TEXAN seeks general info about retiring to Malaysia :)

Hi I am 62 - and hope to retire on Social Security mostly about 1800 in about 15 months or so .  I have looked at Ecuador but most of the countries expat places have weather like Seattle :( . Mexico is possible but sometimes high crime and nice places are costing more and more to live.  Panama is still a consideration.  I have been looking at Malaysia perhaps Taiping or Penang as possible places to retire - seems most expats go there ?
I would prefer outside of a big city - near rain forests or beaches - and where at least some locals speak english.  If you currently live in smaller city and like it for above reasons or more - please say HI and tell me what you like about living there and what you dont .

Malaysia has a great programme called Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H). The reason I start off mentioning this is because to live in another country you need immigration arrangements that are convenient. The MM2H programme provides a 10 year social visit pass which means you can remain in Malaysia for periods of any length of time.  They do have income requirements and a deposit system.  I recommend you look at this link, which also describes Malaysia. Penang is a very liveable place (Taiping is a bit in the sticks):

http://www.mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/

The terms and conditions can be found under the "Home" tab.

Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) i what you need to look into.

If you want me to provide e-mail addresses of friends of mine who have retired there, just let me know. A lot of them are running the social groups for the expat community and reitred community and can provide a lot of answers for you.

Hi Dave,

I actually have the MM2H social visa and it has it's uses such as fast track through immigration and able to buy a tax free car, and able to stay in Malaysia for 10 years without leaving if that's your choice. You'll need to show savings of US$100,000, an overseas income of US$3,000 per month, and place US$40,000 in a Malaysian Fixed Deposit account.

I notice that your pension is US$1,800 per month so quite frankly you would not qualify for the MM2H program. But actually it is not all that important. If you don't mind to travel up to Thailand or down to Singapore once every three months just for the day then on your return Malaysian Immigration will issue you a 3 month tourist visa. Lot's of foreigners do it this way because the requirements for MM2H are quite high, and actually I did it this way for several years before deciding to get my MM2H.

Mike

If you are interested in beaches, then probably east Malaysia (Sabah in particular) has the best selection.  There are no nice ones in Penang that are suitable for more than walking on and looking at, if you like sparkling white sand and translucent clean water. Unfortunately they are all on the Malacca Straits which are known to be one of the most polluted waterways in the world.  The island of Langkawi fairs a bit better, as it is further north and closer to Thailand and the Andaman Sea, which does have international standard beaches in many locations.

One of the problems with retiring to Malaysia, but not getting a long term immigration solution in place is that you will constantly be planning your next exit before the 3 months social visit pass expires.  There are of course expenditures for all those departures and arrivals. Nowadays, the borders are much stricter and you don't always get a 3 month renewal. Some actually think you should pay a special fee to re-enter. It is also at the discretion of the immigration official, for how long they stamp you in. You would quite quickly use up many pages of your passport as well and that will take the immigration officials longer and longer to wade through the in and out stamps to find your last exit and entry. There are also now quite a lot of questions asked when they stamp the passport.  I re-entered from Singapore to Malaysia, as I was waiting for my dependent's pass and only got a one month pass.  Luckily it did not matter, as I was leaving with visitors to go to Cambodia within a couple of weeks.  Otherwise, it would have been rather inconvenient. So feeling comfortable and settled can be worth its while. Everyone has different experiences and opinions to share on this aspect of living in Malaysia.

I live in Kuala Lumpur, and outside of the downtown area, it has a nice village-like feel at certain places. Beaches are nearby, as are some hills and mountains. :)

I disliked Penang because of all the pros and ladyboys.
That stuff guarantees other problems

I very much liked Taiping but it's a very small town with not a lot to do.
Consider Melaka. Again, small, but more life.

On l,800 usd you can't really live in Malaysia. Wouldn't be a good life.

Thailand or vietnam better. Both have far better attractions for a single.older gentleman of course lol

I think Thailand and Vietnam are quite nice to retire too...

