4weeks

:par:  four week into my my life here in HCM, I'm am ready to leave. I've had enough.....people are some what rude, staring,  take advantage of foreigners and what get me most is the double price list for local and foreigners. Big mistake !!!!!!!

bye...have fun in the land of smiles and sex

OBB wrote:

Thailand?

milkybunnyHCM wrote:
OBB wrote:

Thailand?

yes he has hinted of going there.   i guess VN is not "friendly" enough

4 weeks , why did you wait so long . I dont think i will miss your inane postings

Happy8888 wrote:

4 weeks , why did you wait so long . I dont think i will miss your inane postings

I have never spoken about Thailand ......insulting me only proves my point on this posting. What is "inane" mean? Why do people have to attack others over trivial postings?

Oh no.. what happened?

I hope you still stay in our beautiful country.

"Trivial postings " says it all . Did you ever consider that HCMC or Vietnam in general ,may not actually be your problem , but your self confessed insecurities are the basis upon which your problems are founded .

I find that Vietnam or any other SEA country has its good, and not so good qualities . However , one must adapt to these situations in order to avoid any self perceived shortcomings or perceptions

In this case , i think that the old adage applies "You can take the boy out of the country , but you cannot take the country out of the boy . I also have a feeling that it does not matter where you travel , you will carry this problematic trait with you

As for the word "inane" - "Lacking sense , significance or ideas " " Pointless , silly , or void of justification "

I suggest that you utilise "Dictionary.com " in future to assist you

This is not a personal attack on you my friend . I have monitored all your posts since you joined this forum, and quite frankly you appear to be a 50 something year old male, who has just discovered the intricacies of life and has no idea on how to deal with them  . I wish you the best of luck , and encourage you to stick it out instead of throwing the towell in and moving your issues to a different playing field   

Embrace this beautiful country and all it has to offer , stop dwelling on the negatives , the unknown and live your life in a more astute and positive manner

District 1 is not Vietnam. I have had the pleasure of visiting at least 24 countries and lived in a few. Vietnam does have some negatives but is by far the finest place I have ever experienced. The people are friendly; the food is great and the weather terrific (Not to mention the beautiful women). In America if a white or black basketball player walks down the street, everybody will look because he's different not because of anything else.  I wonder........are you a troll? How can anyone dislike Vietnam?

Dear all,

As you are all aware, every country has its pros and cons.

However, posting on a public forum should be done in mutual respect.

Personal attacks are not allowed on Expat.com.

It is perfectly normal if one member's life in one country is different from another member.

So, let's get back to the title of this thread while having in mind not to be offensive.

Thank you for your understanding,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

@Hasnaa  - i don't think anybody has gone overboard - yet. but a little rancour and/or impatience is normal and without it - this site could be a bit boring. What I find unusual is the lack of Vietnamese readers attacking some of the negative comments. It would be nice to see some defence regardless of right or wrong.

You should come down to Vung Tau for a weekend

Wow! What an evaluation!
'Squeezing' (about price) foreigners is not a new thing here or any other place. If we care surely they don't take advantage. When we consider majority of facts, I can say it's a nice country to live.

I do believe wrote:

District 1 is not Vietnam. I have had the pleasure of visiting at least 24 countries and lived in a few. Vietnam does have some negatives but is by far the finest place I have ever experienced. The people are friendly; the food is great and the weather terrific (Not to mention the beautiful women). In America if a white or black basketball player walks down the street, everybody will look because he's different not because of anything else.  I wonder........are you a troll? How can anyone dislike Vietnam?

I think you hit the nail on the head! District 1 is definetely not Vietnam. I live in Bien Hoa and have spent quite a bit of time in Phu Quoc and Hai Phong and there is big differences between all of them.

Thank for the comment and advice, the personal attack can be left out of course, I've been to most of Vietnam, it not a culture shock issue, I was happily married to a vietnamese lady for 16 years, my ex inlaws still live here and have assisted me in the transition. Maybe life will get better once I buy a motobike and I'm abke to get around. I don't know , I'm sorry if my comments offended anyone , just need to vent ..

Buddy , as far as i am concerned your comments didnt even come close to offensive . Its just the negativity   and generalising i cant get my head around

I do believe wrote:

What I find unusual is the lack of Vietnamese readers attacking some of the negative comments. It would be nice to see some defence regardless of right or wrong.

