Without speaking German can i find a job in Germany?

Hi everyone,

i wanted to settled in any part of the Germany, i can speak gud english i was wondering whether i can survive without German? i wanted to find a job in IT Sector and is there any chance to find a job without speak german language or german language is mandatory? please anyone help me out....

Thanks
Sonu

I cannot see you be able to get a job in Germany without being able to speak the language.
You should also check out the immigration site for Germany to see if you qualify for a visa. It may be part of the visa conditions that you have to speak and write basic German.

No you won't get a job in Germany if you don't know German. My brother is working there as engineer and even they were offered a crash course of German language by their company in India.

And as Stumpy said even in visa procedure they will check if you can speak German. It's a kind of small test you have to pass for German visa. I would suggest you should go for some quick crash course.

Thank you stampy thanks for information i dont think so immigration of german visa becoz i finished my masters in UK according to german immigration rules i can eligible to get a visa i guess but the problem is i should learn german before i go.....thanks once again

Hi Taani,

Thank you so much for ur suggestion thats what am think to learn german crash course but one of my friend said its difficult to learn german course and someone said without knowing german also we can find a good jobs in IT companies...i know about abroad conditions n last 4 years was in UK but dont know much about german....basically i dont have any friends in germany....if you dnt mine do you know how the IT Jobs in Germany? i mean if i learn basic german will i get a job there ......Thanks

Sonu

Hi Sonu,

Please note that your topic has been moved to Germany forum for more visibility and for better communication with the other members. :)

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com

It is theoretically possible to find a job without speaking German, but most jobs require German language skills.
There is no language requirement for a work visa (especially if you're EU citizen, you don't need any visa!), but daily life will be difficult without German language ability. So please join classes before you come here!

Hi beppi hope u doing good,
Thank u so much for ur information and sorry for late reply, now am learning  crash course German language but difficult to learn its tough to speak German... Basically am looking for job in IT field ... If I wont learn German language it's difficult to servive daily life I guess as u said... Sure will learn before I com... How is the country I mean the weather and people? I heard that German people are  friendly and very helpful... Thanks once again

Thanks
Sonu..

The weather is temperate, which means just a few weeks in summer where you can wear T-shirt and shorts and there is daylight until 10pm, long autumn and spring periods where the weather changes frequently and you need long sleeves and a jacket, and a few months of winter with often freezing cold and snow, sun sets at 4pm and you need warm boots, coat and gloves.
My wife, who is from the tropics, finds November especially difficult, because it is cold, grey, rainy and you sometimes don't see the sun for weeks. Most Germans moving to the tropics miss the change of seasons, which gives every year a predictable rhythm.

Like everywhere, Germany has nice and not so nice people, and (also like everywhere) the nice ones are the majority. However, Germans are generally more reserved and less outgoing than others. They will not befriend you, and some might be offended if you try too hard to befriend them. You have to be very patient to make friends here, but in general (even though they might not show it) they will appreciate your efforts in making the first steps towards them.

No
I moved here (Rostock) from New Zealand and you have to have some German. Not only is it polite to use the native tongue, it is also fun to watch them try and comprehend what you are saying. You will find a lot of the shops you go to some staff only speak German. Do not worry though, you can generally cruise around with a few catch phrases and the rest you will pick up. 6 months on and I believe I almost have the vocabulary of a 5 year old German child.

Wow, is that right. I got my residence permit with almost no German, they were fine with English, but I am a Scientist and was mainly employed to help improve the English level of publications and research grant applications.

Here is the list of the best websites to look for jobs: http://avanthard.wordpress.com/2014/01/ … in-berlin/
Both: German and English speaking

:) Hope it helps!

P.S. and that's TOTAL rubbish, you do not need to speak German in order to get an IT job!
I know many guys who work without speaking more than A2.

It is possible, but speaking German is important, especially if you don't have very sought-after skills (beyond simple development, product management etc.) or aren't being recruited. I work in IT and don't speak German, but consider myself an exception (I've worked for highly international companies).

Hallo

its possible if you work for SAP but extremely difficult.  You will need a bit of Deutsch to communicate.

I think other... You will definitely find a job here given that in a certain laps of time to can undestand or fully speak the language. Learning by doing!.. It was my case .. !! The IT branch is very demanding here.. So thereŽs chances as they are hiring everywhere where thereŽs possibility..

The rude things is the papers, VISA and and!! If that Is cleared, so welcome to Germany..

I am sorry to disappoint you, but you do not need to speak German to get, find or even be hire to work in Germany, you need good German if you are becoming a German citizen, definitely helps a lot to speak the native language, the more you know German the better, for an instance, if you are living in Berlin or Hamburg chances to get hire are a lot, but if you live in a little village in Bayern more likely you will be ignored.

Go to the Federal Ministry of Interior.   "www.bamf.de/eaufenthaltstitel" Why people has to say so many guesses and nothing is true??? Get the facts, quit telling stories, get them from the real people of the Interior, you do not need German to get a VISA WORK PERMIT!

Hi good morning I hope to your nice day  have  Hello dear sir/madum  my.........professional  work is construction fild Am a pressure vessel and BoiBoiller and Piping Fabricator  so any  have job please give me replay on Reqwirment

Requirements for finding a job in Germany are usually German language skills and a valid work visa. Do you have that?

Could you please give an example of german immigration websites to get employed?

Ilnar97 wrote:

Could you please give an example of german immigration websites to get employed?

Immigration and employment are separate issues and handled by different authorities.
You won't find an office that helps you with finding a job AND getting the visa!
For employment, the Arbeitsamt is the correct authority (although commercial websited like Stepstone or Linkedin are far better) and for immigration the German embassy in your country can help.