Here are the requirements for a retirement visa in Thailand. The other alternative is similar to Malaysia - leave every 3 or 4 months. There are similar financial status requirements:

Retirement visa is basically an extension of the "O" visa, you are required to posses a valid "O" visa before you can apply for the retirement extension. to qualify you must be fifty years old or more. Have suitable income of 800,000 Baht per year or 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank for no less than three months or a combination of both. Some immigration offices can issue you an "O" visa and then give you a retirement extension all at the same time, if you qualify. After you receive your retirement visa you will be required to report your address every ninety days. Reporting your address is very easy and it only takes about five minutes at the immigration office. Below is a list of what you will need when applying for your retirement visa extension

The non-immigrant type “O” visa is available as either a single entry, for a 90 day stay, or as a multiple entry, 12 month visa.
  The single entry “O” visa allows you to spend up to 90 days within Thailand, And that can be extended for an additional 30 days for a fee of 1,900 Bahts at the immigration office, thereby giving you a total of 4 months. After that you could exit and re-enter Thailand for a 15 day stamp at a land crossing or 30 days at the airport. Or you could travel outside Thailand to obtain a tourist visa or nonimmigrant “O” visa.
The 12 month multiple entry type "O" visa allows you to leave and re-enter Thailand an unlimited number of times during that 12 month period. Every time you enter Thailand you will receive a stamp in your passport permitting you 90 days stay in Thailand. Also at your option this 90 day stamp can be extended for an additional 30 days at immigration for a fee of 1,900 Bahts.   After that you will have to leave Thailand and re-enter to receive another 90 day stamp in your passport. There are many companies that can assist you with transport and visa requirements to the nearest border crossing to get a new 90 day stamp in your passport. These border run services as they are called, cost as little as 1,800 Bahts up to around 2,500 Bahts for the VIP treatment.  Everything is included such as the visa fee for the neighboring country, and some include breakfast and lunch.

One other issue is personal taxation. If you stay in Malaysia or Thailand for more than 182 days you become tax resident there.

Perhaps others can comment on whether a person is taxed on money they remit into Thailand to support themselves while living there?

Dave, you should consider Penang which is quite cheap.

davetexas - there are many other areas outside the KL City zone and in the various states in Malaysia, which have much lower property rental charges. sometimes under RM1k per month.  However, food prices do not vary significantly, and some items are price-controlled or subsidised. Most imported and popular international foods are sold at a premium. Hawker food can cost as little as RM4 per serving in some of the outlying areas and states. Expect higher prices in city, urban or areas that are popular with expats.

I spend quite a lot of time on Penang Island, and have found that the use and understanding of English is very high indeed compared to other areas in Malaysia. It has a very Chinese and colonial feel to it and is relatively unspoilt. It is popular with tourists because its main town, Georgetown, is an UNESCO heritage site. It has various beaches, some of which are polluted unfortunately, but there are some splendid places to eat and enjoy natural surroundings or venture out onto the water. The area in the south around Bayan Lepas and down to the southern tip are less expensive than Georgetown, as the main tourist areas are located from Georgetown northwards.

No you are not taxed on money remitted to Malaysia from investments outside of Malaysia (well if Malaysian domiciled that's different). That is an standard international tax agreement. As a resident you are taxed in money earnt in Malaysia. If you do business in Malaysia and get it in usd and remit it then of course that is taxable. But a pension no; that is fir normal people. Complex if richer

See my personal Introductory post on the Thailand forum

In looking at your post I see a lot of likeness between you and myself.  The only differences are that you are looking at getting a pass or visa solely on your own, whereas I married a Chinese Malay and am here on a Long Term Social Visitors Pass (LTSVP).  This is the same as a spousal visa and is awarded to the applicant when the sponsor (spouse) can show income to support you.  You also receive a bit more SS benefits than I do but I can assure you if you don't live in KL or other uptown cities, you will get by just fine with your income.  I live in Selayang, which is still the suburbs but much less traffic and much lower cost of living.  However, to get a long term visa other than the LTSVP, you will need to provide substantial proof of income or assets and tie up some of your money in a secure deposit fun which you will not be allowed to touch unless you suffer extreme hardship.  I have been here over a year and did the passport chop method the first nine months.  When I went to Singapore I was nearly refused to enter back into Malaysia as immigration questioned my repeated entries and explained to me that I actually can only have my passport chopped twice a year, and this was my 3rd time.  Fortunately, after explaining that I intended to marry my wife, they stamped for another 3 months but advised me to either get married within that time or expect that I will not be permitted to re-enter when this stamp expired.  The only reason we had not gotten married sooner is we simply didn't have enough time, but we were able to get married and apply for the LTSVP but had to have the Passport chopped on last time as we would not receive the pass until after the 3 mo visitor would expire.  We had our honeymoon in Thailand and re-entered with no problem as we had the marriage Certificate and a receipt of application letter from immigration for the LTSVP.  The LTSVP can be approved for up to 5 years however, they tend to only give you 1 year on your first application and have heard of some only receiving 6 mo.  I personally got 1 year that was added on to my stamp from Thailand so, in essence my first application I was awarded for 1 year and 3 mo.  I do not encourage anyone to marry solely for the reason of being allowed to stay in a country.  My wife was the reason for my coming to Malaysia in the first place and everything has worked out fine.  Certainly better than staying in the states on my minuscule SS benefits that I could never fully retire on.

