Moving to Bahrain from a woman's perspective

Hi

We currently live in UK but my husband has Being offered a job in Saudi and we would be living in Bahrain ( Saar is looking our likely choice to live as it is close to causeway) and he will commuting daily , before final decisions are made I think I might need  some reassurance  ,at the moment I work part-time and look after our 2 & half year old daughter but I  really enjoy working and with this move I  would have to give up working ( I know this may be a dream for some but I enjoy not only social side of work but my own self satisfaction through working)  , by the time we move to Bahrain my daughter will be attending nursery so what do ladies of leisure do in Bahrain?  I am in my early 30's Thanks in advance

Although I am not a lady myself, I have number of unemployed expat lady friends. They usually spend their time by the pool, arrange get togethers, meet in Expat clubs for a drink or wander around the shopping malls. Some attend some courses as well.

I am a non-working wife, though a bit older than you! I would second what Brighton guy has said. There are lots of things to do and you can do as much or as little as you like! If you have children it's easier to build up a network of friends too! Some wives work, so you could always consider finding a job if that's what you want to do! I have found Bahrain to be a very sociable place, maybe because it's small and there are plenty of ex-pats here! I'm sure you'll soon settle in!

Agree with above comments - there are so many things to get involved with here and having a child will help you to meet lots of other mums. I would't worry about feeling isolated or lonely at all. Bahrain is a really friendly place!

I live in Saar and it's a lovely area. After a few visits to the nursery and the expat clubs you will have lots of friends. I didn't work for the first year and then finally got a job which I love. I've worked full time for 7 months and have just had my hours reduced to 2 or 3 days which I am really looking forward to as I've had no time for myself or my friends for 7 months as I've been too busy. You will love the life here so through your doubts in the rubbish bin and start planning for a great new life

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, I think this was the reassurance I needed .

Hi

I will move to Bahrain in few months to join my husband and I really wanna find a job.

Do you think it is possible ?

Thanks

Hi,
Your situation is very similar to mine, in that my husband started working in Saudi at the beginning of December and I'll be following him out later this year with our son!  Like you I'll be trying to find my way and meet new friends!

We've just come back to the UK after a visit to find a place to live and put our son on the list for a school!! It was a little busy, hopefully the next visit will be a little more relaxing.  I can say that everyone we met was very friendly.  My son (5) loved the play areas in the malls, and he loved beating me at the Bowling!!

We found a villa on a compound which is close to the British School!

Hope this helps and best wishes

Sarah

We have been here 2 years and I was a full time working mum with 3 boys in the UK.  Everyone told me I would be bored but I wish I had the time to be bored here :)

You will be incredibly busy with social events and if you are keen you can get involved with the ton of charities here or maybe volunteer at nursery/school.  Depending upon what you were doing in the UK you may be able to find a job or maybe take time to think what you would really like to do with your life and use this rare opportunity to follow your dreams.

I have gone from working 6am til 6pm in the UK in a stressful job that I did because I needed the money to now fulfilling a long time dream of teaching swimming which I totally love - because I had the time to do the training and the money was not so important.

Rest assured you will love it here.

Hi
i am an indian and i have got the job around 300 BD.
Is it possible that i can get better than this offer or any other part time job so i can earn Sir

Hi. My husband starts working on the 1st March in Bahrain.  My 2 year old son and I will join him in a month or two. As we can only bring a suitcase each,  what would you advise/recommend to pack? Is there something I should not leave behind? I will also not be working and that seems daunting at the moment. Thank you

Hi i will be moving with my husband in June this year, my daughter is going to Uni in Sept so we will be empty nesters..Good to know woman can work, I have my own small business here in Singapore and although i know i can not do it in Bahrain ( I teach/teach Reiki ) I am hoping to get some kind of job to keep me busy :-)
See you all soon
Mary :kiss:

marydoll99 wrote:

Hi i will be moving with my husband in June this year, my daughter is going to Uni in Sept so we will be empty nesters..Good to know woman can work, I have my own small business here in Singapore and although i know i can not do it in Bahrain ( I teach/teach Reiki ) I am hoping to get some kind of job to keep me busy :-)
See you all soon
Mary :kiss:

Hi,  in your line of work you may find it very easy to get work.  There are lots of centres springing up who want to offer services such as yours and setting up a small business say from home may be an option for you and keeps you under the radar - there is a huge business in "cottage industry" type things going on here.  Am sure you will be fine

Wow thank you Scottrace i am so pleased to hear that..I work from home here in Singapore but its not under the radar as we can have a small home business here...So glad i posted this morning and i can not thank you enough for giving me this info...
:D

Hi Mich2014,

You can get most things in Bahrain though some are more expensive out there.  I didn't have much time on my last visit to get a proper feel for the things I need to bring out with me, but I am planning to bring an existing tub of sudocrem out with us when we visit at Easter, since when I spotted it in the shops it was very expensive.

I'm also bringing out a washing powder scoop, since the box we bought didn't appear to have one, now we will end up with dozens I'm sure  ;)

The good news is that our son also has a full 30kg allowance (Gulf Air) so we should be able to bring out the things that hubby asks for!  I now have a suitcase open on the floor which is having things thrown in it as I think of them / get told they are wanted!  He has asked me to get him an external Hard disk drive as he believes they are cheaper over here!

HTH

Sarah x