Pregnancy

Hallo,

I am Italian and I am at the 8th week of pregnancy.
I would like to have some more information regarding which kind of analysis are performed in Malta by the antenatal clinic of the Mater Dei.
I booked an appointment for the antenatal clinic but the receptionist told me the usually it is done on the 20th week and that the routine blood analysis are to be booked during the antenatal visit.
The problem is that nobody informed me which type of analysis I could be done and in which week (amniocentesi or nucal translucidal scan).

How is possible to have information only during the 20th week? I am going to the wrong way?

I am confused

Thank you

Hi, I think but I could be wrong, that as there is no abortion here, they do not give these tests. The first baby I had here (8 years ago,) I paid privatly to have a 3 month scan as they are not available at the hospital until 20 weeks. As for further tests, I was older for my second child to be born here and was concerned that my age my be a problem but was still not offered tests, so that is what I concluded, that as you can't have an abortion, what's the point in early screening. I guess, if something was picked up at 20 weeks, further tests would then be taken?

Hello, I would strongly suggest you speak to a local GP to find out the way things are done here. I am sure you WILL be offered tests same as in any European country. there are two ways of getting care. One is the state and one is the private sector like St James for example. For sure you need to be seen before 20 weeks and there are routine tests that need to be done (apart from finding out if there is any possible abnormality in the baby) such as blood grouping etc. I am a midwife who has recently retired from UK and just arrived to live in Malta. I don't know the system here but if you would like to speak to me, feel free to contact me.

Yes, you can pay for any test at a private clinic but a 20 week scan and blood tests (at 20 weeks) are the only tests done at the hospital.
I have to have a scan at 5-6 weeks as I have a high chance of eptopic pregnancy. I had to almost force myself in, screaming in the end for someone to take any notice of me!
Nothing, is done until 20 weeks.

Just found thisand more on the internet...Because there is no abortion, testing is not done.

Thank you to all!

Do you have a good gynaecologist?
I have a gynaecologist that works at the Mater Dei and this should be important during the delivery but she did not give me all the information.
So, I would like to have a gynaecologist that could be help me during this first months (it is my first pregnancy and I do not have idea) and not only and then during the delivery. I would like to be informed on all the possible screening that I will can done.
Could you help me please?

I use to see Isabelle Saliba in Rabat. She use to work at the hospital as well but the only way of being sure to have her for delivary would be to pay for her privatly at St. James (I think it was there?)
Maybe you should contact St. James hospital directly and book your anti natal there if you want other tests done but I believe it is an expensive road to go down but at least you would have answers about what and how much tests are.

Just would like to add that my wife is about 5 months pregnant, she's being followed at Mater Dei hosp since day 1 and so far, she's have done about 3 or 4 scans already, much before the 20th week. Not sure if that's because she's having a risky pregnancy due to her other health issues, but if I am not wrong, her 1st scan was about her 8th week of pregnancy. Actually, tomorrow she's going to do the anomaly scan and fingers crossed everything will go well.