Opening a small school in Malaysia

Hi Folks!!
How's life treating you all?? Well I am new to this forum but already I feel at home. Now let me share what I have in mind: to start with I am keen to do business here eventhough I ve never been in one before!! Actually I have great experience in the education field and feel confident that with a suitable , like-minded working partner We can open up an affordable school. If any one out there find my idea feasible pls let me know. And if there is anyone else who can advise pls do so.

Hello Qureshi,

Welcome to Expat.com! I think your idea is wonderful, but I suggest you to add more information to what kind of school are you planning to open. Maybe that could help others understand better about your idea? Anyway, I hope you get decent responses from fellow expatriates here! All the best :)

Hi very hard in Malaysia - you need an MoE licence very hard to get. Kindergarten the easiest and lots of cowboy operators in that area. A real school you need powerful friends you won't find on a forum!

Well I realise its not going to be an easy walk through but still I think one can try it out. Actually my idea was a proper CBSEschool , since they are so few around but that would mean a huge capital and a huge set up.But tell me folks a preschool is it so really hard to set up??? I have this feeling that if I find atleast a couple of determined partners we can give it a go:). A small place where there will be playway method od teaching with skillfully crafted syllabus .

Without at least a Tan Sri friend you won't get anywhere. Even the big boys here have trouble. Look at Nottingham Uni they said they would have given up if they had known how bad it was. And certain schools I know of had really big issues in JB.

You need min  30 million RM to set up a proper school. Some of that for "consultancy fees". I know I did the math once......

You are a foreigner and Education is a local business. Believe me it is a closed shop attitude!

This may be an interesting read:

http://casadelbambino.blogspot.com/2008 … al-of.html

Oh dear!! Is it that bad??

Hi Qureshi68,

If you want to open a preschool then of course your best chance is to be associated with Montessori (you can contact them at the HELP University for information) or Waldorf (which is less known here in Malaysia). The name of your school needs to reflect that it is a Montessori school in order to stand a better chance and of course you need to have teachers who possess the Montessori diploma and get yourself a good School Director.

There are many preschools that double as daycare centres and many preschools tend to rent landed properties as the rents are lower and the number of rooms many. Personally I believe that the number of preschools are too numerous but it depends where you plan to set up. Parents are charged between RM700 to about RM1200 per month for a child to attend a preschool.

One of the  Minister's here has a daughter who opened a preschool but I don't think that her contacts helped much, since many parents will carefully survey all the schools in their area and choose the one that appeals to them the most.

It may be worth contacting: http://www.montessori-malaysia.org/

Mike

Or go to UK. Interestingly in UK anyone can set up a school and fill it full of anybody to 'teach' and who cares attitude! One of the few cases where UK regulations are <<<< Malaysian ones!

But if the Global Indian School is anything to go by, any Indian based school will be awful. Mont is the way to go.

Epsom is operating a new college later this year. Tony Fernandes is the backer. I'm sure you will have to get a local partner to open a school - I saw this on a government website.

Tony went to Epsom and they are a serious school......

Yet they suffered massive delays. The school was supposed to open last September, but all they had was a muddy field. In Enstek away in the middle of nowhere. In a location that teachers will hate.

Malaysia Boleh!

I am happy to hear that Mike. In fact I also believe where ever you go and what ever you intend to try out,its not gonna be cakewalk!!!Ofcourse obstacles, competitors govt policies and what not can be challenging. But in spite there are a handful who survive the test and find themselves on the go!!