Having a baby, wife is Vietnamese, husband is American.

Just a question about having a baby in Vietnam. A friend of mine got married here last year and is expecting a baby soon. First, what nationality should the baby have, American or Vietnamese? What route have others taken? What are the benefits of being vietnamese, other than not requiring a visa. I have read that being a child of a Vietnamese citizen allows you a visa exemption. I have been checking it out and haven't found much info. Does anyone know about dual citizenship and the pros and cons of that. I told him that being American will be most beneficial when it comes time to study at university and you will have the tuition price of an American. Any input would be helpful. Thanks

There really is no downside to getting the Vietnamese citizenship. Definitly less hassle as far as visas go and in the future when the child grows up he/she will be able to explore their Vietnamese roots. They should get the VN paperwork first before doing the CoBA at the US consulate.
I've done this twice with both of my children in Vietnam.

Don, Ok so have you researched dual citizenship, I just read that you could be responsible for taxes in both countries, have to abide by vietnamese laws including possible military. The only thing I thought to tell him was to think about how long you are planning on living here? Forever? What are the costs of a US Visa vs. Vietnam visa. What the difficulties of getting US citizenship after being vietnamese. And finally they will need to go to University overseas, as a Vietnamese education is not fully accepted internationally. There could be some downsides, it is not just a visa and passport.

It is a very easy process to get the dual citizenship. The US part only took an hour or so at the consulate.
Both of my children have US/Vietnamese citizenship

And? Benefit of that? What could they be responsible for here and in the US? I am not asking how easy the process is. I am asking if anyone has researched this and what the responsibilities they could potentially have being a citizen of two countries.

Interesting dynamics of comparing let me know any news

The benefit to us is that at some point in the future we want our children to be able to freely travel to the US for schooling and also be able to freely travel around the world. A US passport makes travel very easy.
With my children having social security numbers I can claim them on my US taxes as dependents.

If they live all their life in Vietnam then of course they would have to pay taxes here just like anyone else.  Same as if they returned to the US.

I don't think the military would be an issue either. My wife told me that anyone married to or is the child of a foreigner is barred from civil service (but I don't know if that is true or not)

VungTauDon wrote:

I don't think the military would be an issue either. My wife told me that anyone married to or is the child of a foreigner is barred from civil service (but I don't know if that is true or not)

I am pretty sure your wife is correct. I have been up in Hai Phong doing my marriage paperwork and one of the papers states that people with certain government jobs are not allowed to marry foreigners.

My wife and I are taking an alternate route. Our child will only have US citizenship, and we will get either a visa exemption or permanent resident status for her in VN. I should point out that our long-term plan is to spend more time living in the US than VN, and we currently reside in the US.

All US citizens are required to file income taxes even if they do not reside in the US. The US government has unreasonable financial reporting laws compared to other countries, but the benefits of citizenship far outweigh the hassles in my opinion. VTD also makes a good point about your taxes. You cannot claim people who do not have a SSN.

As for benefits of VN citizenship, other than not having to have a VN visa (which can be accomplished other ways) and the ability to purchase land, I can't think of any other benefits of VN citizenship, but I am not well-versed on this issue.

My point was that there is no downside to having both Vn and US citizenship. I have seen so many post on here from people who are trying to reconnect with their heritage and would love to be in a position to get their Vn citizenship. Its easy to do and is cheap.

hi Don

i think i had a argument with u on a boat to vung tau, but i dont know it was u or not.  A Caucasion guy were accusing vietnamese guy on the boat stole his ipod.  I had an argument with the caucasion guy trying to defend my countrymen. 

if it was you, i am sorry Don.  I didnt mean to argue with u

thanks

The only downside to a Vn citizenship is stated on the US government site. In the instance that something happens to your child here in Vn, the US can not do anything to step if they have dual citizenship in Vn. So long as the child is not unjustly arrested in Vietnam then I suppose there are no downsides.

