One night in Seoul ... seeking advice

My wife and I will transit in Seoul for one night only, flight lands Incheon at 7 pm on Sunday and departing the following day at 6 pm. We are basically looking for an all-out real charcoal BBQ soju dinner, then sleep in a hotel, then a light breakfast/lunch the following day.

By the time we check in and freshen up in our hotel, it's probably around 11 pm. Where can we get great BBQ at that time? Great for us doesn't necessarily mean upscale formal expensive, just really good tasting food. By the time we finish dinner, subway may have stopped (?). So it may be best if our hotel is right next to the restaurant.

Ideally, we get airport transit that stops at our hotel, walk out of hotel to have dinner, walk back to sleep, a light breakfast/lunch close to hotel, then hop onto the airport transit and head back. Any help on where to eat and stay would be most helpful. Thank you.

Hi there,

one suggestion would be the Itaewon entertainment district, the D'Oro Hotel (business hotel, i.e. no restaurant facilities) offers very spacious rooms between 75 - 90 USD, another one would be the IP Boutique Hotel for about double that rate with a good buffet restaurant on the first floor. From there, its about a 3-minute walk to "Fish Alley" with many Korean-style BBQ places open until the early morning hours. Can send you more detailed directions if a Google search does not yield satisfying results.

Cheers
Volker

Thanks, Volker! Price is sure good for D'Oro Hotel, but it seems to get quite mixed reviews. IP Boutigque hotel is on the pricey side for just sleeping from around 2 am to checking out in the morning. I could not find the Fish Alley in Itaewon that you mentioned where the BBQ places are for super late dinner. If you could help direct me, that'd be great! Thanks again, Volker!

Other suggestions would be most appreciated!

Hi Derek,

since I don't live in the city any more, I usually stay at the D'Oro when I have dinner / drinking appointments in Seoul. For me, its perfect regarding price and location, never had a complaint. Their standard rooms are ok, but usually booked out, the "deluxe" is better for two people.  There is also the Hamilton Hotel, which is very popular with Japanese and Chinese tour groups, I think 120 - 140 USD, but with smaller rooms and quite "thin walls".

I only recommend places I have been to myself and found these to be good or at least acceptable.

"Fish Alley" has been a nickname by foreigners for a long time, I expected it found its way into some travel blog or directory in the meantime. I uploaded a map with directions to our website at dynatecc.com/Directions_Itaewon.pdf, check it out.

Cheers
Volker