Rude shop keeper

I am an expat that living in muscat. Just want to share some story. It is always a usual things happening here. It is always my bad luck or maybe some of other people experience the same thing with me. Smell of discrimination is always happening here.

Today i just went out just want to have a look for a new phone. And unfortunately i choose to go to L*L* hypermarket and there is phone shop Z*hr* phone. I just ask the shop keeper few question while waiting patiently that he handling other customer also. Im asking about samsung s4 n note 3.. Then im thinking which one i should buy for valentine's gift for my wife. The shop keeper always replying very rude when im asking about the spec n the different between the two.
I just try to be cool and ignoring him and didnt ask him anymore question. N i start googling w my phone bcoz there is no use asking to the store keeper.
After all i decided to ask one more question about the price. Then i ask is there any discount because since i was there few customer buying phones n got 5-7 rial discount. Then he start to shout at me 'hello if u dont want to buy just go out from the store' then i reply him back ' i just ask u bcoz i saw u giving discount to ur indian customer n local customer also. If it just bcoz im not the same nationality w you and u treating me like this i will never come back to ur shop n dont worry i will leave from ur store right now' then i left him w very upset feeling.

So fellow expat maybe u can suggest me some shop in oman that will treat the customer the same even we are south east asian nationality and maybe i can suggest you not to go to z*hr* phone shop in L*l* hypermarket in wadi kabir

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience.

I would call it poor customer service rather than calling it "Dicrimination" ... Unfortunately there is no proper customer service in Oman and such situations happens on a daily basis to everyone not only to you; so take it easy and get over it.

Making your own research about the product you intend to buy is very important thing to be done beforehand. Don't count much on the knowledge of the sales person as it may not help you much while making the purchase decision.

Thanks for ur reply vido..first i dont want to think for discrimination but after all others customer (mostly indian, sorry not mean to be racist) are treated very well since they speak the same language not english n even they got discount too n i try to look on myself am i asking to many question to him or am i dressed like very poor guy that cant afford to buy phone. Anyway this lesson make me understand more n yes i will take ur advice to do a research first then comparing the price from one shop to another by asking the price only not the spec or asking suggestion from the store keeper

I believe he got upset because you asked him about specifications. I can bet on this that these guys themselves have no clue of the spec differences in the models and don't know how customers are to be treated.

At the cost of stirring the hornet's nest, I must add my two bits to this rather sensitive topic : Yes, racism and social discrimination is very much rampant in Muscat - in different forms, and at different places.

Locals treat western expats very differently to the way they treat the Asian expats; the salary scales of the western expats are very different to those of the Asian expats holding the same or similar jobs and in similar positions; shopkeepers, more so in the upmarket malls and hypermarkets, treat different nationalities differently, depending on their skin colour; the way they are dressed, the way they speak, et al.

Perhaps racism and discrimination may not be as obvious and as open as they may be in certain other countries, but here in Muscat, Oman, it is quite prevalent in its own subtle and sometimes not so subtle way.

That's one of the main reasons why despite such high concentrations of various nationalities living and working together, social intermixing of nationalities, languages and cultures are almost non existent. As they say, birds of the same feather flock together.

"Birds of the same feather flock together" That's exactly what was meant to be explained by Incaroad in the initial post. The salesman is super friendly with his country fellows and disregarding other people. Locals were not part of the story as the salesman wasn't a local person.

I don't disagree with Sumitran in his views, I totally understand them as its true explanation to whats happening around Oman, however after having lived in other Gulf Countries, and visited quite many countries, the same happens everywhere else in the world. Its a global issue and exist in every country in different ratios.

I have been there many times, when I go shopping and the salesman start looking at what I'm dressing, the way I speak or where I come from; or in other instances;  where do I live, what car model I'm driving or what kind of smart phones I'm having with me. Sometimes the salesman is of the same nationality as mine; but that doesn't make my life easier.

Life is for the living, such situations happens and will keep happening; how we react to it, is the key!

It's quite a sensitive topic indeed. Racism has increased much in Oman since last couple of years. The locals give respect to a "White" cobbler more than they treat an "Asian" engineer. This is what I have widely observed. Anyway, coming to the topic, I agree with Harsh that even the salesman doesn't know the specs of the android fone, hence it's better to do the R&D on whatever the phone you're purchasing via Google and then go to the shop.

P.S, please don't be so humble with the salesmen out there in the market.....unless he/she shows respect. A simple piece of advice.

Yeah it often happen everywhere. We can conclude that most of the store keeper like them do not care about service quality. Such store will never grow unless it also improving its service quality.
We as expat need to show them a good attitude and behaviour sinve we live here or anywhere outside our home country.

[Moderated: Inappropriate]

I wl suggest u brother that evry time u go for a shop try to find always filipino coz they r well mannered nd hospitble to customers , y nt go n emax  sales man there r all well manerd evn nt filipino , all r well orientd by there managers!

Xenia!
I'm seeing a feeling of Racism here.....  Please avoid being specific.

Yes i agree with sumitran and vido on the points that you stated above.please also take note that racism exist all over the world not only in Oman. Sad but true.society is too superficial, they tend to judge you on the exterior, the brand of your clothes, the fancy car you drive and the size and location of your house.