Nurse in the Philippines

I am a newly registered nurse here in the philippines.  Ive done all of my basic trainings. Ive been looking for hospitals that are looking for nurses to train or to hire for several months now. And i mist it is really hard to get a job in hospitals here in the philippines. Sometimes im thinking of giving up but i always think about the reason why i wanna work as a nurse. I will still look for hospitals who are hiring entry nurses here or look for someone to refer me to those hospitals. I just want to gain experience and become a nurse abroad wherein i can expand my skills and learn more. Crossing my fingers and praying to God that i will be able to find one very soon.

Hi kazcraze,

Please note that your post is now on the Philippines Forum for better visibility and more interaction :)

I suggest you post your resume in the Nurse job offers in the Philippines section please as it might help :)

Keep it up and we wish you good luck with everything :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Congratulations! Look how far you have come in your journey to becoming a professional nurse. Hang in there and keep trying. Use all your contacts from school and family. Getting that first job is the hardest. In Hawai'i, between 1/3 and 1/2 of my graduating students do NOT have a job as an R.N. one year after they graduate. Sorry, I don't have stats on the Philippine rates. I would assume at least that high, if not more. After your first job, you are an "experienced" R.N. And it gets better.

Dr. Ponani
University Nursing Faculty

Thank you very much :)

You are right Dr. Ponani. Thank you bery much. I won't stop and i won't give up. My bestfriend is a residence of Hawaii but she studied nursing course here in the Philippines. She also passed the local nursing board exam here however, she did not pass NCLEX. I guess NCLEX is really that hard.

NCLEX can be difficult, particularly if English is a second language. Take your first attempt as a learning experience. What will you need to do to ensure success on your retry? Almost all US students take a NCLEX prep course before taking. Forces you to do an organized review. Good luck!

You may have to do volunteer work or nurses aid work before you can move on.  The nurses I know who took the NCLEX test and made it to the USA told me the English proficiency test was the most difficult part of the test.  They had to give directions on the telephone to people trying to find the hospital using maps of a place they had never been.  There was a time limit on their answers.  GOOD LUCK!!

kazcraze wrote:

You are right Dr. Ponani. Thank you bery much. I won't stop and i won't give up. My bestfriend is a residence of Hawaii but she studied nursing course here in the Philippines. She also passed the local nursing board exam here however, she did not pass NCLEX. I guess NCLEX is really that hard.

The best help comes with a very clear understanding of what you are dealing with regarding NCLEX.  Once you have this understanding, you can proceed with a very targeted focus on each element you need to understand, work on and master in 2014. 

After helping a member from my daughter-n-law's family (from Manila-QC) and coaching a Chinese client (in 2013) for preparation on taking NCLEX in California, there are some very important things to understand: 

1. The NCLEX evaluates the test takers ability in critical thinking on the various nursing subjects that include the ability to identify the implications of signs / symptoms and what action is required of the nurse.  NCLEX is a computer based test that utilizes computer adaptive testing (CAT) data to determine your likelihood of passing the exam. 

The seldom understood test facts:
The summary calculations for your individual answers are based on "logits" (a math formulae that reports the differences between the candidate's ability and the test item difficulties).  Starting April 1, 2013, the Board of Registered Nursing (BRN) raised the passing standard for the NCLEX-RN examination from -0.16 logits to 0.00 logits.  This change skewed the test back to a more rigid analysis of (or extrapolation of probability based forecasting of the test taker's) future answers being correct or incorrect. 

2. The NCLEX questions are still based on knowledge of the US nursing role as well as the role of personnel such as LPNs. 

3. Remember, even if you pass the NCLEX-RN exam (and you are US bound) you must possess a social security number or the Board of Nursing cannot issue you a license.  However, if you are sponsored by an employer, the California Board of Nursing will provide a license using the employer's TIN (Tax ID number).

Your best option may be to contact the authorized NCLEX test center for the Philippines (Pearson Professional Centers-Manila, Philippines, +63 2 887 2198) and get all the info you can… then proceed accordingly.

