Convoy For Babies (CFB) HCMC --> Đồng Nai 2/23/2014

Hi folks.  Hope you enjoyed your lunar new years celebrations.  Now as the country starts back its economic engines, it's a great time to take notice of those left behind...by this I really mean left behind...as in abandoned!  We're talking about babies!  February is a great time to love babies!  So here's your chance.

Details of the run:

Who: Anyone who wants to make a difference.

As of 2/22/2013 - 22h46, the list includes:
Tran Hung Dao, 1, motorbike
N.T.T.N, 2, motorbike, will meet at Big C
Co Van, 1, motorbike, will meet at Big C
Dannytan, 1, bus to Big C, need ride thereafter
theho84, 1, motorbike

What: Charity convoy to bring food (formula) and diapers to babies at an orphanage.

Where: Starting in HCMC, meet at Sài Gòn Bridge (Cầu Sài Gòn) to convoy via motorbike.

When: 7 O'clock Sunday morning, February 23, 2014.

Why: To feed and play with abandoned babies, get Expats out of the City and smell the roses (okay, would you settle for trees?)

http://s8.postimg.org/yqat2cead/formulagift.jpg

Here's the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) for more details:

Could you please give a little more information as to the address of the orphanage?
The orphanage we will be going to is called Chùa Diệu Pháp located at Tân Cang hamlet, Phước Tân commune, Long Thành district, Đồng Nai province (ấp Tân Cang, xã Phước Tân, huyện Long Thành, tỉnh Đồng Nai). It is about 10 minutes from the Mango Garden Resort (Du Lịch Sinh Thái Vườn Xoài).

Also is the orphanage in a temple?
It's a compound with a worship area in the front and the back area is where the kids live. About 5-8 Buddhist nuns run the place with a few hired helpers.

How many hour are we expected to be on the road, to and fro?
The last convoy there took about 2-1/2 hours total, with 1.5 hours driving. From HCMC to Big C at the Hà Nội Highway and Vũng Tàu Highway crossing in Biên Hòa City, it took an hour and the driving from Big C to the orphanage was about 30 minutes. We rested, ate fresh bread, and bought formula at Big C for about an hour. Coming back is on your own so you can "pedal to the metal" if you like or mosey at a leisure pace taking in the sights.

How much time are we expected to be spending there?
You're free to leave on your own after you play with the babies. But generally on Sunday's the temple will invite any guests that come to hang around and eat their Bánh xèo (kind of like a Vietnamese Omelette made from batter instead of eggs).

Usually 1/2 a day or you can block out your calendar from 7 AM to 2 PM to include the driving to and fro.

What activities can we do or can't we do?
You can play with babies, pick em up, sniff em. You can take pictures. After you're done, you can wander around the orphanage and check out the bigger kids and adults. It can get overwhelming with all the sadness so I just focus on the babies.

That's pretty much it. The main focus is to bring formulas to feed the babies because they don't have natural milk from their mothers.  The last trip in December 22, 2013, we did bring some stuffed animals as well as formula.  And I did noticed they need some diapers.  You can search "Convoy For Babies" in expat-blog or read up on a few threads of our past activity. 

December '13 CFB Run

November '13 CFB Run

September '13 CFB Run

wish i could be there but my plane wont land until tuesday morning :(  hopefully ill make the next one

Me too. I wish to be there to join you!

topic sticked

Sticked ??????,what's sticked

mark stutley wrote:

Sticked ??????,what's sticked

Pinned to the top. ;)

Julien wrote:

topic sticked

Thanks

i think what you do is amazing, i also help with homeless people in england. i will be happy to join you on the next one in december, i only arrive july 2014 hcmc.

Hi,

I won't be able to make this however was wondering how to go about volunteering at the orphanage & donating nappies/formula etc.

Thanks

GB13 wrote:

Hi,

I won't be able to make this however was wondering how to go about volunteering at the orphanage & donating nappies/formula etc.

Thanks

Meet the convoy at the Bridge before it takes off and we can carry your donations to the orphanage.  As for volunteering, if you are living in HCMC, then you might want to look for a closer orphanage to volunteer your time.  This target orphanage is in Đồng Nai province about 2 hours away.

Hi Tran Hung Dao,

I am interested in coming along with the convoy this sunday. How many do you have confirmed so far? Also how much are you looking for people to donate fro this trip.

Thanks,

Duy

theho84 wrote:

Hi Tran Hung Dao,

I am interested in coming along with the convoy this sunday. How many do you have confirmed so far? Also how much are you looking for people to donate fro this trip.

