Paragliding

Hi, I'm a freshman from Germany, does anybody know anything about paragliding in Saudi-Arabia, specially near Jeddah?

I'm trying to get in touch with people I can meet and explore too.

Horst

Hello and welcome:)

I moved your post to Jeddah forum

Arlette

You can try contacting the Saudi Aviation Club branch in Jeddah, they organize many aviation related events inlcluding paragliding, check these links:

http://www.epflying.org/http://www.sac.com.sa/english/

As far as I know the location of the club in Jeddah is somewhere near the red sea mall...

good luck

Can you imagine watching a woman  in an abaya paragliding!!!!   Picture the Black Swan OR the Flying Nun!  :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Can you imagine watching a woman  in an abaya paragliding!!!!   Picture the Black Swan OR the Flying Nun!

I'd pitty that woman if a hunter was around waiting with a 12 gauge in hand... :unsure

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:   What visual!

We can paraglide in our abayas without benefit of equipment!

(of course, the landing might be a bit rough :lol: )

@MadMax: Thank you very much! I'll for sure contact them.

@Alliecat: So an abaya has about 28 square meters?

Depending on the size of the woman!! :lol:

@horst

you're most welcome, if you were in Riyadh I'd have asked you to teach me, you have a great hobby for sure :D

Depending on the size of the woman!!

oh come on alliecat tight abayas are available too, seems its leagal to show curves! maybe you're just not following the trends :lol:

@MadMaz Maybe I'll move to Riyadh, if my company desides for me to work there.
Everybody I ask is excited about flying in KSA. For sure it's an adventure.

So sad that women can't paraglide there ... *sigh*

@belishabeacon: With normal paragliding equipment dressed and long hair put in the helmet you can't decide which human it is.

True, it is an adventure, flying over the desert is fasinating for sure, and by the way if you go south to Aseer region you'll find yet more interesting spots, green mountains with some really high peaks, I didn't get the chance to go there yet but my friends told me lots of people go there to practice paragliding, I'm sure the aviation club can provide more info about that :)

and yea it would be nice if you come to Riyadh... :D

Horst wrote:

@belishabeacon: With normal paragliding equipment dressed and long hair put in the helmet you can't decide which human it is.

I thought about that... although I automatically assumed that with all the strictness of rules in Saudi, women would not be allowed to participate in a sport of this kind. Double sigh again!

I hope I'm wrong though... I would absolutely love to paraglide while in saudi!

I think, flying ladies would only be possible with women instructors and in deserted region saved by guards.

Horst wrote:

I think, flying ladies would only be possible with women instructors and in deserted region saved by guards.

Sounds like loads of fun! LOL

ideal for Halloween with the full Abhayas on....
all we need to get are the brooms

I think in Saudi Arabia only the casuals use brooms ?!?!

seems nice, i need to try that out
any one goin
take me wth u :)

Hi Horst did u manager to get any information on para gliding around Jeddah - pls share it with us

YES. I have!

There's a paragliding school in Jeddah! The Homepage is in Saudi only (http://www.jas-sa.com/), but if anybody is interested, this should be the meeting point. It's easy to find. It's at the Al Andalus Street opposite to the Red Sea Mall.
Mobile 0546426666
Nearly every day there's somebody there in the evening at ~18:00.
I'll do a training for paramotor there, that was my intention when I left Germany :-)

Forgot to say, when you go north on Al Andalus Street, it becomes  Al Malek Road and it's the second free ground on the right. Leave Al Malek directly opposite of Red Sea Mall to the parallel road. There's a little Quad-Riding too.
http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&source=s … 4&t=h&z=16

belishabeacon wrote:

I thought about that... although I automatically assumed that with all the strictness of rules in Saudi, women would not be allowed to participate in a sport of this kind. Double sigh again!

I think if you are away from the masses and there is only you and friends and family it won't be an issue.  You won't be "tempting" other men in that fashion.

Go for it.

