Hi Jinan!

Hi everyone! My name's Alexandra but people call me "Lix" (think Alex, Ah-lix).

I'm really excited to be moving to Jinan on the 19th to begin teaching at Best Learning training school. My boyfriend recently moved to Jinan two months ago to work in international law at a firm. My marketing job here in Miami unfortunately laid me off on New Years Eve and going to China made itself an opportunity for me. My mother is Chinese-Jamaican and I grew up with my parents and her parents in a Chinese household so I figured this would be a great way to experience my roots as well as help children in China learn a useful second language.

My school is in the Lixia district and my boyfriend will be about a 2-hour bus ride away from me so I'm hoping to make friends to hang out with! I'm also curious on living situations in China, anyone have any basic input or suggestions on things to bring (aside from OTC meds and whatnot) before I get there? Thanks! :)

Hi Lix,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Thank you for the detailed introduction.

Is it your first visit to Jinan?

Good luck and best wishes for the future  ;)

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

Hi Lix, welcome to Jinan.  I'm here since february 2013 (exactly one year!!), I'm in operations management for an italian-chinese joint venture here in Jinan. I sometime see a nice group of expats, all english Teachers.  You are welcome to join us !!

Take care,
Roberto

Hi Hasnaa, thank you!! :)

Cool, thank you Roberto! Do you have any suggestions on things I should bring from home that I can't find or buy in China?

Hi Lix, mhh...trying to think about your question....
Indeed you can find pretty much everything you need here in Jinan.  There is a newly built commercial area in center town with all the kinds of shops and buotiques.  Although I love chinese food, considering I'm italian, I can be a bit picky for some typical food from my Country (olive oil, parmesan cheese, coffe, etc...).  You can find these things in here too but prices are way higher than in Italy...reason why when I travel back and forth I usually bring some nice pieces of "parmigiano reggiano" and olive oil... :-)
If food doesn't represent a big renounce then you'll be all set.   One more hint...clothing is generally cheaper than in western Countries, nevertheless if you like brands from your Country make sure you bring enough clothes,  a pair of Levis jeans can surprisingly be much more expensive that in a US factory outlet store.... bring some extra pairs :-)
Very last suggestion.....  If you are planning to buy a smartphone here in China consider that some functions available in western Europe or US are not available on the chinese products.   I bought a nice SAMSUNG GALAXY 3 as I arrived here and I found later that the GOOGLE STORE was not accessable, because this function is not built in the firmware of the products sold in China.
Please feel free to ask more questions if you have anything else you cna think about,
Take care and have a safe trip !

p.s. make sure you bring some warm clothes....winter in Jinan is very cold !!

Cheers,
Roberto

Hi Lix,
The first thing to know is that Chinese mains voltage is 220V 50Hz, incompatible with US despite the sockets looking like US type. So don't bother to bring any appliances. Hair dryers and mains adapter/chargers for phones/mp3 etc are very cheap. A useful one is mains to USB which will work with most things.

Western type medication (pain killers etc) can also be a problem and although available in better pharmacies are usually in Chinese.   :unsure . Tampons are not so popular and expensive (so I am told)  :|  Unless you are in a department store don't believe any brand of anything is genuine. They have factories in China producing fake fakes now  :joking:

Try and learn some ettiquette especially if invited out for meals and also traditions regarding social aspects of life. ie the importance of red envelopes, some numbers, some colours and certain gifts. The more Chinese you learn the more impressed will be your hosts, co workers etc.

Hi Lix,

I'm also a Miami native who just moved to Jinan a few weeks ago  to teach English. Are you currently in the city? I'd love to meet up with foreigners for a drink, dinner or coffee, so let me know if you are ever available.

Hope to talk soon!

Ashley

Hello Lix,

Are you still around? I just moved to to Lixia District, 2 weeks ago.

Hey sorry! I'm not really on this thing that often. Yes, I'm still here (probably will be for a while, lol). I live in Shizhong, in the southwest suburbs of the city but I am always in Lixia hanging out. If you don't mind me asking, what school are you teaching at?

Ok, cool. I'm living at Shandong University of Art and Design. I'm at the base of Quianfoshan. Class started this week, and I'm pretty busy after 6 weeks of deadly boredom. But if you want to hang out, we can exchange work schedules. The teaching campus where I work is quite a ways away.