel Gluck!