Adapting to Malta

Hello,
My husband,son,dog and I are looking to make the move to Malta. I am fine with the island life as I grew up in Hawaii. However, I moved 5 years ago to Lake Tahoe, Nv. which is at a much slower pace with traffic, which was a big motivation for me to move there. Can anyone tell me is it a mess on the roads of Malta? Is it a very walkable place? Having a very active son, are activities easily accessible by foot? I see there is a scouting group and baseball.  Are there recreation facilities with pools and basketball or soccer fields?
How about pet friendly areas, like parks?
Do any of you know how to get a pet over there?
We will be looking to rent for the time being any areas I should really consider?
Schooling is also a concern for my son. Any suggestions?
Thanks for your response in advance.

My opinion. You will find a lot of Malta, crowded, over developed, congested, noisy, polluted and lacking in those things you seem to enjoy and expect.
I would suggest you cannot by any stretch of the imagination compare Malta with Hawaii or Lake Tahoe.
So why are you thinking of Malta?

Please read the numerous articles and posts about Malta and also look at the maps and satellite images on Google Maps.

I live on Gozo which is very different but still lacks what you seem to be seeking.

Perhaps your motivation to move to Malta is strictly work related? It is a bit on the opposite side of the spectrum compared to Lake Tahoe. Malta is very crowded and traffic is everywhere and chaotic.
That said, we enjoy it. If you manage to find a nice place to live, that is quiet and peaceful, you will have a great time.
Education: there is Verdala International School which runs the American High School program and the International Bacalaureate program. Very good school, partly funded by the US Embassy.
Parks are available here and there. You better come over here for a holiday before moving.

Just looked at pictures of your village and location. Beautiful!!!!
If lived there I would never want to leave. Not even for Gozo!!! (And that's saying something.)
No way can you compare Malta with that.

Hi RKH,

welcome to the forum.

After reading your post,knowing the Lake Tahoe area and having to answer all your questions with a clear no , I'm wondering about your motivation to move to Malta. Why?

I'm fairly sure you would not stay long (my American girlfriend is just moving back to the US after 5 years in Malta - she can't take it any more).

Are you EU citizens wanting to move back to Europe? The main motivation for people to move to Malta is the mediterranean climate, English being spoken (more or sometimes less) and the sea. This makes it ideal for retirees but also youngsters looking for jobs in very specific areas (IT,i-gaming,offshore banking) and for people looking at for a low income tax location.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi RKH,
I am only basing my view on 6 mths here and living in Qawra.
We have a dog and a 2 yr old boy who has boundless energy too.
I am regretful we brought our Labrador out mainly because unless you have a car here, you're stuffed for walks as it's not allowed for dogs to go on buses. You're also limited on the beach - I think there are only 5 you can 'legally' take them on. We often get dirty looks with Tilly even though she's gentle and placid. We could also possibly be the only people in Qawra to pick up after their dog (BIG problem here !).
With regard to your son, there aren't a huge amount of parks but you do have the wonderful sea. Waterpolo seems popular out here (Sirens is round our way and train in Sliema in winter).

Looking for some realtors to show us some property while we are there. Any recommendations out there?

RKH wrote:

Looking for some realtors to show us some property while we are there. Any recommendations out there?

Rent or buy?
If renting there is one I know personally and will vouch for his integrity.
It would also be useful if you were to answer some previously asked questions, the more we know of you the better we may be able to help and advise. That is not written arrogantly, simply a truism as I see it.
Otherwise, I think you are going to be in for a shock.

@ fergie

I always pick up after my retriever in Qawra every walk :P but I know what you mean although we do have a lovely walk from the point to the dolmen and back twice a day do you not walk that route it's lovely and not many other dogs.

I'll look out for you and a lab now we know you're here :)

RKH we are in the same position, moving this year. My son will be 4 and my daughter 1 by the time we move. (we also have a dog too)

My preferred school would be verdala because of the style of education but I don't think we can afford the fee's so we will probably be looking at the local schools or the cheaper private ones (verdala is the most expensive on the island I think!).

We will also be bringing our dog. Probably by plane. theres lots of info about this. I can look out some links for you if you like.

The housing stock seems to be mostly apartments and duplex's so very different from what we are used to here in the UK and I am concerned about having outdoor space for the dog (and our boy!). Parks aren't green open spaces like here but there are places to walk dogs (albeit not most of the beaches and a nature reserve has only recently opened up to dog walkers as long as the dog is on a lead)

Driving sounds like its crazy but at least its on the side of the road we are used to (not the same for you!). We are planning to hire a car as there is a tax if you import a car you've had for less than 2 yrs. Buses seem regular so we are hoping to manage with just the one car.

Having said that everyone has said to me the lifestyle for children is great. Theres an outdoor lifestyle, less of a health and safety culture and kids can be kids which appeals. some of the private catholic schools run 7am-1pm (im assuming because of the heat) so that leaves a lot of afternoon for sleeping and then being up when the weather is cooler in the afternoon.

WE are moving with work so I have mixed feelings. We will be visiting the island in the next few weeks to look around as we have never been there. I don't think you should move somewhere you haven't been. Its a big commitment and life change!

Thanks for your response. My husband and I will be there for a fact finding trip in April. So I guess we will make our decision then as to weather we make the move.

Thank you, I don't take your comment to be rude.  We would like to rent in the beginning.  We will be there the first 2 weeks in April and would like to get some places lined up to see. Looking for some guidance. 
Can you recommend a hotel in Valetta for the time we are there? Also, we would like to go to Gozo to check it out too. Do we need more then 1 day to see it for a potential place to settle?
Thanks, robyn

Yes, Lake Tahoe is beautiful.  However, very much in a bubble.  We are looking to expand our horizons for our son as well as ourselves.  Moving to Malta will allow us to be near the beautiful Mediterranean, the warm air and the convenient  European countries.  Malta is full of interesting history and we have heard so many wonderful things about it.

Have any of you good people heard of the Bayview or Plaza hotels?

Hi Robyn,

there are not many hotels in Valletta but it is central to use the bus services as most bus routes start there.

I don't think you will be able to find the right place that fast but please read through all the housing posts about things to do and not to do when renting.

Bayview and Plaza hotels are both on some of the main bus routes and sea front in Gzira or Sliema. Both are 3/4 star hotels and I usually seem to be worth what you pay.

Cheers
Ricky

Are you recommending those hotels?
Would you think we could see Gozo in a day or should we plan to stay there for a few days?

RKH wrote:

Would you think we could see Gozo in a day or should we plan to stay there for a few days?

Depends what you want to see and to how much you want to know.
A tour around can easily be done in a day. Learning takes longer, museums, archaeological sites etc.

I've never stayed in those hotels myself but friends have and were happy with them.

If you are looking for a 3 or 4 star hotel in Sliema you could also check out the Diplomat , the Windsor, the Waterfront in Gzira and even the Palace (5 star) have good offers.

Cheers
Ricky

The best hotel on Gozo is The Kempinski at San Lawrenz. Stayed there ourselves.
Others to consider, The Cornucopia at Xaghra and St Patrick's at Xlendi.
Do not expect star ratings to be what you may be used to. Kempinski is 5 true star though, loved it.