What is the process to get a CPF in the USA? i have a Brazil Visa

I need to get a CPF while I am in the USA.. I have a Brazilian Visa. Any help on the best way to get this done would be great. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Any reason why you have to get one in the US? It takes 3-6 months to get a CPF through the Brazilian Consulate/Embassy plus $20USD and a trip to the USPS for a postal money order plus fee.

If you wait until you are in Brazil you get it in minutes (minus the wait for your number to be called) and it goats about $2.50USD.

If you need it ASAP in the US it won't happen. Urgency does not exist in Brazil. ;)

If you need a CPF issued before you leave for whatever reason, you go to the embassy /consulate serving your jurisdiction, fill out the application, and pay the fee. Then wait, wait, wait.

Matt-

Thanks for the info… I will go to Miami and get it started.. I won't be in Brazil for a few months anyway. dr

Hi Danny,

There is absolutely no need whatsoever to have a Brazilian CPF number if you're not in Brazil unless you intend to purchase a house while not a resident of the country. If that is NOT your situation then trying to obtain a CPF through the Consulate in the USA is an absolute waste of time.

Otherwise, even if you're planning on coming to Brazil for work purposes you can obtain your CPF number on the day you arrive in minutes by going to the Receita Federal. Your CPF number is how the Brazilian government taxes you, so it is the ONLY thing that they've made SIMPLE. Everything else in this country is more complicated than you could ever possibly imagine. You'll soon find that out for yourself.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

Thanks for the reply, however there is another reason which I won't dive into on a blog for my needing a CPF. I had thought I could get this in a timely manner at a consulate here, however that doesn't seem to be the case. Thanks for the info all.

dannyrodman wrote:

Thanks for the reply, however there is another reason which I won't dive into on a blog for my needing a CPF. I had thought I could get this in a timely manner at a consulate here, however that doesn't seem to be the case. Thanks for the info all.

Well, without a CPF I had trouble getting a SIM card for my phone as a tourist. I agree it is not necessary while outside the US, but once you get there and if you plan to reside in there you will want one immediately. Life is non-existant without one. I was asked for my CPF at a pharmacy. I was even asked when I bought a printer at Bemol.

Good luck on your journey. Be sure to check in from time to time to let us know how pleasant it has been. :D:cheers:

I was thinking you may know I was a expat there for 3 years - would I have had to have a CPF for my company to pay the taxes etc? I thought I read someplace you only need one or have one.

If you were a salaried employee of a company in Brazil in the past then you would have already been issued a CPF. You can't work here without one. You should contact your former employer and see if they have your CPF number on file.

How do I get a SIM card and activate a phone in Brazil as a foreigner?

Yep found it… for some reason I kept the card all these years … had it check and it is still valid.. Thanks all for the help .. it has been a long while since I lived there. I sure miss it.

:offtopic:

BUT, the answer is you need to buy one at a place that sells them. Obviously the cellular stores all carry SIMs (all sizes) and some gas stations and markets sell them as well. In order to activate the SIM card you will need a CPF #. It is not uncommon for the store employees to give you theres to activate it.

Hi there D,

It took me just about a month to get the CPF after application. It is possible that different consulates in USA works differently. So if you are still figuring this out apply for the CPF and see how it goes.

Good Luck !