Tefl Teacher to be

Looking for a bit of advice..

I have signed up to the Global Resources Bureau who have been sending me teaching contracts in China beginning in June. So I should be heading off soon.

Most contracts pay an average wage of RMB 5500. (£552)

Silly question but is this good? I'm trying to get an idea of average spending cost too so I know how I will be living over there.  (The accommodation is provided, so just a single person in a very new place to account for)

Anyone able to give an idea?...
Cheers
Em

I believe it sounds a bit low, but could you tell us more about it. For example, for a training center, it is low, but for a university, it may be average or above average.

Usually Universities don't pay to make one rich, but there is the prestige and free time. Such as months off at a time with full pay. Training centers will pay more, but don't expect to get more than 20 days off a year and to work 8 hours a day on Saturday and Sunday.

Also it depends on the region you will be going to, as cost of living  varies. Generally things are cheaper in China, until you start craving Western food. But you can likely easily live on 2-3000 a month, without travel, maybe less. Your utilities may be paid for, so all the better. Are you getting paid much? No. Could it be worse? Yes. You have to way income, experience, housing, city, everything to figure out which is best for you.

5500 per week is pretty good.  Like willa said above, where you live makes all the difference in the world.  China's a very big place.  Life in a tiny dirt town is nothing like life in Shanghai.

Don't expect the free apartment to be anything good.  Chinese businesses are notorious for treating their employees like property.