Our recent trip,What to bring, what can't we buy there,

My wife and I just finished our second Panama trip in December? (Over the last 6 years we and our relatives have visited most of Central America, looking for retirement countries) this trip we were looking for cities, and checking out shopping. We went from the City, over to Chame visiting Clyde & Terry ( you can search for their blog, "Along the Gringo Trail" )'. Up to Sora, and El Valle, down to Las Tablas, then to Pedasi, then way over to David, up to Volcan, and Cerra Punta, then a bus over to Bocas del Tora, finally a plane to Panama City to check out Albrook Mall, before leaving.  We loved the B & B we were in at the start of the stay and also the last day, it's in Balbo Heights, close to Albrook Mall and bridge to Americas, and also the B & B in Pedasi, if you want the names send me a personal message.

Our thoughts Sora, it was very high, And talking to a former resident, since the new houses are perched on the hillside for the view, they get very high winds at times around 100 mph, ride up there was fairly long, and I could see a lot of time, and wear on your car, as there wasn't a great amount of places to purchase everyday things.  So you would be making the trip often. Also reports of a lot of mold on and around your house, due to the clouds.

Coronado and Chame, big expat community, many Americans, Canadians, lots of infrastructure.

Las Tablas, ...we kept getting lost.. Know the city is better than our experiences, as I've read some blogs about it, and people like it.

Pedasi, small town, friendly, some stores for food,
Several restaurants, also close to Las Tablas, to get things at a bigger shopping place,..Have to figure out how to not get lost every time...LOL, it's one of three places that is promising for us. Fishing close by, so will be able to get fresh fish, asked another expat, and also a blogger, Connie (search our third life in Pedasi) who we saw walking down a street, yep small town, about farmers markets, she said, not as big of a selection as they would want.

El Valle, we were there on market day, have photos to add, but can't today, as they are still on camera, lovely town, and this time (many of these places we visited on our first trip in Feb 2011)We also found a road that circles up and around the back of the town, and the Volcano rim. It's on our list of one of the possibilities..

On the way west to David, we drove over the worst part of the Pan American highway, our other car, (three couples, two rental cars) hit a pothole on a bridge, and blew out a tire, hole was so big you could see the rebar. Our car just bearly was able to  straddle it. It was very big. When we pulled over to change tire, another car hit the same hole, not only, blew his tire but cracked his rim. His spare was flat, so we ended up taking him and his tire to the first gas station further down the road. A distance close to 45 miles. The other couples that drove back 5 1/2 days later, (we took the plane) said they were just then putting a metal plate over the hole. 5 1/2 days...wonder how many tires...

The David area, on up to Volcan an Cerro Punta, finish up our 3 places that seem interesting to us. David has a several hospitals, both Public and private, a lot of shopping, and also close to Pacific, and mountains (Boquete is about 35 minutes). Volcan,Cerro Punta, also David area are the bread basket areas of Panama, so there are a lot of roadside farmers markets. I actually saw Holstein cows in Cerro Punta, maybe we can make cheese in our retirement?

So, the things I found out about shopping, as far as food, you can purchase almost everything, canned goods are more expensive, considering the size  of cans in regular stores (didn't go in a price smart or costco) you might want to check out Panamforreal. With Chris, on that.  But with all the fresh fruit and veggies available, skip the canned stuff.mThe regular stores did not have a good spice selection, and the other thing, since panamians don't have big or maybe no refrigerators they don't have big selections of dairy products? I did notice that butter was $4.65 a lb. and not much of a selection, lots of margine.

Ok, if I can figure out how to add photos, here is what you will see,
inside of a super 99 store in David,lots of shelf shots and meat case

Dept store in Panama City Albrook mall. (We took photos of stoves, refers, washing machines, forgot to take photo of table an chairs..sorry!) I would not recommend bringing any appliances for two or three reasons,
1. You can purchase them there.
2. Yours might not be repairable, for lack of parts or knowledge
3. Cost of shipping.

Some of the photos of the appliances, show price tags,

the items I didn't photograph a comfortable queen mattress was $899 same as a King size, sheets btw were more expensive, and lower quality
A glass top high end table was $799. Included 6 chairs.

Oh, Almost forgot, hardware stores...looks like they have everything covered, except did not see, any table saws, or a good drill press.  Which makes some sense, since there is very little wood for sale, most things are made using cement...due to termites, and cost of wood, also have photos of tools and prices in a HWI store

Will also post photos of Countryside around Cerro Punta. Including a Christmas Poinsettia plant (tree)

Thanks for reading, hope I didn't bore you, now to figure out this photo thing.

