Pasalubong?

Hello, I am new to this forum and would like to ask a question... I am vacationing in the Philippines, and will meet the family of a new friend I made, with the possibility of the 2 of us dating each other. When I meet his parents, I would like to give them something unique, but not too expensive so as to make them think I am trying to buy them or be flashy. In the past when traveling, I have given hosts a mint example of a U.S. Morgan Silver Dollar as a way to say thank you and show respect and offering a beautiful piece of U.S. history.
Would this be appropriate, or would a modest Philippine family see a silver dollar only as money and disrespectful? Above all else, I want to show complete respect for them and their culture, but be generous, while also remaining appropriate. Would this be a good idea, or could you help me think or something that they might enjoy and remember? Remember, these may have the potential to be future in-laws. Thank you for your time!
Best,

Filipinos love almost everything about America, One significant sign is the love for american products, Chocolate is probably the most appreciated "PASALUBONG"  Filipino word -[something for when you welcome me") is the Filipino tradition of travellers bringing gifts from their destination to people back home.,  Pasalubong can be any gift or souvenir brought for family or friends after being away for a period of time) that you can buy for Filipinos. In general any american item will do.

Thank you, Yhanie! XX

In this world, words and hearts should be handle with care,for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair.
:idontagree::proud

Its not hard to please filipinos. Like what Yhanie said, you can buy almost anything and it will be alright. However, to be more specific, you can bring something that is more useful to them. Examples can be wallets, shirts, etc. It doesn't have to be expensive because at the end, they only care that its from YOU and they will keep it with sentimental value. So good luck! :)

My family likes me to bring them apples, and the kids love chocolate, quite a luxury in many places.  I always found the children very shy towards white strangers until they find out you are the guy from Hershey.

I think the silver dollar, though am offering of a beautiful piece of US history would leave them baffled.  You will have to explain US history, which might make you appear a braggart.

Usually, pasalubong is in the form of food.  And Filipinos love sweets.  I would recommend a few bags of assorted chocolate miniatures (Snickers, Twix, Kitkat, etc.), which the family could share, including with their neighbors.

Do give the parents something more special, such as the Tower of Gifts from Harry and David's.  Or bring a box of Harry and David's Royal Riviera Pears.  And bring me some too. I"ll send you money for them and drive you around Manila for free for bringing me a box.  LOL.  Just joking.  I just love those pears, especially the organic ones.

Thank you, FilAmericanMom for your input! I'll skip the silver dollars then. I do NOT want to appear to be bragging or disrespectful in any way. I would never want to do that. XX I'll see what I can arrange with the pears! ;)

Best,
Jeff

Thank Mugtech! This really is a great site.

XX

Thank you Kim. Maybe some wallets and chocolates to share. I am also meeting his 5 brothers and sisters and Grandmother as well. Guess that is a lot of wallets! ;)

Best,
Jeff

priyapoonam, I agree. He and I have each had our hearts broken and are starting over after years of being single.

XX

Jeff

well buddy follow your heart,first get something according to their likes,for example my friend likes drinking,so a bottle of rum or whisky will be fine.or just get something handy like something for the kitchen,flowers clothes etc if its a girl perfume will do,they are very appreciative not like people here in USA with their attitudes,good luck,and take your time don't rush into anything,enjoy yourself first,im based on my experience.I plan to go there later this year.

Thank you, Boriloco! I think I will go more practical than the silver dollars, but still tasteful. I am learning quickly that most Filipinos have wonderful hearts and even better attitudes. Probably do fine chocolates to share and perfumes and wallets. Either that, or nice, thick, high thread count Egyptian cotton sheets or towels.

Best,
Jeff

FilAmericanMom wrote:

I just love those pears, especially the organic ones.

So much better than the synthetic ones!!

i suggest inexpensive perfume for girls/ladies and inexpensive t shirts for men/boys - you can get an assortment of t shirt sizes and chances are they will all be useful

afzalraza wrote:

can get an assortment of t shirt sizes and chances are they will all be useful

Except XXLarge