Can't generalize about Vietnamese readers, but I would suspect their English skills are not up to snuff to participate in lengthy discussion.

I can only speak for myself. This is a general answer, not an attack to anyone on this thread. I also consider myself a Vietnamese in a way, even though I have lived abroad more than in Vietnam and no longer a Vietnamese citizen.
I am here to help other expats.
I don't want to waste my time, energy (not to speak about manners) engaging in destructive and useless discussions.
I believe in the intelligence of the mass. Those who make a fool of themselves will be seen by everyone as such eventually, thus also lose their credibility in whatever they are saying. Therefore, no point to discredit.

Confucian has said that to live among the mass, one has to be willing to let a lot of wrong things go (without having to correct all of them)

Happy8888 wrote:

Buddy , as far as i am concerned your comments didnt even come close to offensive . Its just the negativity   and generalising i cant get my head around

I'll agree I tend to be a negitive person, it my nature, I'll change....it hard after my wife past away to think positive, my two daughter are my only joy.....I'm hoping that luck will change here in HCM

Sounds like you need someone -or something- to vent to. Posting on a forum where no one knows or cares about you just welcomes attacks and criticism, it's not unique to this site. Perhaps a private blog would help? After venting it out you will feel better and no one will be around to react.

Another thing to remember is that this is (or was) a special time of year. Tet is a very special time and most expats just think of it as a fun time but for the Vietnamese it can be a very stressful time as well.
There are lots of things to plan and lots of money to be spent and many families have to save a long time just for the tet holiday. I know that my wife was very stressed out from having to plan and make everything perfect for everyone. Simple things like what flowers to put out or what foods to have ready on which days can take a lot out of a person.
When I come home from Congo in a few weeks perhaps you can join us in Vung Tau for some USDA steaks cooked out on the grill.

I definitely noticed a difference in attitudes over Tet...you could tell people who had to work and could not go be with their families were not in pleasant moods! I'm sorry if you ran into a little of that in your time here. I absolutely fell in love with HCMC right away. I found the people to be quite nice. Just today, as I was walking down the street, I was greeted with waves from the little ladies who sell me my coffee and the kind-faced boy who works at a restaurant  by my apt. It's a great place and I hope you give it a little more time :)

Hi jquinoc sorry you feel this way this is my 3rd visit in 1 year, were you giving out what you expected to receive ??? I have nothing but love and respect for these people, I  have formed a few close friendships with people on the forum and people in the street, last night,on the way from Hue airport I met a professor of English language, it is so natural for these people to welcome others today and last Wednesday I had lunch in 2 private homes. I hope your travels will open your eyes to what people here are prepared to share with us, many wishes for peace and joy, Mark.

Jquinoq wrote:

four week into my my life here in HCM, I'm am ready to leave. I've had enough.....

All I can say is "8 years".  And plan to stay until I retire, or die, whichever comes first.  And even my retirement relocation is open for discussion. It will depend on my health and the environment in HCMC at that time. Regardless, I don't think anyone can pass judgement on a place to live in only 4 weeks. You must embrace it, because to constantly find fault in everything results in misery.  When I'm in VN, I tend to complain a lot about different things, but then I go back to USA, (where I am right now) and find just as many things to complain about.  Focus on the positive, and you'll be much happier wherever you are.

saigonmonkey wrote:
Jquinoq wrote:

four week into my my life here in HCM, I'm am ready to leave. I've had enough.....

All I can say is "8 years".  And plan to stay until I retire, or die, whichever comes first.  And even my retirement relocation is open for discussion. It will depend on my health and the environment in HCMC at that time. Regardless, I don't think anyone can pass judgement on a place to live in only 4 weeks. You must embrace it, because to constantly find fault in everything results in misery.  When I'm in VN, I tend to complain a lot about different things, but then I go back to USA, (where I am right now) and find just as many things to complain about.  Focus on the positive, and you'll be much happier wherever you are.

Happy to say thing are improving and now that I've made some friends( thanks to my vnese tutor), learning how to talk in vnese, I'm enjoying the city and the culture more. Maybe it was withdrawals, lol. I even had my first date!!!  Lol  :joking: