Moving to Rincon, PR in November, 2010

Hi everyone, I'm new here, so this is my first post.  My husband and I are moving to Rincon, PR in November, 2010.  We have family in Yauco, and have visited PR many times.  We have been planning this move for several years, and the time has FINALLY arrived!  We will be purchasing a car as soon as we arrive, and will also need to find a short term rental (hopefully before we arrive).  I would love to hear any thoughts or tips that could be offered, or guidance on how to make this transition as "painless" as possible.  I am an LPN, my husband does electrician work, and we will be looking for jobs right away.  It would be nice to work in our field, but we are not lazy, so work is work... We are trying to come as prepared as possible, with money to purchase necessities, transportation, ect., as well as enough to live on for some time. Help and ideas from Rincon/PR would be greatly appreciated! Looking forward to hearing from you!

Greetings,

Congratulations on your impending move to Rincon. I hope to be moving my family there sometime early fall. Maybe we'll run into each other. It helps that you have been to PR before and have family there so you are not going into it blindly or too idealistically. I just hope you understand how depressed the job market really is. It's a lot tougher to find work than it is in the states. I'd try to make some contacts beforehand at the hospital in Mayaguez. I'm not sure but I think they might also have one in Aguadilla. Someone else on the forum may be able to give you better insight on that one. As far as electrician work goes, I wouldn't have a clue where to start. But in Rincon your husband might be able to hook up with a contractor. Rincon has it's own newspaper online. You can see it at www.coquirincon.com. It's in English and Spanish.
  I wish you both well and I'm excited for you.

Gregg

Thanks for the well wishes, and we do hope to see you there! I understand that the job market is depressed, and am trying to make some contacts, but my initial challenge is in trying to transfer my nursing license to PR.  But, the PR Board of Nursing in in Santurce, and I have tried over and over to get a hold of someone there, but the phone either just rings and rings, or is constantly busy.  Never an answer.  So, I will have to just keep trying. On the other hand, I know there is work for someone willing to work...it might not be glamorous, but work is work.  Thanks for the link to the Rincon paper, I didn't have that.  It looks interesting, and I'll keep my eye on it.  We are just so very excited about the move, and look forward to immersing ourselves into the culture and our environment.  We aren't so interested in the "gated community" lifestyle.  Looking forward to "simple".  Keep in touch... and good luck to your family as well!

Rebecca

Hi

I have a niece who recently graduated from medical technology and she already has a job.  She says that there are jobs in the medical field, especially in nursing.  Your husband has a good craft and he might be able to set up his own business.
Good luck to both of you.

Mig

About the nursing board, the best I can advice you is go there when you're here. It's very seldom that yu get somebody on the phone in any (government) agency and if you reach somebodyy, they tell you to come over..

Your husband will need a license to work as an independent electrician, unless he will find a job at an electrical contractor.