Thanks,

Duy

Hi Duy,

I keep a rolling/updated list in the first post of this thread (I just edit the date and update the list) under the "Who" title.

Who: Anyone who wants to make a difference.

As of 2/20/2013, the list includes:
Tran Hung Dao, 1, motorbike
N.T.T.N, 2, motorbike, will meet at Big C
Co Van, 1, motorbike, will meet at Big C
Dannytan, 1, bus to Big C, need ride thereafter

What: Charity convoy to bring food (formula) and diapers to babies at an orphanage.

So far most of the participants are joining the CFB midway at the Big C in Biên Hòa.  But I will stick to the plan if anyone from HCMC wants to go and will convene at the Sài Gòn Bridge (Cầu Sài Gòn).

As for financial donations, usually 1 can of baby formula will suffice (around $10 or 220,000 VND).  When we get to Big C, we pool the money, count it and figure out how many cans of baby formula we can buy.  We keep our limit to 20 cans in order to give us an excuse to "resupply" in two months.  This time we'll calculate for diapers too but preference goes to baby formula since it aids in the formation of the brain.

With that said, the more important gift is your time since babies love to be held, played with, paid attention to.  The little boy in the picture above that I posted playing with a can of formula loves to get out of his crib.  He's a little bigger than the rest of the babies but man is he a tank!  You can probably take him outside and teach him how to carry a football (American football)!  Only bad part is he hates it when you have to go and put him back in his crib - cries and throws a hissy fit. There are also one very docile girl that is so easy to play with for anyone "afraid" of babies.  The baby room also has one older boy who has cerebral palsy.  My first visit I was unsure what to do but now I just tickle his ribs and he smiles...

So if you're a starving student or a backpacker down on his/her luck, just come because we pool our donations and nobody will call you out for not having any money.  Your "presence" is the best "present" for these babies.

Thanks for the quick response. THough my plans might change count me in for Sunday. I live in Binh Thanh so I'm very close to Saigon Bridge.

Duy

theho84 wrote:

Thanks for the quick response. THough my plans might change count me in for Sunday. I live in Binh Thanh so I'm very close to Saigon Bridge.

Duy

Okay, I assumed there's 1 person in your party and you have your own motorbike.

Hi Tran Hung Dao,

According to the Ben Thanh bus attendant, bus 12 go to Bien Hoa Dong Nai. It will also according to him pass by Big C. I will have to catch the first bus at 6.30 morning to Big C at 8am. Meet you guys at the Big C and I will need a ride from there to the place.

ciao'
danny

Hope you all have a wonderful day, sorry I can't be there again as I'm Dalat ( looking to do coffee with any xpats) don't forget your tissues Ok

Yes I will be coming by myself and my motorcycle. I guess we meet up at the new Big C in D2 at 8:30?

theho84 wrote:

Yes I will be coming by myself and my motorcycle. I guess we meet up at the new Big C in D2 at 8:30?

No, if you're coming from HCMC, I'll meet you at the bridge at 7 AM.  I will be there anyways in case someone shows up unannounced.  We then convoy to Big C which usually takes 1.5 hours at a slow convoy pace.  Estimated Time of Arrival is 8:30 because that's when Big C opens.

1 motorbike = a ride
2 motorbikes or more = a convoy

We're good to go! 

Any last minute participants, just show up before 7:00 AM tomorrow morning at the Sài Gòn bridge on the far-side east-bound lanes; meaning the bridge is at your back and the sun is in front of you at this time of the morning.

http://i.imm.io/1gEQU.jpeg
The expanded "second" bridge has since opened and is used for eastbound traffic.

I think I'm at the meeting area. Don't see anyone

Results: Congratulations and thank you to my new friends who participated...convoy of 4 motorbikes with 6 people; representing Canada, Malaysia, Việt Nam and the USA.  How about that for an International Olympic event eh?

The babies thank you too with 10 more large formula cans (900g) and 2 small formula cans (400g) to stock the nursery in addition to six packs of diapers - I think they were 28 diapers per pack.  Just in time too because I remember one of the babies had a wet diaper when I picked him up. 

That might last them a month or so.  Again thanks for coming you guys.

Hi General Tran Hung Dao,

It was a great honor to meet a great General, defender of Vietnam now the defender of underprivileged babies. Carry on the good cause and hope one day you this choice you made will make their lives better off. Great place to contribute our social ethics of care and loving. Best wow day of my 30 days stay here in Ho Chi Minh city. Nice , quiet surrounding and the temple also serve us Banh Xeo chay. Pleasure to meet you and all your loving orphanage babies.

ciao'
danny