Ankara: Gray, Arid and Unhappy

Well, I don't know from where to start and actually I'm not a blogger However recently somethings have made me cry out all about this city and I need to pour it out!. Yes, I'm talking about Ankara. I have been in various countries and cities and always found a way to spend my time so deservedly except Ankara. Before coming here, I had reasonable doubts  to think over if I should move or not. Finally I came over and settled down, yet I can honestly tell you that every detail of my doubts are justified :(. There is a lack of communication and sharing but instead there is unhappiness and a lot of poker faces. I don't wanna say that I hate this city because I know that things can get worse and worse. But I don't wanna live so deprived from many beauties, alone and unhappy. I believe that I'm not the only one who feels so who struggles to get rid of this dead-end. I just need different faces, new friendships, meetings, hang outs and fun fun fun. Maybe Ankara lovers* can convince me that there are a lot to enjoy in this city. Please advice!

Ankara is very commercial, many malls & shopping centers. It's the most boring soul-less city in Turkey. Antalya is wonderful, it's my favourite place in this country; people, beaches, nature, hills, hamams, midnight swims, boat trips, road trips, ... there's something for everyone. I found a few social clubs where one could possibly meet people & some english churches but I haven't checked them out. Ankara has a few nice parks, museums & an aquarium http://www.aquavega.com.tr/index.php Ulus has a lunar park with rides & a really cool vegas looking watershow at night & I've heard Kizilay has most of the nightlife. The embassies tend to have events listed on their websites sometimes. In Ankara it's good to have family or friends to hang out with because this city can get boring. Today was really warm, at least we.ve got spring to look foward too :)

For the most part i have to agree! This city is very unfriendly and everyone seems unhappy in general. Ankara is the center of all turkish culture, and if you have learned anything by now, Turkish culture revolves mainly around families. If you dont have any family here then most likely its not the place for you. However that is not the be all and end all. Turkey has many beautiful, entertaining and modern cities, I have heard izmir is top choice for the most modern and humble people. Given the choice I would like to move to izmir, Perhaps you should consider this? If not the previous writer is right, you could certainly register with your home embassy and get invites to most events that happen throughout the year! Sorry I could'nt be more help.

Hey Yogita,

I totally agree with you about Antalya. Before coming here, I was living in Antalya, and I had my best times ever there! I know, not only Antalya but many regions and cities have its own beauties but sometimes professional life makes you stuck in somwhere you don't like. Well, thanks for advices, I will try to find a way.

Hey Ceylanlorna,
İzmir has always attracted me, That's true. However, for my work I have stay in Ankara, at least for a now. But I'm sure that living and working in İzmir can introduce me a lot! Thanks for advises :)

your family comment is probably correct but people i have met have mostly been friendly and keen to talk to me....

Yes you are right, friendship is everywhere but I didn't intend to say that the Ankara people was from another planet or not open to have communication with others. However I insist on my thoughts for the this city: Gray, Arid and unhappy...

ankara people = melbourne people then hehehehe