MisterStretch wrote:
belishabeacon wrote:

I think if you are away from the masses and there is only you and friends and family it won't be an issue.  You won't be "tempting" other men in that fashion.

Go for it.

Exactly what I was thinking!

Interesting discussion..

I did very little paragliding training, and would love to practice..

Hope we hear something soon :)

JayJay1024 wrote:

Interesting discussion..

I did very little paragliding training, and would love to practice..

Hope we hear something soon :)

On the ground of the Jeddah Paragliding you can do good groundhandling, although a little sandy. But it's no problem to talk to the people there.

Wanted to fly at Al Hada this week, but it RAINED.

@all: does anybody know a side, where you can fly descretly?

I do agree that more ground handling is beneficial, but I really want to practice flying. I've done many many hours in GH and too little flying.

I was reading yesterday that they stopped all paramotoring and paragliding till more flying safety regulations are in place. The reason being is that four people were killed in accidents during the last few months. The last tragedy was in Riyadh last month.

Yes. Safety is the problem. So if you don't know a spot, where you are surely alone, you can't fly. They are very strict here. Until then - only groundhandling. Maybe I'll have a chance to fly over Christmas - home in Germany.

Horst

Hi all,
im not into paragliding, bt maybe u have an idea if there is any club for kitesurfing here in jeddah.
thx

The wind here is ideal for kitesurfing, but I never heared but kitesurfing in Jeddah. Maybe because the coast is too rough.

There are actually few spots where you can kitesurf.

Silver Sands Beach is a nice place, but Saudi's are not allowed in! It's more suitable for windsurfing.

South Corniche has few spots as well.

I'm planning to visit the area to explore as I've never been there. If anyone is interested we can arrange a group tour.

JayJay,

I tried to go to silversand beach with a friend bt they didnt allow us, saying its for 3awaghel,families....  u know any beach where we can enter as singles without a problem?

if ur going to check the spots for kite or wind, i'll try to join! keep me updated, thx
ciao

I've been informed that the costal guard banned surfing in south cornich. We're now trying to get the matter to the officials attention hoping to find a solution. It would be great if a clean spot can be allocated for public sea sports.

In the other hand, I'm still planning to explore the south corniche area, but probably not this weekend.

Send me your contact, and I'll be in touch.

Hi Horst
there is an active Paragliding Club in Abha, south west region of Saudi. Abdulbari Al Abdulla from Fly-windows is a licenced instructor and operates a school there. Also there have been two Assir International Paragliding Championships.
I am a woman and have been paragliding in Saudi Arabia since January 11 2007, which was the first femal solo flihgt in Saudi and took place (my flight) from Jebel Hadda near Muhayil, approx 1.25 hours drive from Abha. Jebel Hadda has three takeoff sites and increasing heights and is best utilized during the 'winter' from October thru to April or thereabouts.
Jebel Sodah, at 2500 metres is the highest mountain in Saudi and the location for the comps and also summer launches though the weather can be somewhat unpredictable. First female flight from As Sodah was mine July 2009.
Membership to the Saudi Aviation Club (I have been a member since 2007) is also open to women. With my membership card and letter from the SAC I have had no significant problems Paragaliding and the club members in Abha have been inbcredibly gracious, helpful and supportive.
Try combining a few days holiday and tours around the Abha area with paragliding.
Hope that helps
regards
Ann

hi jayjay n ezzix - wud be gr8 to join on any trip to south corniche. keep me updated if any trips planned.

how abt planning some trip to explore the desert if anyone knows the details.

aslamoalakium,,is there any training center in Riyadh/near riyadh for Paragliding..plz send me number..thanks...

Hi, this is Muhammad Irfan , from Pakistan and living in Riyadlh , if you find some information regarding paragliding please let me know as well

As per my knowledge Saudi Aviation Club near Jeddah have developed Paragliding activities in Abha and Taif and Paramotoring in Jeddah and Riyadh.