Hugo  & Cynthia

PS doing this from my IPad, not all mistakes are my own making....

Hi Hugo & Cyd,
Yes, you can probably get almost anything in Panama depending on where you live and where you want to drive to. We did not bring much, but we are glad we brought Mikkel's tools as well as our stainless steel & cast iron pots and pans. We also are glad we brought a good set of cutlery an flatware. They are available here, but the quality is not as good for the most part. We left our good stainless steel mixing bowls behind, but finally found a good set on our last trip to PriceSmart in David. Still looking for a good carbon steel wok to replace the one we left behind, but if we can't find something, we can always order from Amazon.com and have it shipped to our MBE forwarding address. I order Avon Bug Guard Skin-So-Soft from the states because they don't offer it here and I am allergic to DEET. We probably brought too many clothes. We have bought a few small kitchen appliances in Panama-microwave, rice cooker, & crockpot, but beware that all the directions and buttons will probably be in spanish. Glad we brought our Blentec blender. A lot of these things you can also find on Craigslist in Panama, on sell by other expats who are moving or just find they don't need them anymore. I bought our artificial Christmas tree this way, and also our car with the help of Keith, the car guy in Boquete. We have also learn to adjust without so many things. Oh yes, if you can,bring a set of good sheets and towels. We were glad we did especially where we lived at first, although again we found some at PriceSmart recently. You can find almost anything here, just ask around and most anyone is willing to share where to go depending on where you finally decide to live. I am sure others on this forum will have other info, but I hope this helps a little.
Connie & Mikkel

Your trip sounds like one of our first trips (minus the big pothole problem)  We priced everything.  Once here, we found that there are only a few things that you can't get here in Boquete/David.  Good quality sheets, linens and towels top the list.  Other things are very personal and differs from person to person.  You can shop in PC and have your items delivered through Uno Express/Fletes Cheveles or other companies.  They have a much larger selection there.
When we returned on the relocation cruise (no longer available :-(  ), we found that people brought some odd things back with them.  We brought 30 cases of Fancy Feast for our cats.  You can get it in PC, but it's almost $1 a can.  We also brought Christmas candy, buttermilk powder, egg noodles, grits, toothpaste in the container, not tube.  Most/all of it sounds crazy unless you live here.
While we were there we also took time to raid our storage unit.  We brought cooking items, shoes, clothes, crock pot, breadmaker, and some of my husbands tools.  Women's clothing/shoes is difficult to buy here because of size and quality. 
The oddest things are expensive here.  Prepared foods of any type, mainly because people here buy fresh from the market.  Rarely are things on sale, no coupons and no BOGO.  Cheeses, soda, pet food are pricier than in the US.  Fresh fruits, vegetables, chicken, juices are much cheaper.  Turkey is crazy expensive.
If you're interested, I wrote about this some time ago about shopping and our cruise experience because it's just an odd fact about living in Panama.

So great to read about your trip!  I can't wait for this to come to fruition for all of us someday!  We have yet to get to David or Boquete.  We plan on renting a place there after staying for some time in El Valle or the beach area.  We want to compare it all, test the waters in several areas and maybe then we can make an informed decision.  Or just a decision for that matter :)  First, we have to even see what come available when we move there!  That will be the biggie!

Just had to add my $.02 ... We've been in Panama on and off for over five years now.  "Snowbirds" y'know... when it get frosty we head south and then wait until the snows are long gone to head back north.  We've explored practically every  residential community aside from Bocas del Toro and after renting here and there for years, finally decided to buy a home in Altos de Cerro Azul.  The reasons: High enough in the mtns to have a very comfortable climate, Remote and very quiet and still very convenient to Panama City and all the conveniences, a large enough expat community for arms-length companionship but still enough Panamanian neighbors for the national flavor, Gated community for a very secure feeling without having to live behind iron bars and gates.

On what to bring when you move down here: practically nothing other than items of a highly personal preference.  Almost everything is available in the city once you become familiar with where to look, though sometimes you will have to pay a small premium for unusual things.  And our experience is that over the years we've been exploring, more and more high quality goods have found their way into the stores.  Only a few years ago, we would have to look high and low for specific tools and now... an example: I was convinced that there was a ban on importing basin wrenches (you know, the reason most sinks in public restrooms have loose faucets?) ... two months ago suddenly basin wrenches showed up in every DOIT Center!  The magic continues...