Reg: advise to travel for work at singapore

Hi,
      I am jothi - a graduate from india,cbe-i need an advise to work at singapore and i got a contract of 2yrs term with salary of Rs.75000/- indian money is it possible to live up there and can save a few kind advise required. Be a good adviser and let me what is true. i have planned to come along with my friend.

The currency in Singapore is the Singapore Dollar (S$). All payments and prices are in S$, not in Rs.
According to online currency converters (which you could also used yourself), Rs75k is approx. S$1500.
This is NOT enough to survive as a single person, even in a cheap sublet room (minimum S$800/month).
In addition, the minimum salary required to get an S-Pass (a kind of work visa for technically skilled people) is S$2200/month, and for an EP (a work visa for graduades) it is S$3300/month.

Do NOT agree to a scheme where, to get you a visa, the employer declares a higher salary than you actually get, or where you return a part of the higher salary back to them.
And do NOT pay for an employment agent to get you the job or process the visa.
This is both illegal in Singapore and people proposing this to you are not honest!

Dear Beppi,

Thanks for your reply really i have no idea about all these and that is why i asked through this website, they said accommodation is free, and please let me know weather i could get job in singapore from being here in india, how to get visa??i have no idea with this, kindly help me. i have work experiance in india around 2 1/2years and i am going to complete my post graduation within couple of months, kindly guide me, this link is more useful and guiding people in a proper way, feeling good to know our queries getting solved.

It is very difficult as a fresh graduate and foreigner to find a job in Singapore. To hire you, an employer would have to prove to the authorities that there are no suitably skilled locals available. Unless you have special niche skills, there are enough local fresh graduates who can do the same as you.
If you really want to work in Singapore, I recommend you first get three years work experience in a field where demand outstrips supply, and then try to apply for jobs here again. To efficiently apply for jobs here, you have to be in Singapore, so arrange a trip and stay as long as you can afford (a month is not enough!) for your jobsearch.

75000 looks big from Indian perspective, but it's very less in Singapore. On the positive side, that will give you an entry into Singapore market and you can move up. Initially, you might have to struggle a bit, but in the long term, you can sell your expertise and rise up.

Hi Jothy,

$1500/month is about the kind of wage locals would get from retail sales job in a mall (e.g. clothes shop), fast food job, etc. Some jobs (including financial sector, etc) do have a base salary less than that but with bonuses/commission added on top. That said, yours is really higher because of free accommodation, so let's say it's equivalent to $2000-$2500/month.

Keep in mind it's difficult for a foreigner to live as cheaply as a local since you don't have the social network. You'll find it more difficult to find things at best value and will have to pay for things a local might call on friends to do as a favour. A lot of the locals living on $1500/month are living with their families etc and everyone in the household is contributing together. If your accommodation is included you're in a much better position as that's a big expense in Singapore.

There are also, as beppi said, visa restrictions tied in with your salary. Try browsing around the MOM website:
http://www.mom.gov.sg/Pages/default.aspx

...and just make sure there's nothing dodgy going on. Your employer should be able to sort out visas if things are legit. Yes, there are conditions where they have to prove a local couldn't do it just as well - I find it hard to predict who'll get a yes and who'll get a no.

I definitely agree with Zion that if you're young and single and don't mind slogging it out a bit it can be something that gets you started. I definitely remember getting started (not in Singapore) on what was technically less than minimum wage and living in very dodgy shared accommodation and subsisting on plain noodles but it all worked out in the end and sometimes it's best to see it as part of the adventure.

I guess you have to ask yourself what would happen in the worst case if you couldn't sustain yourself on that wage. In my case, I was going to lose X amount of cash which I had saved and was not obligated to use for another purpose, and then I'd have to go home again where someone would feed me as I started over - I was prepared to risk it. Not sure about your responsibilities/safety net. $1500/month + accommodation isn't exactly a big margin for error.