No, I think even I.T. help-desk jobs want you fluent in German. I say this because even as an EU citizen I keep getting shot down immediately every place I apply to for that job. I'm not sure if it's because by my picture they think I'm either African or American, either of which requires a visa which I don't have because I was born in France which means no visa needed. But no one can see past my skin colour, I think. It's just "black = American, nein, danke." I don't think they're even getting to the part where my age makes me "too old." I really don't.

avant-hard wrote:

Here is the list of the best websites to look for jobs: http://avanthard.wordpress.com/2014/01/ … in-berlin/

P.S. and that's TOTAL rubbish, you do not need to speak German in order to get an IT job!

Those people probably "knew someone" in the field to get the IT job. Most of the IT jobs are advertised through the Bundesagentur Für Arbeit which is entirely in German. And they're advertised entirely in German. I mean, I had one year of German in grad school and this is what I'm getting there and I"m an EU-Member-State citizen. (Both France and at least for the moment, the UK).

pkennedy1990 wrote:
avant-hard wrote:

Those people probably "knew someone" in the field to get the IT job. Most of the IT jobs are advertised through the Bundesagentur Für Arbeit which is entirely in German. And they're advertised entirely in German. I mean, I had one year of German in grad school and this is what I'm getting there and I"m an EU-Member-State citizen. (Both France and at least for the moment, the UK).

One sees jobs offered for English speakers on various job websites for IT jobs. And I have been to SAP'S headquarters for an event. The majority of people (we are talking thousands) were foreigners and many to most seemed not to know much if any German.

Hi Sonuu,
You definitely would be able to find a job in Germany if you have fluent english. Obviously some German language skills would be of benefit to you but are not necessary for many jobs especially in IT. Germans in general all have amazing english so you would have no problem in your day to day life. I have many international friends in Germany at the moment and most of them are working through english. I would advise you to partake in German language classes once you get here as it will be much easier for you to integrate with your german colleges if you can understand their native language

Germany is a country which has a big demand for certain skills and does not produce enough domestic talent to fill all these roles.  I know many Indians working in particularly in tech, finance and for large multinationals who either speak no German or very basic.  However, because their skills are in demand it is no problem.

There are also quite a few Indian doctors now in Germany, although they need B2 level German.

Aisling12 wrote:

Hi Sonuu,
You definitely would be able to find a job in Germany if you have fluent english. Obviously some German language skills would be of benefit to you but are not necessary for many jobs especially in IT. Germans in general all have amazing english so you would have no problem in your day to day life. I have many international friends in Germany at the moment and most of them are working through english. I would advise you to partake in German language classes once you get here as it will be much easier for you to integrate with your german colleges if you can understand their native language

“You definitely would be able to find a job in Germany if you have fluent English.” This is simply not true. An English speaker who doesn't speak German has good opportunities in a few very niche markets like IT, certain types of engineering, and certain medical specialties. Many other experienced professionals have little to no hope. It is wrong to point to one of the exceptions and then deny the general reality that one needs German to work in most jobs in Germany. It's not just a matter of having professional credentials. There are areas even in engineering and medicine that have enough workers in Germany and getting a job and visa for a non-German speaker is very unlikely.

Indian_Cricket_Warrior wrote:

Germany is a country which has a big demand for certain skills and does not produce enough domestic talent to fill all these roles.  I know many Indians working in particularly in tech, finance and for large multinationals who either speak no German or very basic.  However, because their skills are in demand it is no problem.

There are also quite a few Indian doctors now in Germany, although they need B2 level German.

IT workers are in demand and being recruited world-wide. But Finance? Not really; banks and financial institutions have been downsizing in recent years and there is an oversupply of qualified people; little need to look for non-German speakers. I can imagine a scenario where a non-German speaker with impeccable, unique credentials might be headhunted for a specific job for an international project or department. But as a whole it is not a field with a lot of opportunity for foreigners. But if you can really name companies offering positions to English speakers I am sure many readers here would be interested to hear.

Tom, I think I would know, as I have worked for 2 large international banks and one Fintech startup.

In the German offices in Berlin and Frankfurt, I  have many Indian friends who speak barely a word of German.  They are employed because (shock!) German banks do a lot of business in India, and so require English and Urdu speakers and those who know the market, know how to interact with fellow Indians.

Fintech startups I also know many Indians who have been head-hunted to come to Germany, as they have skills in demand.  A lot of banks nowadays are basically a tech business, not simply cashing cheques and deposits.  Therefore, you will find you can get a job without German, if you have either A) financial qualifications and banking exp and are familiar with another market B) tech skills

Also, I might add a lot of financial business is re-locating from London to Frankfurt or Berlin.  This is why I ended up in Germany, as half of the London office is planned to move to Germany post-Brexit

Well, a department of an international bank that focuses on India would be a logical opportunity for an Indian. How large is this market that you claim is so big?  Is this 1% of the banking/financial market? Or perhaps 0.1%? Or likely less?

And the only German bank that I can even verify  that has a presence in India is Deutsche Bank. They have branches in 16 cities there so must employ a number of people there. But how many would they need in Germany for inter- Germany-India business and transactions? Some I guess, but does this mean a lot of jobs? Are we talking hundreds? Dozens? Or likely a handful or two?

On the contrary, I can say that SAP alone hires a few thousand foreigners making them an example of the often touted opportunities in IT/Tech. But in finance it doesn't seem likely to be a large number. Unfortunately these are not statistics easily and reliably found.