From Seattle to Sweden to London? I need a little help :)

Hi there.  I am an American from Seattle who has been living for one year in Sweden with my boyfriend.  I have two questions for all of you expats out there. 

1. Citizens of EU countries are allowed to move within the EU to live and work.  As a non-EU citizen partnered with am EU citizen would I have any real options to also live and work in another EU country?  I currently have a temporary resident permit that makes me eligible to live, work, and receive healthcare here in Sweden.

2. What do EU citizens do about their healthcare needs when not travelling but instead relocating to another country?  Since we would not be citizens of the country we settle in, I assume we would not be eligible for their national healthcare.

Here is some background on me: 

I would like to work and attend university wherever my partner and I settle.  I feel very limited and cooped-up here in Sweden, and after one year I have become very depressed and dissatisfied with my life.  I love my boyfriend, but I do not want to spend the rest of my life in Sweden.  I cannot go on this way and need to get my life back on track.

My partner is currently tied down to his job in the tourism industry which is why we are in the middle of nowhere.  We live in those places that are nice to visit on holiday, but life is more like a cage to me while settled here.  My options for friends, hobbies, work, studies, entertainment, shopping, healthcare, and quite literally everything are limited by our location.  If we are going to make it as a couple, I need more from my home place, and soon.

Since there is no turning back time and I have left my home in Seattle I do not wish to struggle recreating what I had there before, although that is probably one of the easier choices at this point.  I prefer that even if things are not working out in this village that I move on to vibrant city, full of life, here in Europe.  I will travel to London in May to see if it's as nice a place as I think it might be for me, and us.

I do not want to return to the U.S. for so many reasons.  I never felt at home in America and always dreamt of moving away.  I never thought of moving to Sweden.  Now Melbourne I could see!  Oh, warm, lovely sunshine, mmm.  But I fell in love and found myself in Sweden.  I made a huge step by giving away all that I had in Seattle including a lifetime of belongings that made a very comfortable and complete home which gave me some of the security I crave.  I left behind a workplace I loved, beautiful scenery, wonderful live music, my family, friends who pulled me out to have fun on the town, and a lot more. 

I was naïve when I moved here for love thinking that I would overcome all obstacles in my new home rather easily because my partner and I would be united.  In reality the language barrier is huge, at least in the small villages we live in.  I imagine the majority who settle in Stockholm have a much different experience with SFI courses, meeting English-speaking expats, and just general everyday life.   

My original plan has been grasping to find a way to make things work for me here for two more years until I am then eligible for citizenship.  I am forced to realize that it is killing me to feel so stagnant.  Because I have felt very isolated and lonely, over time I have become a shrinking violet.  I find Swedish more difficult to grasp than I anticipated.  I cannot wait until I am fully fluent to go back to school or and have the career I desire.  Things have to change soon.

I need to feel the pulse of the city once more.  Greater Seattle at 4.5 million people is half the population of all of Sweden.  Everywhere in Sweden seems nearly identical to me.  The trees and lakes and little red cottages… Where is the variety?  I miss international cuisine, plays, ballet, art, concerts, gardens, and people of different colors!  I have come to the conclusion that it is far more convenient to live in the city and visit the country than vice versa.  Life begins to feel too short to put my life on the back burner. 

I think I have only a few options.  I can stay here and waste away.  That is not preferable.  I can return to Seattle and struggle to get my life back on track there where at least I will have immediate options to attend school, work, and play.  I would encourage my partner to join me but he is hesitant to leave his job at all, and insists that it is not an option to abort his partnership in his company for at least two more years.  I have tried so hard this year, and I just don't have two more years in me to hold on here like this.  If he will not join me then I will have to return to Seattle because I don't think I am a viable candidate for residency most places without being a part of a couple. 

I think the best possible compromise for us would be to move to an actual city here in Europe.  Stockholm is a possibility but I will still run into the same language barriers that I believe will make education and career nearly entirely impossible.  I am all for learning the local language but that takes me a good deal of time and I would like to have a life while adapting.  I think that is fair.  I know it would be a financial strain, but I still think London is the better option since it sounds to have a lot of what I want in a home aside from the Seattle-like weather.  And since my boyfriend and I both speak English we could be off and running from the start. 