Since most western expats (Aussies included) seem to have a penchant for not adhering to the sound advice given to them, by their own (experienced) expat predecessors, I'm hedging a bet that you'll probably proceed in a similar fashion. Anyway, giving you the benefit of the doubt, here goes.

If you're planning to bring your own western female companion with, then that will be your first "smart" move, to the beginning your Asian retirement sojourn. Asian women do not know how to dance the Two_Step, neither are they even interested in learning to dance, ballroom-style.

There are a few exceptions, of course. However, finding a "born-and-raised-in-Asia", Asian woman, who is a real exception to the foregoing norm, will either come by the Grace of God, or the lucky 7/11 first role of the dice, only. "No money, no honey". Western gamblers have better luck, with their money, at the 21-Tables in Macau.   

Now, the second smart move would be to get a local English-speaking lawyer, prior to investing more than $1000.00 in any one person or venture, regardless of how convincing their "story" may be.  The U.S. Embassy (website) can provide you with a "vetted" list of affordable local lawyers.

Thirdly, if you're coming to SE Asia (as a single) searching for a "friend", or "the love-of-your-life" then do yourself a huge favor by visiting the nearest pet store, and there wisely invest in "Man's Best Friend", instead! Then you'll have the one, and only true friend you'll ever need in Asia, next to your ATM bankcard, of course.

Malaysians do speak English. Malaysia is also a Muslim religion dominated country, with a huge Tamil Indian social influence, which is a real cultural can of "uptight" worms of its own, to deal with. Then, there is the minority ethnic Chinese demographic that is strictly business, and  interested "only" in your $1,000,000+ bank account. Plus, there's absolutely no Miller's High-Life Beer to be had in Malaysia, without being extremely paranoid about drinking it, in the process. Again, Malaysia is a Muslim religion dominated country.

Thailand is, by far, the best "bang-for-the-American-buck" in all SE Asia. Thailand has the best over-all (cleaner by comparison) national infrastructure; the easiest Immigration policies; the best (clean) street food selections; the safest (personal safety) streetlife, the most affordable, modern housing accommodations; and finally the best single man's, readily available (Buddhist) "eye-candy", compared to some the other SE Asian nations.

In conclusion: Rest assured, that the only socially enjoyable lifestyle to be had (as a western expat), anywhere in Asia, is firstly the lifestyle that you bring to (perpetual_summer) SE Asia, yourself.  Secondly, you'll need an off-shore income sufficient to sustain that lifestyle.

Again, Thailand offers the best overall "bang-for-the-SS-buck"! Capisce?:top:

Hopefully, you'll find this info generally useful to your future decision-making plans.:cheers:

davetexas wrote:

Hi I am 62 - and hope to retire on Social Security mostly about 1800 in about 15 months or so .  I have looked at Ecuador but most of the countries expat places have weather like Seattle :( . Mexico is possible but sometimes high crime and nice places are costing more and more to live.  Panama is still a consideration.  I have been looking at Malaysia perhaps Taiping or Penang as possible places to retire - seems most expats go there ?
I would prefer outside of a big city - near rain forests or beaches - and where at least some locals speak english.  If you currently live in smaller city and like it for above reasons or more - please say HI and tell me what you like about living there and what you dont .

Yo Kruben,

Thank you for the time & effort you, and others on the forum, have invested in providing me with detailed, useful information. I really appreciate your input. Regards, :whistle:

kRUBEN wrote:

Since most western expats (Aussies included) seem to have a penchant for not adhering to the sound advice given to them, by their own (experienced) expat predecessors,

Assuming that advice is sound and unbiased.

kRUBEN wrote:

Thirdly, if you're coming to SE Asia (as a single) searching for a "friend", or "the love-of-your-life" then do yourself a huge favor by visiting the nearest pet store,

I know many Malaysian women of all the major ethnic groups and have found all but one to be beautiful people with very nice personalities.  This is slightly coloured because I don't hang around in bars where gold diggers and prostitutes are rife. The sort of expat that does will tend to hold a different opinion, just as flies think poop is attractive.

kRUBEN wrote:

Malaysians do speak English. Malaysia is also a Muslim religion dominated country, with a huge Tamil Indian social influence, which is a real cultural can of "uptight" worms of its own, to deal with. Then, there is the minority ethnic Chinese demographic that is strictly business,

This is wrong. Malaysia is about 60% Muslim and they do hold most of the political power but the Indian (ethnic Tamil) population is only about 8%, the ethnic Chinese making up the second largest group at around 25% (all rough numbers) The laws based around Muslims apply only to Muslims, the rest of the population and expats only bound by normal criminal and civil laws.

kRUBEN wrote:

Thailand is, by far, the best "bang-for-the-American-buck" in all SE Asia............ the best single man's, readily available (Buddhist) "eye-candy", compared to some the other SE Asian nations.

