Money transfer and other information

Hi all!

I hope someone could help me. My husband is working in GuangZhou. He needs to send money to me every month... We are used to bank transfers but for some reason... the bank can not do it. He tried Western Union despite being expensive but to our surprise... you have to have a Chinese ID and must convert RMB to US Dollar before you can send it.

Please let me know if there are other effective and easier way for an expat to send money from GuangZhou to Philippines.

Also I want to check where are the best place for shopping? Clothes, baby stuff and groceries? Is it hard to go around if you do not speak Chinese?

Many thanks!

Hi Zsazsa,

Bago din lang ako dito....in fact just a month and I'm looking into transferring money also.  I;m Filipino but I will be sending my money to the US.  I do have a Filipino colleague who is sending money to her familyin the Philippines.  What she typically does is get one of our local colleagues to help her exchange RMB to US $ and send it via western Union.  Another way is directly through a bank to bank transfer.  I'm looking into that now.

It seems that it is be a complicated process at first but once you get the hang of it, it sholdn't be too hard to do it every month.  a coworker will guide me through it this month.  But here are some things he told me to have:
1. A pay slip (3 copies) from your husband's employer to prove that he earned the money legitimately and that the local taxes have been paid.
2. Copy (3) of the employment contract from his employer
3. Your husband should get a china based bank account that has affiliations with your philippine bank to make the transfer simpler.
4. passport

There are several transactions that will have to happen.  One, he will need to make the deposit in RMB.  then, buy US dollars.  Finally, transfer the money to your account.

I hope that helps and I'll ask my Filipino colleague what the process is for her.  Hope that helps yo a bit.