Civility when posing questions: i.e., should Brazil have granted . . .

On Feb. 2, 2014 wjwoodward wrote:
"Really, you surprise me... comparing the two, when everyone knew that the Japanese were preparing for war. As I said before spying on one's enemies is to a certain (and I do mean certain) degree a necessary evil. Spying on your so-called friends and private citizens is completely unacceptable no matter who you are or what the circumstance, but I wouldn't expect Americans to agree with this. Historically they've proven they can't or simply won't.

It's laughable that while you get your Fruit of the Looms all in a knot when the spying was on American citizens because that's a violation of your precious Constitution, yet you don't place equal weight on the much more important document that came before it - The Declaration of Independence - which states clearly "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." The document doesn't say "All American men", but rather ALL MEN. So clearly even your founding forefathers understood clearly that no matter where you may live you are equal. If spying on American citizens is wrong then cleary spying on private citizens anywere is wrong except in a time of war with that country would it ever be acceptable.

As this really is an "old news" thread and a hypothetical anyway I see no reason for it to remain open when it is  generating such unnecessary discord. I will be closing it.
"

This post will probably be removed, but I have to say it anyway.  Wjwoodward, I find your comments and behavior rude and offensive, particularly since you are an exert and forum facilitator.  When you pose a question, of course it will spur opinions that aren't all agreeable with yours.  That's the purpose of an open forum -- a free exchange of ideas and opinions.  Instead, when the majority of opinions did not agree with yours, you chose to denigrate the "Americans" based on nationality (as if we are a monolith and all think alike) and close the thread because it's "old news".  That's unfortunate.  I encourage you and all others to remember civility when you post or answer questions on the forum.  We won't always agree on all topics, but we can be respectful to each other.  Peace.

The whole issue is purely academic now since Brazil never offered asylum to Snowden and the whole question of his actions are really old news. He's in Russia, that appears to be where he's going to stay and that's that!

Regarding whether or not he's a "traitor" is open to the interpretation of the individual, some will obviously say yes, no matter what arguements to the contrary are presented; and others will say no. It all depends on one's political stripe and nationality I guess. As an American I'd expect you to think he's all that's evil, that's your opinion and your right to hold it is unquestionable. My opinion is completely different and my right equally unquestionable. So we agree to disagree. You're no more obligated to accept mine than I am to accept yours.

I see nothing offensive or rude about pointing out the irony that Americans who espouse one thing in their Declaration of Independence say something entirely different when talking about their Constitution. I might point out too that the US Constitution means absolutely nothing to non-Americans and outside of US territory, despite what a lot of Americans think. What any soverign nation does is their own business until they start messing around with the soverignty of other nations and that's as it should be.

I was born and raised in a country that has never had to worry much about terrorism; despite all of its other major problems Brazil too doesn't really need to worry about terrorism either because they too are a pacific people by nature. Americans on the other hand do, and how! Makes you kind of wonder why, doesn't it?

As far as the opinions posted go, I think if you look they are almost split right down the middle as I would expect them to be. What most people actually gave an opposing opinion about was if Brazil should have offered asylum. On that score the count is definitely NO. Not all members replying to the thread consider Snowden a traitor.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

tmichelle wrote:

On Feb. 2, 2014 wjwoodward wrote:
"Really, you surprise me... comparing the two, when everyone knew that the Japanese were preparing for war. As I said before spying on one's enemies is to a certain (and I do mean certain) degree a necessary evil. Spying on your so-called friends and private citizens is completely unacceptable no matter who you are or what the circumstance, but I wouldn't expect Americans to agree with this. Historically they've proven they can't or simply won't.

It's laughable that while you get your Fruit of the Looms all in a knot when the spying was on American citizens because that's a violation of your precious Constitution, yet you don't place equal weight on the much more important document that came before it - The Declaration of Independence - which states clearly "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." The document doesn't say "All American men", but rather ALL MEN. So clearly even your founding forefathers understood clearly that no matter where you may live you are equal. If spying on American citizens is wrong then cleary spying on private citizens anywere is wrong except in a time of war with that country would it ever be acceptable.

As this really is an "old news" thread and a hypothetical anyway I see no reason for it to remain open when it is  generating such unnecessary discord. I will be closing it.
"

This post will probably be removed, but I have to say it anyway.  Wjwoodward, I find your comments and behavior rude and offensive, particularly since you are an exert and forum facilitator.  When you pose a question, of course it will spur opinions that aren't all agreeable with yours.  That's the purpose of an open forum -- a free exchange of ideas and opinions.  Instead, when the majority of opinions did not agree with yours, you chose to denigrate the "Americans" based on nationality (as if we are a monolith and all think alike) and close the thread because it's "old news".  That's unfortunate.  I encourage you and all others to remember civility when you post or answer questions on the forum.  We won't always agree on all topics, but we can be respectful to each other.  Peace.

I can tell you he is not anti-American, as he is a good friend of mine.

That said this topic holds much tension as I having served in the military for US and witnessed what foreign intelligence does to assist our troops. Divulging this intelligence information to the wrong people could get people killed. And I am going to say it again. Anyone that thinks Canada, Brazil, Russia, Chine, Syria, Israel, UK, Germany and Mexico are not spying (obviously there are many more) then you need to seek professional help. In fact Canada has been accused of spying on Brazil as well just recently.

The intended purpose for said spying is the question at hand. For industrial gain? Counter-Terrorism? Military equality?

Now, that said - I do not personally care if we offended the citizens of any other country by spying on their phone calls, SMS, or what have you. They are not bound to the US Constitution like Americans are. (THANK GOD.) Spying on Americans citizens is overstepping its ground.

My opinion, he should be tried for treason and given a life sentence or perhaps the death penalty. Look where he is now Russia. There are rumors already circulating that he received help from a foreign government to carry out his spying in disguise. Once these are proven true will the finger then point to China or Russia. I certainly hope so, because this topic is exhausting.

He isn't going to Brazil, he wouldn't be allowed over allied airspace in the world without the plane being intercepted and him being arrested. Essentially he is already in a prison - Russia. And his buddy from WikiLeaks is held up on the Ecuadorian consulate in London, which is even a smaller prison.

My question is why is Mrs. Rouseff so preoccupied with the US spying on her when the citizen of Brazil are suffering and protesting the misuse of money by the elected officials? Don't ask me why the US spied on her but lets just assume the US spied on every foreign country.

The old thread was exhausting as I am sure this one would be as well. So I personally myself will ask for it to be closed because we do not need to get into a blog fight over a person in my opinion that doesn't deserve the attention he is getting.

Hi Matt,

I agree, it's all just like locking the barn door after the horse has bolted. Old news is old news and really not worth beating it to death.

You're right, we have disagreed on this subject from the very beginning. It has never changed our relationship because you've respected my opinion and I yours even though we would never agree on the issue. Real friends may not always agree, they may not always like what their friends do all the time either, but they manage to get beyond all that and the friendship still goes on. I guess that's what I like most in you. You surely have had times when you thought I was wrong, but you had the courage to let me be wrong all by myself, without trying to beat up on me about it! LOL

True, just because I don't like what the American government has done, I am certainly not Anti-American. The people aren't accountable for the actions of their government. Heaven help us all if they were, Brazilians would be doomed!!! I'm equally indignated by the fact that the Canadian government is no better on this score. It's wrong, wrong, wrong and I'm ashamed of my own country's government.

One thing is certain, this topic just serves to show me why the blog frowns on thread posting about poltics and religion. I guess I should have known better than to post it in the first place and for that I am truly sorry.

-closed-

Closed