Moving to Velassaru for work from Canada

Hi everyone,

I interviewed with a resort called Velassaru for a restaurant manager position and it seems rather promising but I am a little worried that it may be a Golden Prison! Has anyone worked there and would you be able to help me come to a decision? I also know that they do not have a staff bar - is there anywhere for me to go have a glass of wine if I want one? I have been an expat my entire life and I am not scared to be away from home and out of my comfort zone, but I do need a glass of wine every now and then. I am also a little concerned about the living and accommodation arrangements. What are the residence conditions like? What do people do for fun there? I don't want to feel like I am trapped in paradise!

Maria

did u consider to take the job offer yet? i heard is quite boring there

Hi Maria,
I don't work on the resort itself (although contact Mooch - I'm sure he'd have great insight) but as a supplier know it well, and know expats who work/have worked there who have been nothing but positive about living conditions etc. There may be no staff bar but many of the management staff can eat in restaurants/drink in the bar etc - it seems quite relaxed compared to some other places - obviously you will need to check your benefits etc linked to the position you are applying for.
Velassaru is very close to Male, so you could 'get out' more frequently than if you were working on another resort - so you could visit HIH/go to other resorts on your day off etc
Basically, if you're going to choose a 'golden prison'/resort life - you'd be beter off choosing Velassaru over a lot of the others here in Maldives!

Hope that helps a bit,

Gemma