Info about Hungary

I am originally from Nigeria, but now a Norwegian citizen. I currently live in London, but things are so difficult here now, in terms of job etc. I am thinking of relocating to Hungary, and I have just finish my degree in criminology from one of the university in London, UK, in May, 2010, and  i also have a degree in Municipal planning and administration from Norway.

Please I need some info about Hungary. Are Hungary people kind to foreigners? Are they racist?. I left Norway to England because of the racism. Here in Uk I feel at home as a black person, just that jobs are very scarce.

I also need to know which websites can one look for jobs as a criminologist. Criminology jobs is quite broad.
As a criminologist, I could be looking to work with the police, drugs work, probation officer, security companies, prison work, adult social worker, mental health setting, customs, women crime and justice, NGO`s , crime victimisation  research jobs, substance misuse setting, immigration etc.
I could also go private.

Please could anyone help me with information on where to look to searh for this kind of jobs mentioned above in english in Hungary.

I speak English and Norwegian.Some feedback will be highly appreciated

Thanks

Hi!

Your profession is almost exclusively state run in Hungary due to the sorry state of NGOs. I would think your chances of landing a state job without being a citizen or even speaking the local language are slim.
NGOs are your best bet, but I'm sure you know those better than I do. (AA, 3C, etc) Wait, I do know 2 non-international NGOs interesting to you: tasz (association for (civil) liberty rights) and lmp (an NGO-rooted party that debuted on the recent elections and won some seats in the Parliament)

People are racist, but against the local minority (gypsies) only. (and there's some vague, non-personal fear of "jewish conspiracy") Exotic looking people induce curiosity, not hate from all but the most extreme crazies (skinheads).

Oh, and my South African friend who lived here would want me to warn you about the long and cold winter!

Oh, you are darling, thanks a lot this was really helpful, I will try the websites of the NGO`s you suggested.
Thanks a ot

WHIM86U wrote:

I am originally from Nigeria, but now a Norwegian citizen..... I am thinking of relocating to Hungary, .....

Unless you've got a special reason to want to come to Hungary (like family connections), I would advise anyone, wherever they are from, to consider other countries first.

The economics here in Hungary are not good, the language is difficult and job opportunities very variable for non-native Hungarian speakers. It's a small country without the opportunities of larger economies.

The obvious places to go to for native English speakers are: USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or Ireland. I'm not counting the UK as you are there already.

Thank you for the advice, and I really appreciate it.

I think you should come and see for yourself how is Budapest.
It is a lovely city and it is worth a visit.
Come at least as a tourist and I guarantee that you will have a good time in the city.
Do not take into consideration all those negative replies...

Thank you Girlie,I appreciate that positive reply from you. I will come for a visit.
Thanks a lot

Hi,

i have several black friends (i am white) living here in Bp and no-one has ever complained about racist experiences here in Bp.

I countryside some people might be curious as they have never seen a black person before (actually one of them is married to english white girl and as the first time he visited her parents - who live in a very small village in english countryside - he was a major event in the village as being the first black person there).

Bp has lot of international companies where it is possible to work without problem even if you don't speak hungarian, but most of them are in high tech field so i don't know if that helps. 

I am not sure what field you want to work but i would suggest doing your homework in internet and then visit Bp for a week or two so see how you feel. A lot of people seem to get stuck here tempted by still reasonably low cost of living, good quality of life and endless possibilities for entertainment. Visiting expat events might be a good way of meeting people who could help.

szocske wrote:

NGOs are your best bet, but I'm sure you know those better than I do. (AA, 3C, etc)

Hmm, that was supposed to be Amnesty International and the CCC Soros foundation, but I hurried to the level of incomprehensibility :-)