Rent commission for real estate agent

hi everybody!

I'm about to rent a long-term apartment to let, now I just want to make sure how this works:

1) you pay 1 month of rent price for DEPOSIT to landlord (which you get back when you decide to leave this flat)
2) you pay 50% of 1 month price rent to real estate agent when you sign the contract with landlord
3) when moving in on the 1st day, you pay 1 month rent price in advance

Is that correct?

Mostly I'm interested in that commission for agent. Is this defined by law or how this things go here?

Thanks

Hi,

I am an agent here in malta and I can tell you that for an agent the fees correspond to half of the price of the rent, in most of real estate agency on the Island.

For the rest its all correct you have to pay the deposit to reserve the apartment and the 1st month rent when you sign the contract.

Hope this helped, you can message me directly if you have more questions :)

Nothing is 'universal' here. Just depends upon the individual case.

dont expect to get your deposit back - its in no way guaranteed by anyone - contract or no contract - the landlords here will try to keep it and use every resource in their vast armoury to not pay it back......

Toons correct never met anyone yet who managed to get the deposit returned in cash!

Terry

sometimes you have to play them at their own game - when you are to leave the accom - dont pay the rent for the last month tell them to take it out of the deposit... keep your cash in your pocket,,, be warned..... and protect your self - coz they wont.

We signed all papers when leaving the apartments and offset the deposit with outstanding amounts for the last ARMS bills - I just paid the small difference. No questions with the landlord. So yes, nothing is 'universal' here :)

romild0 wrote:

2) you pay 50% of 1 month price rent to real estate agent when you sign the contract with landlord

Plus VAT

georgeingozo wrote:
romild0 wrote:

Plus VAT

Went via an agent, paid cash and VAT never mentioned!

i suspect that just because vat wasnt mentioned doesnt mean it wasnt due....

and am told that if you dont ask for a vat receipt you can be deemed to be complicit in vat fraud.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

and am told that if you dont ask for a vat receipt you can be deemed to be complicit in vat fraud.

OK, I'll add it to my long list of crimes by ignorance since moving to Malta.

The list so far is.......
Paying cash to tradesmen (no receipt),
Paying cash to landlord, Ditto
Undertaking on the road, (thought it was compulsory).
Illegal parking (no signs and yellow lines faded to nothing).
etc, etc.

tearnet wrote:
toonarmy9752 wrote:

OK, I'll add it to my long list of crimes by ignorance since moving to Malta.

The list so far is.......
Paying cash to tradesmen (no receipt),
Paying cash to landlord, Ditto
Undertaking on the road, (thought it was compulsory).
Illegal parking (no signs and yellow lines faded to nothing).
etc, etc.

absolutely

best get another a4 pad at the ready

For what it's worth, I have moved twice since relocating to Malta and both landlords gave me no trouble when it came to giving back my deposit. I didn't even have to ask for it.

That's pretty standard, yep. It's not defined by law, but I've never heard of a different arrangement (except in cases where you pay more up front to the landlord).

the best thing would be when coming in the appartement me, landlord and agent make invertory list, make photos of stuff and then I give deposit to agent and he keeps it on agency account

in that way landlord couldnt just keep my money if he feels like it

but thats just me wishing things

well not really wishful thinking there are movements in that direction but its going to take pressure from a a petitioning group to do so and that petition already exists but has been slow in taking off.... i know the link for it - but dont wish to post it - its can be searched on google.    On change.org         "Offer more protection to tenants in Malta"

would like to add that the list of events should potentially include going thru all appliances and checking the standard of the taps etc together before the deposit it signed etc...

check the water pressure too

toonarmy9752 wrote:

well not really wishful thinking there are movements in that direction but its going to take pressure from a a petitioning group to do so and that petition already exists but has been slow in taking off.... i know the link for it - but dont wish to post it - its can be searched on google.    On change.org         "Offer more protection to tenants in Malta"

thx, signed it
it can only help us who rent
i'll probably move in 1 month so will see how will it go with deposit