Canadian Pensions and time out of country.

Hello everyone, Thanks for all the great info your posting here! How does it work for CPP, and old age pensions. Are we entitled to still recieve them if we become fulltime residents in another country? Dont you have to return to Canada for so many months of the year to still be eligible for benifits here such as health care and pensions? Sorry if i'm sounding naive I have just started looking into retiring to a new country and i really like the sounds of Belize and all it offers. I like the idea of renting for a year or so to see before buying but also like the idea of buying in a  secure gated community such as orchid bay. any help would be greatly appreciated.

With CPP and old age pensions you do not have to be in Canada any amount of time to receive them. You can even ask that they deposit the money in your foreign bank. Unfortunately, even though you pay your taxes in Canada on the money you do get, you are not entitled to health care if you are out of the country beyond your province's limit. I believe across the country it is now 7 months in some, and 8 months in others.

Any idea concerning the retaining health is it measured on min. # of days in the canada per year or have to simply be in canada every 7-8 months.  Eg. visit family for 2 weeks and then return.  Would this still retain health coverage?

My understanding is that it is the # of days in Canada. Of course they would need to ask you. I have never heard of anyone being asked this question when going to a doctor, or hospital and I have worked around a lot of reception areas. The only logic for a rule like this to me is for all the Canadians that have just lived in the country long enough to be Canadians and don't live there now, and don't pay taxes there, which is how the system is financed.

Thanks for your response