Moving to Mombasa

Hi,
I am considering moving to Mombasa, it will just be myself and my 6 year old daughter, the job would be at Braeburn international school (secondary) and my daughter would go to the primary.
What is the schools reputation?  I would need to work out how much I'd be paid and if could live comfortably.

I also want to know how safe Mombasa is? Also about the Malaria?

Thanks

Hi,
I will update you soon,thax for your post.

Hi,

Braeburn has an excellent reputation. Could I suggest that you ask the school for the email addresses of some of their current or recent ex-pat teachers so you can ask them directly?

I met a couple of young English ladies at my favourite beach restaurant 3 years or so ago who were working there and really enjoying it, I bumped into them periodically over the next couple of years, though I haven't seen them for some time so I don't know if they are still here,  I met another ex-pat young lady two or three weeks ago who had recently started working there and she seemed to be enjoying it as well.

The Mombasa area is as safe as many places these days, but obviously you need to use your common sense.

The coast is a malarial area, you could take long term medication such as doxycycline, but most ex-pats just go and get tested at the first sign of symptoms, and if positive take a short course of treatment.

Hello,

We have a 6 year old in a Braeburn School  - admittedly not the Mombasa one, but they are all closely linked.  The school is very good.  Class sizes are small. It very much fosters a sense of community and social responsibility and the staff seem happy and also tend to 'stay'.  The Braeburn Group schools have an excellent reputation.

I have no idea what their pay rates are. 

There are quite a few Braeburn schools throughout Kenya, so I imagine that you could move around, if you didn't like Mombasa much!  IMHO Mombasa is absolutely beautiful but opressively humid, which you don't tend to get 'upcountry'.

With regard to Malaria, of course there is a risk.  You should take precautions such as closing windows at dusk and sleeping under a mosquito net.  I don't take malaria prophylaxis, as the malaria risk is relatively low where we live, but in Mombasa you should seriously consider it and be prepared to go for tests when you feel unwell.

Mombasa is rly nice place to stay.. I know you will love this place..

Hi Katy,

Please keep me informed if you get some advice, as I also want to move to Mombasa.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Edmundo González from Madrid

Treated nets, insect repellents and your required dosage before you arrive.

That's all you can do. Especially for a child, it is paramount they are protected at all times.

Spraying rooms with 'Doom' or the electric version and/or mosquito coils can help...but be warned, you will be bitten no matter what...them mosquitoes are mad persistent!