Change of address--Federal Police. Experiences?

Hello all,
I understand that gringoes in Brasil are supposed to update their addresses with the federal police when they move. Just out of curiosity, does anyone actually bother doing this? Although I have lived in Brasil for about 13 years and have moved several times I have maintained the same address because I continued to own the house that was originally registered as my home during the immigration process. However, I have now sold it, and obviously can no longer say this is my address. Of course, my address is up to date on my Brasil tax return (which would be enough in most countries) and other legal documents. I am a permanent resident with an RNE, not a citizen.

Hopefully, every foreigner does bother to notify the Policia Federal of any change of address. By law this is required to be done within 30 days of any move. You will receive a protocolo to prove that you've registered the change of address and you are required to carry the ORIGINAL of that protocolo with your other documents of identity. I trust that since you're here in Brazil for many years now that you do hold your Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro (CIE), you should keep your address change protocolo with that. If anything ever happens chances are quite good that police officers will want to see both.

I'm not sure if this legal requirement to register your address ends if one naturalizes as a citizen. I would think it does, but that is something I will have to check the next time I visit DELEMIG.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks for the prompt reply. I guess I'll have to get myself in gear and get it done. I won't carry the protocolo, though. I never carry anything with my address in Brasil, since it's just fodder for criminals to figure out where I live. I'm in Salvador, where crime unfortunately is headed in the opposite direction of SP and Rio. I suppose since I have never carried anything with the current address that is listed with the PF, it won't make any difference. Nobody, including police at driving checks, has ever randomly asked me for proof of address. Of course, that doesn't apply to the utility bills that seem to be required for just about every financial transaction..

The protocolo itself does NOT show the address, just the fact that the address change has been registered with the Policia Federal, so you don't have to worry about that too much.

Just a warning to all expats who have not yet been granted permanency and/or do not have their Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro; in Brazil the law requires that everyone, Brazilian or foreigner alike carry their identity documents with them at all times. Remembering that Brazil, while being a so-called DEMOCRACY, is still very much a police state. You are required to produce your documents whenever asked to do so by police. Refusal to do so can have grave consequences unlike in other countries where police cannot require you to identify yourself unless you are actually placed under arrest.

If you are an expat, you must carry your travel documents (passport & visa), since loss of these items can be a real problem I would recommend that you take them to the nearest Cartório (Registry) and have certified copies made. Police will accept these so you need only carry the certified copies. I have been informed by the Policia Federal that if you've applied for permanency and not yet received your CEI you MUST carry on your person the ORIGINAL of your protocolo for the VIPER application. I was warned sternly that a copy of this document WILL NOT be accepted, even if it is certified. This is the ONLY proof that exists that you are legally in the country and you don't want to piss off the Federal Police, trust me.

Just as a Brazilian is required to carry the original of his RG (Registro Geral) a foreigner is required to carry the ORIGINAL of his/her Cédula de Identidade. While police will not necessarily request to see anything other than one's drivers license at a roadside stop or Blitz if you happen to be in some location where a crime or disturbance takes place it is common practice for police to keep everyone in that location contained until they are identified. If you're a foreigner and you don't produce both the original of your CIE or other travel document along with the ORIGINAL protocolo you may likely end up being taken to the nearest Federal Police headquarters.

Cheers,

Thanks. I assumed the address would be on the protocolo.
Interestingly, my Brasilian wife never carries her RG--only her driver's licence. According to her, a drive'rs licence is a legal substitute for the RG in routine identity checks because it includes the RG number. I cannot confirm whether this is true, but she insists that it is.
I am not sure whether the same logic would apply to those with a CIE and a driver's licence. I have both, and my RNE number/letter combo is on the driver's licence.
In typical Brasil fashion my driver's licence was for years missing the final "Q" in my RNE because Detran Bahia claimed there wasn't enough space in the field to add the final letter.This, of course was nonsense--the employees couldn't be bothered making the change. After insisting during my last licence renewal the Q was finally added.

I have actually heard of some one getting a fine for not changeling address.

And yes, carrying a drivers license is sufficient as it show the number of the RG.

Got it done today, at the PF in the Salvador airport. In typical Bahia fashion, nobody was interested in much of anything. Nobody wanted to see my CIE, let alone the copy I made. Nobody wanted to see proof of my new address--including the utility bill I brought. They just asked me to scribble my name, RNE and new address on a piece of paper and came back 5 minutes later with the protocolo. No mention was made of my old address. About as painless as it gets in Brasil, I'd say.

There are ONLY two things in this country that aren't full of suffocating and absurd bureaucracy - changing your address with the PF and applying for your CPF with the Receita Federal. Everything else is like the comedy skit "Burocracia" by Porta dos Fundos!!! If you haven't watched it, try Youtube you'll wet yourself laughing because it's sooooooooo true.

Cheers,

wjwoodward wrote:

There are ONLY two things in this country that aren't full of suffocating and absurd bureaucracy - changing your address with the PF and applying for your CPF with the Receita Federal. Everything else is like the comedy skit "Burocracia" by Porta dos Fundos!!! If you haven't watched it, try Youtube you'll wet yourself laughing because it's sooooooooo true.

Cheers,

Getting my work book was the easiest and most pleasant task to date.

My CPF experience was painful only because no one knew the address to the Receita Federal and I drove around for over an hour driving in circles until a guy in a favela told me where it was (he remains my angel.)

I need to change my address on my permanent residence visa. Is there a website where I can do it, or do I have to go to the PF? Thanks in advance.

11/13/23    I need to change my address on my permanent residence visa. Is there a website where I can do it, or do I have to go to the PF? Thanks in advance.

-@ibdegen

https://www.gov.br/pf/pt-br/assuntos/im … e-endereco

11/13/23    I need to change my address on my permanent residence visa. Is there a website where I can do it, or do I have to go to the PF? Thanks in advance.        -@ibdegen

https://www.gov.br/pf/pt-br/assuntos/im … e-endereco-@abthree

Thank you, I too have looked for that one