Thank you for the advice. Right now, I am thinking of taking CRNE. But based on my research, some of the states in CANADA requires experience. I dont have any nursing exp. I also researched about Australian exam and I think ill be needing a bridging course for a year or two since i dont have any exp and it is really really expensive. I cant afford it unless I look for someone/employer who will sponsor me but i think it is hard. Because of these, I am thinking of taking middle east nursing exams. i think it would be easier and faster since middle east offers lots of job for nurses without exp. i want to take DHA, or HAAD or MOH but based on my research (again) :), one of their requirements is paid nursing exp. :( So, it brought me down  to my last chance which is SAUDI prometric. I have no problem about the exam bec they dont req exp. Its just that salaries in UAE (westernized countries), Abu Dhabi are competitive than SAudi. I dont know what to do.:((((

[img align=C]C:\Cindy\Certifications\Collaterals[/img]

I feel you. :)  From the moment I've graduated I wish I had an instant experience. But then again, remember not to rush things up. Enjoy your training first here in the Philippines. If I were you, I would invest myself in a tertiary hospital for that first soon to be job. Do your best and when you get hired, you won't think of getting abroad anymore because of enjoying your dream position as 'staff nurse' right. And when the time comes, the stage wherein you are going to tell yourself you are ready for abroad, that will begin after 2yrs. Trust me, I've been there. Now, I'm on my deciding-where- to-go stage, whether it be Saudi, Oman or UAE. By the way, we're also same with the interest of trying NCLEX, by December I am about to take it. :) God bless you on your career. I just saw myself on you, doing a lot of plans and research.  :top:

I'm also a nurse here in the Philippines been practicing since 2006. Its really tough looking for a hospital to work at because most are taking advantage of the supply of nurses which is abundant (at least before). Hey if you like you could come to the province. I know of a hospital looking for nurses right now. I know your in QC but its worth a try. Our place is safe not much night life though I must say the pay isnt good. its just minimum wage (provincial rate). Its a paying job which is better than volunteer work.

mztque wrote:

I'm also a nurse here in the Philippines been practicing since 2006. Its really tough looking for a hospital to work at because most are taking advantage of the supply of nurses which is abundant (at least before). Hey if you like you could come to the province. I know of a hospital looking for nurses right now. I know your in QC but its worth a try. Our place is safe not much night life though I must say the pay isnt good. its just minimum wage (provincial rate). Its a paying job which is better than volunteer work.

In which province are you located?  I know one looking for work in Ilocos Sur

Mine is in Pangasinan. :) Its a tertiary hospital which have expanded. the hospital's bed capacity was formerly 60 plus and has now reach around a hundred plus. Its privately owned by 2 doctors but they cater to various specialties. Its such a busy hospital but the training is worth it.

mztque wrote:

Mine is in Pangasinan. :) Its a tertiary hospital which have expanded. the hospital's bed capacity was formerly 60 plus and has now reach around a hundred plus. Its privately owned by 2 doctors but they cater to various specialties. Its such a busy hospital but the training is worth it.

Thank you, a bit of a commute.

I know of a nurse who worked there and she was from las pinas. Ilocoa sur? try to apply as municipality link for ilocos region at the la union DSWD. its not really for nurses per se but its a job.

kazcraze wrote:

Thank you for the advice. Right now, I am thinking of taking CRNE. But based on my research, some of the states in CANADA requires experience. I dont have any nursing exp. I also researched about Australian exam and I think ill be needing a bridging course for a year or two since i dont have any exp and it is really really expensive. I cant afford it unless I look for someone/employer who will sponsor me but i think it is hard. Because of these, I am thinking of taking middle east nursing exams. i think it would be easier and faster since middle east offers lots of job for nurses without exp. i want to take DHA, or HAAD or MOH but based on my research (again) :), one of their requirements is paid nursing exp. :( So, it brought me down  to my last chance which is SAUDI prometric. I have no problem about the exam bec they dont req exp. Its just that salaries in UAE (westernized countries), Abu Dhabi are competitive than SAudi. I dont know what to do.:((((

Although I am mostly retired from my business & education consulting, some of my past clients in California have asked to get some of my resource material.  One lady (Chinese-born) was able to pass her NCLEX (at 85 questions) with the "test taking" teaching methods and tools I used. If you are not focussed on passing at least 10 questions in a row, the Cat system will project and place more questions on that section in your test sequence. 