Congratulations Michael

Well I have to agree with Jake. I think the future benefit will be having a single citizenship (American). Exploring your family history or even coming to Vietnam for an American is easy. Do you need a passport to tell you where half of your family came from or make you feel closer to the culture?Just from all my research to this point, it is not recommended by the US to go the route of Dual Citizenship. I read that when applying for Vietnamese citizenship, it can be denied with the mention of a potential dual US citizenship. All the questions at the borders I read about, why you left the US and never entered another country on your US passport. Explaining you are a dual citizen and holding two passports and having to go through that, doesn't sound like fun after flying 20 to 30 hours.

If your kid can have dual citizenship go for it. It's not wrong to have both but if you are force to choose (like me Im from Germany) I would def stick with the one bringing more benefits for the future.
If you decide to live long term in Vietnam a Vietnamese might be easier but if you wanna go back home an American should be the good choice. However as an American you are allowed to have both:)

You could also opt for Only-American and get the 5 years visa exemption. Only trouble is to travel out of the country every 3 months or extend it via a third person.

I would stick with the American since I cannot see myself living here when I'm old

Michael_77 wrote:

Well I have to agree with Jake. I think the future benefit will be having a single citizenship (American). Exploring your family history or even coming to Vietnam for an American is easy. Do you need a passport to tell you where half of your family came from or make you feel closer to the culture?Just from all my research to this point, it is not recommended by the US to go the route of Dual Citizenship. I read that when applying for Vietnamese citizenship, it can be denied with the mention of a potential dual US citizenship. All the questions at the borders I read about, why you left the US and never entered another country on your US passport. Explaining you are a dual citizen and holding two passports and having to go through that, doesn't sound like fun after flying 20 to 30 hours.

To my knowledge more than one passport is not allowed, so you would only have to explain if you got caught.

From my experience, you do have choices.  the father can file paperwork with Us consulate in Vietnam, he has to prove that he is American, and petition for his baby to have American citizenship.  With this citizenship, the baby can travel to the United States anytime, and can go to school in United State.  Education in the State are free from elementary school to high school,. The government will give you financial aid for school if you are poor.  Medical care in the United States are better. There are more freedom  and chance for advancement here.   As far as I know, you can also claim Vietnamese citizenship for your baby also.  I was born in Vietnam but have lived in the US for more than 30 years, I have US citizenship,.  If I want to claim my Vietnam Citizenship, I can go to the Vietnamese embassy to claim it but I do not see a need for it. 
   From my point of view, it is better if the father petition his baby for US citizenship so the baby can have a better  chance in life in case the father one day decide to bring his wife and baby back to the U.S.  Do you see how many rich people from China and other country  trying to have their baby born in the US just so their baby can have US citizenship"?

Both of my children have Vietnamese and American citizenship. Both of them will stay in Vietnam until either we decide to move to the US or we decide to send them to school there.

NinaVamp wrote:

To my knowledge more than one passport is not allowed, so you would only have to explain if you got caught.

You can have as many passports as you have citizenships.

Parmyd wrote:
NinaVamp wrote:

You can have as many passports as you have citizenships.

Did some Googling and seems it depends on nationality. I know in instance of Japan and US, you can't, so that was my real life experience with it. :)

NinaVamp wrote:

Did some Googling and seems it depends on nationality. I know in instance of Japan and US, you can't, so that was my real life experience with it. :)

Both of my children have US and Vietnamese passports.

VungTauDon wrote:
NinaVamp wrote:

Both of my children have US and Vietnamese passports.

US-Japan specifically, difficult on the Japanese end because they do not turn a blind eye to dual citizenship, like the US. But this is about Vietnam, so good to know about the passports here. ;)

I believe Japan allows dual nationality until reaching the age of 18, after which one must choose which citizenship to retain and which to relinquish.  The US allows one to hold two nationalities as long as you conform to all US requirements.  I know several people who hold both US and Vietnamese passports so it is definitely possible.  My advice would be to retain as many nationalities as possible, as long as possible.  Nobody knows what the future will bring and somewhere that seems attractive today might appear very different in 20 years...

