Upcoming Marriage In Brazil!

:cheers: Good Morning,

I am posting this topic in regards to the process of marriage in Brazil. Myself and my fiance are preparing to marry in Sao Paulo "Santo Andre" in April. I am currently deployed with the United States Navy in Okinawa Japan so i have been doing a lot of work through family and friends who reside in the states. At the moment i have my Birth Certificate as well as my Declaration of Single Status authenticated by the Brazilian Consulate in Washington D.C. Both documents are new, only issued and certified 3 weeks ago. I am also sending a Power of Attorney to be authenticated as well in order for my father-in-law to arrange the dates with my fiance since i am in deployment status. In addition to those documents, what else is required? Also, what is the estimated date of completion? Would we be able to marry by April?  :unsure

Thanks in advance for all the help you can provide, this is truly an event myself and my fiance look forward to.

Hi Vance,

The entire process of applying for permission to marry, getting married and the subsequent application for a VIPER Permanent Visa is explained in the following topic:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=280525

Once the documents are all in order and submitted to the Cartório there is a waiting period of one month, while the banns are published in the Diário Oficial da União (Official Gazette) then permission is granted for marriage.

Once you have the Marriage Certificate and all the other documents for the VIPER application you get a protocolo which permits you to remain in Brazil and to work while the application is being processed. That can take up to two years or more to be completed.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

good morning and thank you for the information provided!