Thailand is a very different country with far fewer English speakers but loads of eye candy of all three genders you can hire on the cheap.
I prefer Malaysia and would recommend the country as a very nice place for expats to live. The ease of finding Englaish speakers means a stress free life in pretty much every activity.

Fred wrote:
kRUBEN wrote:

Since most western expats (Aussies included) seem to have a penchant for not adhering to the sound advice given to them, by their own (experienced) expat predecessors,

Assuming that advice is sound and unbiased.

kRUBEN wrote:

Thirdly, if you're coming to SE Asia (as a single) searching for a "friend", or "the love-of-your-life" then do yourself a huge favor by visiting the nearest pet store,

I know many Malaysian women of all the major ethnic groups and have found all but one to be beautiful people with very nice personalities.  This is slightly coloured because I don't hang around in bars where gold diggers and prostitutes are rife. The sort of expat that does will tend to hold a different opinion, just as flies think poop is attractive.

kRUBEN wrote:

Malaysians do speak English. Malaysia is also a Muslim religion dominated country, with a huge Tamil Indian social influence, which is a real cultural can of "uptight" worms of its own, to deal with. Then, there is the minority ethnic Chinese demographic that is strictly business,

This is wrong. Malaysia is about 60% Muslim and they do hold most of the political power but the Indian (ethnic Tamil) population is only about 8%, the ethnic Chinese making up the second largest group at around 25% (all rough numbers) The laws based around Muslims apply only to Muslims, the rest of the population and expats only bound by normal criminal and civil laws.

kRUBEN wrote:

Thailand is, by far, the best "bang-for-the-American-buck" in all SE Asia............ the best single man's, readily available (Buddhist) "eye-candy", compared to some the other SE Asian nations.

Thailand is a very different country with far fewer English speakers but loads of eye candy of all three genders you can hire on the cheap.
I prefer Malaysia and would recommend the country as a very nice place for expats to live. The ease of finding Englaish speakers means a stress free life in pretty much every activity.

Thank you so much, for your "corrective" commentary, at last. Sadly, you did not post it earlier on, when the topic thread was new. That would have been the academically appropriate thing to do, especially considering that this forum is a supposed debate platform.

Fortunately for me, I know exactly, what I do know, re: pretentious Muslim Malaysia, also with it's own brand of three gender "Eye Candy" for hire. Thailand is an open, and honest society of people. So, despite your subtle insults, there is absolutely nothing, on my part, that I need to prove to anyone, anywhere, ever.

Thus, whenever I'm in error, I graciously concede to those who are obviously more knowledgeable, about pratically everything, than myself.  Again, thank you, for your kindly pomped & circumstantially considered opinions.  Best regards, and cheers.

I only noticed recent posts, not seeing the date of the OP, but your mention made me review the thread to see where is resurfaced.
I now understand what's what.

I keep making mistakes of replying to very old threads on the belief they are new. The OP is long gone, the info is stale or non-applicable today, etc. I gotta watch those dates!

cvco wrote:

I keep making mistakes of replying to very old threads on the belief they are new. The OP is long gone, the info is stale or non-applicable today, etc. I gotta watch those dates!

Of course some of the more recent posts were the more interesting.

Meantime, Fred said it right and Kruben is mixed up about Malaysia. Kruben, have you spent any time in Malaysia, for example did you live here? And what are you so angry about? Its not a competition.

cvco wrote:

Meantime, Fred said it right and Kruben is mixed up about Malaysia. Kruben, have you spent any time in Malaysia, for example did you live here? And what are you so angry about? Its not a competition.

I would have to agree.

Hello everyone,

Just to inform you that some posts were put aside from this thread. This thread is rather old and as already mentioned above, the Initial poster is no longer on the website, so there's no need to argue on this thread.

I am closing it and should you want to start a new topic on the same subject, please feel free to do so :

- https://www.expat.com/forum/post.php?fi … mp;lang=en

All the best,
Bhavna

[Topic Closed]

Closed