Yeah become a citizen of every country and pay tax everywhere

If you are American than you have to report and pay taxes on all income no matter where you earn it. Vietnamese only pay taxes on work they do inside Vietnam and it is withheld by their employer so no need to file extra paperwork (for most people, there are some investment and corporate stuff that apply to some)

I have to file something here, I got the personal income tax form from my company, stamped from the government initially, then your company fills it out with your income an taxes withheld. But you are supposed to bring that in and have it finalized to make sure you paid the correct amount. Think it is similar to filing in the US. Vietnam being a growing country with laws changing daily, I won't be surprised to see them make a new requirement for citizens to file here every year, working in the country or not. But i was responding to the clown that said you should try to get as many nationalities as possible. It has been some weeks and I have researched this thoroughly, obtaining and holding one citizenship seems the most logical choice. Guessing what the possible changes in the laws of a developing country and keeping up with that seems like a major headache. So many things have changed in 3 years here.

Oh yeah, I haven't paid taxes on my income to the US in 3 years. Since we are exempt on the first $92,000 made overseas. But still need to file them to show I paid tax here.

You're not automatically exempt though. Even though I live in Vietnam now, I don't currently work here. When I did my US company paid all my Vietnamese taxes and I was able to claim that as a tax credit.

The USA is the only country that I know of, other than the Philippines,  that requires its citizens to pay tax and conform to other investment prohibitions regardless of where they are resident.  I have held more than one citizenship; in my opinion Australia, UK, Europe, if you are eligible, are far better than the US because, if you live outside your country of nationality, you are not required to comply with a variety of restrictive requirements.  Have a look at sovereignman.com to get more information on this.  And no, I am not a clown, simply an intelligent, forward-thinking and planning individual.

Dude, do you just like to argue, or can't you read? I said first 92,000 MADE OVERSEAS. This year I think it is closer to 97,000. You don't need to comment about something if it doesn't pertain to what was said. Why would a US company pay your taxes in vietnam. If you are working for and being paid by a US company and are a us citizen then wouldn't your taxes be paid to the US government. Who cares, I wasn't talking about that. And I haven't researched what countries require taxes to filed for a non-resident but know that the US, Canada, UK, and Australia all require it. Clowns say things like a person should be citizen of every country. Be realistic, and look at the topic.

Yes, you can't read.  I said that you should "retain" as many nationalities as you can, i.e. whichever you have when you are born you should keep until advisable to relinquish them; I didn't advise anyone to become citizens of any country where they don't have a link.  The topic deals with a child who is entitled to two nationalities; in my opinion the child should keep both for the time being.  As far as the intricacies of US tax law, if you only earn less than 92 or 97k you have to file but receive an exemption.  If you earn more, which most of my work colleagues did, you have to file and pay US tax.  In addition, the AMT calculation ignores all tax you may have paid to your host country so you can end up paying twice on the same income.  That is one reason why a record number of US citizens gave up their citizenship in 2013.

"you should "retain" as many nationalities as you can"
Amen. Very true. You never know what will happen. Very clever.

I wish I could freely choose citizenships. Id collect few I like. I don't care what is my original nationality or future one, all I care is freedom of move.

You can also have more passports per each country by the way.
Plus longterm residences in countries you prefer.
That's what I love. Great to feel freedom, easy to escape a country if you get bored there (including "rich"  west). I just fly and don't pay visa in a country I like,  not being bother staying long..

VungTauDon - it's worse than that. my Vitenames sister in law is a tescher, and although she is qualified, she will nevr be promoted to principal, because her two sisters are married to foreigners.

Sounds like my niece who finished 4-years petroleum engineering only to find out she can never work in the industry in Vietnam because she's a girl.