What does it mean in English, please?

Dear native-speakers,

can you, pls, consult on that:

the law restricts this device to sale by or on the order of an appropriately licensed healthcare practitioner.

Does it mean that the healthcare practitioner only can sell or order the device?

Healthcare practitioner = a doctor?

Can a doctor sell medical devices? (the device is a rather sophisticated laboratory stuff)

I am a little confused. :huh:

You guessed right. You may still need the input of an attorney or a field professional.

Oh, and HC practitioner doesn't have to be a "doctor" with an MD or whatever it is they call it around here.
Even a nurse fits the description "appropriately licensed healthcare practitioner"

Thanks, MoEl

But I still cannot get into the logical part of it - how can it be that a doctor/nurse/whatever-related-to-medical-treatment is engaged into selling medical devices?

Is that normal? Isn't he/she supposed to use the medical device to treat patients?

I have no attorney or field professional to consult on this... :(

Unless the appropriately lincensed healthcare practitioner not necesserily be a "practising medical person" but rather smb who got more or less medical education. Can it be so?

It relates more to the way the things are in the US (as this was written there), rather than to the language itself, I assume.

I'll send you a PM

You know, it could also be that even a healthcare practitioner still needs to acquire a special license to sell or buy that equipment.
As I said, it depends on what else that contract or policy states.

Palachakh wrote:

Unless the appropriately lincensed healthcare practitioner not necesserily be a "practising medical person"

No. He/she must be "practicing" and not just medically educated. Now the concept of "practice" itself varies unless defined elsewhere.

MoEl wrote:

Oh, and HC practitioner doesn't have to be a "doctor" with an MD or whatever it is they call it around here.
Even a nurse fits the description "appropriately licensed healthcare practitioner"

''Even a nurse''....?! duuuuude - don't ever say that to a nurse!

meems wrote:

''Even a nurse''....?! duuuuude - don't ever say that to a nurse!

Yes ma'am

good lad!

Palachakh wrote:

the law restricts this device to sale by or on the order of an appropriately licensed healthcare practitioner.

Does it mean that the healthcare practitioner only can sell or order the device?

It's the manufacturer's disclaimer, and is not legally binding in any way.

It means that for example, if you take your eye out while using the device, then it's a bit more difficult to get any compensation for your missing eye.

Pray tell us the nature of your widget ;)

Thanks everybody!

Sandman, this is a scanner that is used to digitize human tissue specimens (e.g. like those to study for cancer) and the accompaning software to prosess the resulting images. Manufactured in the US.