As of 2012, the NCLEX was based passing 10 questions in a row for each of the 4 major areas with other "overlapping" match factors for the sub-areas.

1.  Safe and Effective Care Environment:
     -Management of Care (17-23%)
     -Safety and Infection Control (9-15%)
2.  Health Promotion and Maintenance (6-12%)
3.  Psychosocial Integrity (6-12%)
4.  Physiological Integrity:
    -Basic Care and Comfort (6-12%)
    -Pharmacological and Parenteral Therapies (12-18%)
    -Reduction of Risk Potential (9-15%)
    -Physiological Adaptation (11-17%).

Remember, 75 questions are the minimum for all.  If you continue to do poorly, you will exceed the 75 questions and may end up taking all 265 questions.  This is a very math-based predictive test formula so even if the computer doesn't shut off at 75 and you are still getting questions, you have not failed yet!!  However, if the program predicts that you can't answer half of the questions in that section correctly, it stops the test and you fail!

Needless to say, it must be stressed that all potential takers of any nurse related testing MUST stay current with the nursing industry.  You mentioned today (Feb 2015) taking the CRNE in the near future.  The last CRNE exam was on October 1, 2014.   You need to understand that as of January 2015, the NCLEX-RN replaces the CRNE as Canada's national examination for those applying to be a registered nurse.

There is a reason that US test takers do the best (it is not because they are smarter), IMHO it is due to a different test taking mindset since grade school.  According to the NCSBN, in 2012 first time, US educated students had a 91.23% pass rate on the NCLEX.  Yet, in 2012 first-time internationally-educated candidates average pass rate was 36.59%.

There are many other moving parts to this topic but the California NCLEX takers must come under California Business and Professions Code Sec. 2736 (b), which states that, 'theory and clinical practice shall be concurrent.'

I strongly suggest all new Nurses educated here in the Philippines seeking a position in Canada/USA, understand the issues with any discrepancies in their transcripts, Related Learning Experience (RLE) certificate, and their clinical case completion of OR, LR/DR procedures schedules.

Regarding UAE - MOH, HAAD, DHA Licenses were standardized in 2014 but it is reported that salaries still vary between emirates.

Try to apply online to other countries like Usa and Canada,in some case they will help you with the paper work and plane ticket,never give up keep up the determination,most philipinas are nurses or seaman/woman.Good luck.

Hi. I'm a nurse also since 2011. I worked as an on-call nurse and do volunteer also just to practice nursing. I worked also as a nursing asst in a tertiary hospital, being a nurse asst is a stepping stone for the nurses to become staff. We had a heavy workload, we do almost everything even it is not written in our job description. So, I resigned.  :(

Hi, my co-nurses.....   , we are hiring a dental nurse here in Sama Al Janoub medical center in jizan saudi arabia ...our salary offer is 2,200 SR equivalent to 26,000 pesos plus overtime payment.... Free  accommodation  and transportation, if you are ex abroad salary is negotiable....if you are interested send your resume at this email *** and ***

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : For security reasons please do not share your mail on the forum.

Hi Margiestar,

Welcome to Expat.com  :)

If you are hiring dental nurses, please post and ad in the Nurse job offers in the Philippines section of the website.

It will be easier for the members of the Philippines forum to get to you.

Thanks in advance  ;)
Bhavna

Hi good day!
I have just concern about my professional registration. I took the Philippine board exam last May 2015 and luckily I passed. I'm currently working here in dubai for many years. April 2015 I went home just to review and take nursing examination. After the exam I came back to dubai to work while Im waiting for the result. Unluckily I don't have the chance to go home just to file my registration for my profession as a nurse. Is there any problem with my registration if I will do it after a year?
Thank you😊

I'm currently here in dubai :)

Moderated by kenjee 7 years ago
Reason : Please register business in Business Directory and drop advert in JOBS section.
Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the jobs section.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Where are you living