Import a car

Hi all,

Just a questions. My husband and I recently moved to gozo, Malta and hold a Maltese ID-card. We did bring our car here and still have not bought a new car.

We are now looking at buying a car in The Netherlands where we have more choice and drive it back to Gozo. I'm aware of the high tax registration on imported cars but we think it's still cheaper then to buy the car that we want here in Malta. I can read a lot about driver with a foreign plate car for up to 6 months in Malta, but I believe that's only for tourists? If this is the case, it will not work for us since we are registered in Malta. But exactly how long can I drive before I have to import the car? And can I just go there as soon as I arrive or do I need to contact them beforehand..

From all the stories I read I get a bit nervous about importing a car to Malta because it seems a bit of a hassle and very expensive if you do it wrong.

For those of you who can help me with my questions, thanks a bunch.

if you follow the rules it wlll make things much clearer.... sadly the dept responsible is not very good at making these things clear......

the paperwork - forms and the websites are a little lacking in clarity and many questions still have to be asked.

This is what you need to do once you have the vehicle in Malta ......................

How to register a used vehicle brought into Malta from an EU Member State

STEP 1: Log onto the website www.vehicleregistration.gov.mt to obtain the value of the registration tax due. The valuation will need to be printed out to be presented to the Authority.

STEP 2: Book an appointment with the Transport Malta by calling on 2123 3029 between 7.30 and 15.00 Monday to Friday.

STEP 3: On the appointment day, take the vehicle to the Land Transport Directorate, Technical Unit, Hornworks Ditch, Floriana, Technical Unit in Floriana. Individuals will be required to present the valuation document printed from the website in STEP 1, and the Original Registration Certificate (log book) of the vehicle.

STEP 4: Proceed to the Land Transport Directorate, Driver and Vehicle Licensing Unit, Hornworks Ditch, Floriana, between 7.30 & 12.00, Monday to Friday with the following documents:
• Valuation document endorsed by the Technical Unit
• Application Form VEH 01 & VEH 02 (downloadable from
www.transport.gov.mt/Land Transport/Motor Vehicles/Registration and Importation
• Original Notice of Arrival (ferry ticket or freight note) of the vehicle confirming vehicle number
• Original Foreign Registration Certificate (log book) signed by the foreign owner and by the buyer
• Valid VRT Passed Test Certificate (issued by a local VRT Station) which is valid for 90 days from date of issue
• Valid local Insurance Policy in whose name the vehicle will be registered
• Both foreign plates
• Pay charges: !35 Inspection fee, !10 Registration fee, Annual Circulation Fee and the Registration Tax (Cash, Bank Draft or Credit Card or Debit Card or bank guarantee only. Personal cheques exceeding !500 are not accepted)
• For private (M1) vehicles brought into Malta as of the 1st April 2011, or thereafter an Odometer Certificate of Authenticity issued by a body approved by the Authority showing the vehicle's authentic odometer reading.
• Approved Body : JEVIC UK LTD.
Building 46, Dunsfold Park, Cranleigh, Surrey, GU6 8TB, United Kingdom.
Tel: UK  +(44)-01483-276900  Tel: Malta  +(356)-35505155 .
Fax: +(44)-01483-331701/273250. Email: [email protected]
All the above documents must be submitted. Failure to present anyone of the above documents at initiation stage will require individuals to start from scratch. The registration of vehicles entering into Malta is a process required by law. Until registration is effected, the vehicle cannot be driven on the road. An administration fee of !30 per day including weekends will apply if the vehicle is not registered within 20 days

What about the story of if you owned the car for more then 02 years and you bring it to Malta , you are exempt from paying the registration tax ???? any truth of that ?

Sofienek wrote:

What about the story of if you owned the car for more then 02 years and you bring it to Malta , you are exempt from paying the registration tax ???? any truth of that ?

Its not a story but correct. You do have to prove that you have owned it for more than two years and start the process of registration as soon as you enter Malta.
The exemption is only for as long as you own the car, if you sell it then you have to pay the amount due at that time.

http://www.transport.gov.mt/land-transp … individual

Terry

Excellent, many thanks for the clarifications.

tearnet wrote:
Sofienek wrote:

Its not a story but correct. You do have to prove that you have owned it for more than two years and start the process of registration as soon as you enter Malta.
The exemption is only for as long as you own the car, if you sell it then you have to pay the amount due at that time.

http://www.transport.gov.mt/land-transp … individual

Terry

not necessarily as soon as you enter Malta - you dont need to start the reg process immediately if you come here as a tourist with no permanent home - as you may not have made your minds up to stay...and thus can legally be deemed to be a tourist and not a resident (but you must maintain and be able to prove you have not given up your home country residency status at that time and during the period of "tourist") -  a tourist can drive his/her uk registered and taxed car here for upto 6/7months in every 12 months.... once you have decided to stay and become a resident, have your id card you must then start the process within 20 days....

NB a resident cannot legally drive his uk registered car here......

Yes I get that, is it once you apply for the e residency you have 20 days or once you receive your ID then you have the 20 days to sort out the registration for the car and how do you show that the car belong to you for the last 02 years  (I presume the log book).
Basically I don't want to pay the over 1500 EUR registration tax as it looks unfair, I will gladly pay a road tax and an insurance but not an extra tax that I already paid when I bought my car in the uk.

Sofienek wrote:

Yes I get that, is it once you apply for the e residency you have 20 days or once you receive your ID then you have the 20 days to sort out the registration for the car and how do you show that the car belong to you for the last 02 years  (I presume the log book).
Basically I don't want to pay the over 1500 EUR registration tax as it looks unfair, I will gladly pay a road tax and an insurance but not an extra tax that I already paid when I bought my car in the uk.

You have to provide month by month bank statements/ tax forms etc from your country of residence to prove that you have owned the vehicle outside of Malta for the previous two years.
Stay in Malta for a few months before deciding to register it will mean your application will be refused , they are very strict!!

Nah, the log book precisely shows the date of the ownership , what better proof then that plus it is written in english , I'm coming from London UK, surely they not going to ask for Bank statements and all that B......

proof of servicing log book and sales invoices that sort of stuff... etc etc

historical spare parts bills

as for the time when the 20 days starts its entirely dependent on your circumstances and the route you take - its not necessarily from the date of id card application for sure.

Sofienek wrote:

Nah, the log book precisely shows the date of the ownership , what better proof then that plus it is written in english , I'm coming from London UK, surely they not going to ask for Bank statements and all that B......

From the front of your V5C AKA log book  "This document is not proof of ownership"

You will be required to prove that you have lived outside of Malta for more than 2 years and that the car has been outside of Malta for more than 2 years. they will ask for monthly bank statements, insurance documents,  ferry tickets etc.
They are very strict, been their and done it!!

I still have the receipt from when I bought the car here in London, would that be sufficient ?

Sofienek wrote:

I still have the receipt from when I bought the car here in London, would that be sufficient ?

You will have to prove continuous ownership for the two years prior to importing, the receipt just proves you brought it at some point.

Sofienek, please understand that what may seem logical to you in the UK is not how it is out here.
You need to accept that.
If you do not, you will never get on out here.
If they say they want something then THAT is what you provide.
And then be prepared for them asking for more.

and they will ask for it no matter how illogical it is...

Yes sure not a problem, I shall gather all the docs that I have relating to the car.
Thanks a lot guys , I like to be prepared when it comes to formalities as of the Illogical Maltese way, I guess I've seen it before back in my countrie (Tunisia) and I apreciate very much the UK as I learned a lot, I'm sure I will adapt very quickly in the life of Malta, already I have the advantage of the Language.