Expat couple in Salinas victims of home invastion, not injured

On January 12, 2014, a retired expat couple were victims of a home invasion in Salinas Ecuador. The two assailants were carrying guns and forced their way into the home at about 5:00 pm. They were not injured physically.
http://latinamericacurrentevents.com/sa … ion/30401/

How old were teh people who were robbed?

Wow, the MIlina is not a condo with fences all around and guard and security?
Kind strange!
I think the couple were been watched before go after them. Someone have been watching what they do, what time, etc
Im building in Puerto López and Im trying to think in all kind of security stuff that I can use in many situations. Notice that Puerto López has many blacks out at day and night.

Timo I did not hear  of this robbery but with all the electrical being shut off and on all the time in the area that Maria Pia is in the only thing I can think of is Lights blinking on and off on battaries on a delay system thinking people are home when they are not.  And I mean flood lights. 
I also thing a high thick high wall with glass on top of wall and then wire like for electric so when electric cuts off then they have their legs cut by glass and the wire is bob wire so it catches their clothes.  See nothing really stops them it is a delay system.  You hope someone notices a neighbor, police someone before the run.  Any ideas but when they brake the wire a very very very loud alarm goes off that wakes the town.  Arent I terrible noise always gets them to run.  Your mother.

I am not sure what the relevance of age is to this home invasion.

Our home is in an area of La Milina that is considered very safe by all who live in the area.  This is the first time that there have been guns involved in any type of robbery according to our Ecuadorian and Expat neighbors.  There were several incidents in the Salinas area last weekend where people were robbed at gun point and they were not all Gringos who were robbed.  The police do not thing that we were targets but randomly picked.  There is a gang of Colombians operating out of Guayaquil using motor bikes and working in pairs.  Every one is now on high alert across the peninsular.  Thankfully we were not hurt and only a few possessions were taken.

Well, I think a robber will prefer to attack a elder than a big young man.

That is the thing.

Guys, just today I found in internet  about a panic botton that people can use for emergency.
I thought that people has to install it in home.

They are working different, you dont have to install anything in home.

I have to go to the Police station and get my cellphone register, so if I have an emergency I have to push the number 5 in my cellphone and the alarm will go on in the Police Station also the alarm has a geoposition system, that will help to find me.

That sounds worthwhile, MariaPia. Is it a nationwide program -- could I sign up for it in Quito?

MariaPiaBlog wrote:

Well, I think a robber will prefer to attack a elder than a big young man.

That is the thing.

Guys, just today I found in internet  about a panic botton that people can use for emergency.
I thought that people has to install it in home.

They are working different, you dont have to install anything in home.

I have to go to the Police station and get my cellphone register, so if I have an emergency I have to push the number 5 in my cellphone and the alarm will go on in the Police Station also the alarm has a geoposition system, that will help to find me.

That's a solid idea, but would be curious to see how well it would work in place like Ecuador, or in the less populated, smaller towns in Ecuador.

For real emergencies or attacks this is a great idea.  But will the police come in Ecuador???
Please let us know what they say to you Senior Expat will be curious Maria Pia.

Joan you were luck and just give them what every they are looking for.  but we should be prepared and have lights turning on and alarms and pain buttons we need noise they don't like dogs etc.  All this keeps them away.  Glady your safe.

Yes guys, is a nationwide program. I still have to go the Police Station in Puerto Lopez and see if they has the system working. For sure in the mayor cities.

You have to look for the closest Police Station in your neighboorhood, make color copies of cedula/passport, voting card (that is for ecuadorians of for foreigns that got register for voting) a utility bill in order to see the adrees where you live and fill out a form.

The program is call Boton de Panico" ( panic botton)

Boton de Pánico

Policia

Thank you, MariaPia. Valuable info.

Joan we all don't want to get personal but we feel that these robbers go after people like myself
older people who are not strong just in case they fight they want to feel they can over take them.  So everyone wants to know your age please.  Maria Pia espically because she is building a house at the beach and she is 4'7' maybe smaller and though a beautiful figure and very pretty she draws a lot of attention so I am afraid for her.  She is afraid for me because I am very white and old and she is not sure I can fight so these are two types robbers hit
1.  Elderly
2.  Tiny women alone or with child
so if you would mind just telling us how many of the people you know that were attacked were over 55 yrs old in your town?  Thank you so much  this is not meet to be personal of mean.
God Bless You and we all are glad you are not hurt

Loved the idea.  But will it work in a town in Ecuador.  Well I don't think in a large town.  But maybe in a small town.  And if in any town Maria Pia will get them to use it in her town she is quite a fighter.  Well Maria Pia can you go to your police station and talk them into using this
machine.  You can buy maybe 3 talk to different women in town and get them to buy one at the same time as you so the police know who has one and you all test it together.  Make sure they work.  Maybe check them every 3 months.  Not every 6 months.  But I would still have zappers and spray and all the other things we discussed.  You can never over plan because when one does not work you have to have other things. 
What other people do not realize is how tiny you are and delicate and pretty.
It is noticeable and will stand out in a small town.

You are rigth.

Robbers goes specially to the weak people. (Is what I think) Because someone who is not strong cant fight as hard as a big/young/strong boy/girl can.

My daddy is almost 70 years old but he looks strong. He has big arms and legs and for some reason whoever sees him walking by, says: Good morning sir!!

and I laugh, seems like they think my daddy look like soldier or something.

Im 35years old and 5", Im tiny. I keep my police mace with me all the time (just in case) I just have use it once againts a dog in Cuenca when I was walking my Mama Lee, Chee Lee and 2 little girls on Paraiso Park. The dog tried to attack us and Mama Lee went psico, so I spray the dog

Near Palermo Building in Cuenca there is a white & blue building, has big letters UPC that is a Police Station where you can register your cellphone and if you have a emergency, you can push the #5 and they will come to your place.

I will suggest all gringos get that Panic Botton. If you dont speak spanish and you have a medical attention, something that dont allow you to go somewhere, you can use the #5 in the cellphone, they will come see you and if they see is a medical emergency they will call the ambulance.

That is better than nothing, having a heart attack and being unable to call the 911 and explain you need a Dr.