I am sure some of you who were not EU citizens and must have partners who needed to relocate to another country for work while you were together?  I don't think that there is any way I have the same legal right to live and work anywhere outside of Sweden the way my boyfriend does.  Is that correct?  If so, that rules out anywhere else in Europe for at least two more years.  In that case, I think moving back to Seattle might be my only choice since I am 31 and need to get some momentum back in my life.

We are prepared to marry to make his immigration to the U.S. less of a struggle.  In Sweden most do not marry until they have been together a good while and likely had children, but I know that outside of Scandinavia cohabitation is not at the same level as marriage.  We will try to work things out to make a solution possible.  For those of you who have been through similar struggles, do you have any advice for us?  Thank you so much.

Hi Sati,

Take a look at this site,it should give you most answers to your questions:

www.ukimmigrate.co.uk

as far as I'm aware,you do not need to get married in order to obtain residence in London:as long as you can prove (through bills,letters and testimonies) that you and your boyfriend have been living together for 2 years,you are considered his partner.
You can enter the UK as a tourist alongside with him.(but you need approval from the consulate first)

if he decides to work in the UK,you'll have permission to work too.But your visa is tied to his staying.

If you decide to study for a full time course (15 hours),long term (over 6 months),then you are allowed to work up to 20h/wk,40h/wk during holidays.But for a student visa you must apply to the British consulate before you leave and pay fees.A student visa would not be connected to your partner,you'd be independent.

There is also a special visa available for "highly skilled migrants" allowing you to find work in a sought after field.It's on a points system admission.Look through the uk consulate site and download the forms.

As for health I am not sure what you're entitled to,it depends in what capacity you enter the country.I know that visitors can get registered temporarily at their local doctor's with just a passport or other ID.You can also use walk in clinics as a tourist,and emergency services at the hospital.It is not clear whether hospitals have started charging non EU or not.

If you and your boyf decide to come up to London,why not drop in and say hello to the Scandinavian Kitchen = www.scandikitchen.co.uk, they are very nice people and can give you the insider's!

I can't help you out in this one, but I wish you loads of luck !

Hello Sati,

I can sortof understand where you're coming from. I'm from Southern CA and currently live in England with my husband whose from Sweden and our two boys. Our life together in Europe started in Italy and to avoid all immigration issues we just got married. Very quickly I might add. We lived in Italy for a year, neither of us spoke the language and immigration there was interesting to say the least. Then we moved to England for his job and since we're married I have the right to everything that an EU citizen does but I do have to fill out the "landing card" when flying in. I've been registered at 3 different surgeries and have never had to prove residential status. Never showed any form of ID. Nothing. I even had a baby here (and Italy) and didn't show proof of anyhing a single time. We live in a small village, not a big city and I definitly do not miss it. London is sooooo crowded, as any big city is. I think you and I differ in that I want to go back home badly. I'm very homesick and miss the sunshine and the warm beaches. All my friends and family are 5,000 miles away and its very difficult when you have kids and the grandparents miss them growing up. Regarding your question on EU citizens being eligible for the NHS of the country that they aren't a citizen of, my husband has full access to all health care, as do I. My visa is dependent on if my husband is living here. So if he goes, so must I. I think after 5 years I'll be eligible for citizenship which I may or may not do. I have about 2 years to decide. I hope I've been of some sort of help :) If you have any questions for me, please don't hesitate to ask! Good luck to you!

The homesickness blues is common when moving to another country. The first three years are the crucial barrier. I once lived in California. Although I loved the sun and the beaches that was a miserable experience too in many ways until I crossed the three year barrier; lonely, isolated (everyone more or less live in their car), no culture, not understanding how the people were thinking, not understanding their jokes and so on. It all takes time. I also found that all places I saw were basically the same: the same mcdonalds, stores, malls everywhere. If you landed somewhere at random you really would not know where you were, because it all looks the same.
I moved back to Europe after many years in the U.S.A and was able to see Europe from a different perspective and know this is where I want to live.