Registering as a freelance writer in Norway

Hi, I very recently moved to Norway, about 10 months ahead of schedule due to a volunteering opportunity arising. In the next couple of days I will be registering on the UDI registering scheme. Apparently after five years I can apply for a citizenship.

I was wondering who I need to inform about the fact that I'm a self-employed writer? (I volunteer for 25 hours a week and write the rest of the time). My friend suggested I go along to the tax office, but I didn't know if registering myself as self-employed is something I can do online?

Any advice would be great! I want to make sure that I do everything right. Thank you in advance.

first of all, I asked an admin to move your thread to the Norway forum rather than in this general expat forum.

second of all, I do recommend going to the tax office because they're helpful for all these kinds of things and you know you're getting the information straight from the horse's mouth! You could also call them but I have better experience in person. Don't you have to go there anyway to register after you go to the police?

Finally, I'm just curious, why are you interested in getting citizenship in Norway? Most people seem quite wary of it given that you are required to relinquish other citizenships before you can adopt it.

Thank you for your advice and for moving my post. I totally forgot to put it in the Norway section. Living in Norway has been a dream since childhood. It's what I've wanted more than anything. I love the country. I love the language. I love the history. I love the culture. I want to be a permanent part of it. (:

thread moved to the Norway forum ;)

Norway offers great incentive for writers in term of taxes, one of those being that you need to invoice VAT for your production work. The best for you if you intend to sell of your work, like writing chapter of books, or articles, is to create a company called ENK. It has minimum registration fee and will allow you to get a VAT number, thus more easily being able to invoice your productions.

Thank you so much for your advice. I really do appreciate it. (:

Hi,
You can register a 'sole trader' business for free if the business name includes part of your name and the business is obvious (I registered Ian Anderson Artisan) so for example anything like Metcalf Plumbing Services (!), Metcalf Copywriting, Metcalf Poetry etc should work ok.

You can even register the business name and then have a different trading name too.

You can do it here.... http://www.brreg.no/english/

You'll also need https://www.altinn.no/en/ as well.

VAT is not too bad to figure out with returns every couple of months although you can apply to do it annually but that would make me lazy with my accounts lol!

I know this wasn't your question, but I think you have to live in Norway for 7 years now before applying for citizenship:
http://www.udi.no/Sentrale-tema/Statsbo … ed-soknad/

I think it used to be five years. I find people's attitudes to citizenship very interesting. A lot of expats I speak to in Norway would never consider taking citizenship, for a variety of interesting reasons (e.g. not being allowed dual citizenship, potentially being drafted into the army etc.). I also know some people who have taken on Norwegian citizenship. I think I might start a new topic on the forum to discuss people's thoughts on the topic.

Good luck with the writing.

Thank you dearly for this advice! (:

Thank you very much!