Salary of a Secretary

Hi, I currently have a job offer as Office Secretary for a partnership company. The final offer is BD 270, inclusive of accomodation and transportation.

Is the salary enough for the job? And is it possible to only spend around BD 100 each month for food and phone bills?

Thank you in advance!

Can you please clarify if the employer will provide accommodation and transport or you have to pay for these from your salary?

Either way, it is going to be a struggle on that salary. Yes you can manage food and telephone costs within BD100 but it will be very basic.

Yes, accommodation and transportation are provided.

I think the offered salary (by the agencies in the Philippines) is between 250-300. However, I want to know if that's really the basic salary as I'm communicating directly with the employer and for me to determine if I should ask for more.

I appreciate your response. Thank you!

Angie

As a general rule you should always negotiate.

Remember it's just not food and communication costs that need to be considered. There are other matters as important - such as medical, airfare, general living expenses.

Then there is money you would send home for the folks back home.

Think through then offer very carefully before accepting anything.

Best wishes.

I'd ask for more like BD350 but I know a lot of philipino's who are friends of mine that cope easily on that salary and send quite a lot home. My maid is live in and on less but everything is included for her. She manages to send home easily BD 120 a month

Farhaz - thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this. I still have to talk to my parents about it and if I dont sign the contract, I'm gonna try again and make sure I negotiate. Kind regards

Josnuggles - Yes, everything will be provided by my employer, except for the food and other general living expenses. My plan is to send 100 at home, 100 for my monthly expense and 70 as personal savings. Thank you for answering this and please tell your Filipina housemaid I said hi! :)

Since your package is including the accommodation, you will be fine to save that amount of money. Especially if you know where to shop for food and are ready to cook at home, it will be easy for you.

Just what I needed to hear. Thank you!

Another question... In the contract I was provided with a 6-digit CPR number (XXXXX-X). Is that the correct format? I'm sorry to ask this basic question, but I just wanna make sure.

TIA :)

The CPR number is a puzzle for me. Usually it is a 9-digit number. Maybe this is some sort of reference for your employer based on a work permit they have. Better ask them what it is.

You won't get your CPR until you arrive here and have your work visa and residency permit so that is probably just an xxxxxxx in the contract that will get filled in correctly at the time. Double check this though with your employer to be certain. Also check little things like probationary period on your contract, how long the contract is for and when you can leave employment. What the penalties are if you wish to leave early. Always look at a contract from YOUR point of view. Make sure it protects you and not just the employer. Ask again if you have any-more questions.