Do I need a new NIE?

I got my NIE in 2008 and left Spain, shortly afterwards. It was just a printed sheet of paper, with my details and number on it, and not a card. I think they do things differently these days. Do I need to apply for another one if I move back to Spain? I'm an EU citizen.

I think it will depend on whether there is an expiry date or not.  I got my NIE in 2003, and there is no expiry so I am still using it.  I used it intermittently till 2012 as I was only here for holidays until then, when I moved here permanently.  I never received a card at that time and I think it depends on how long ago you applied.

Sorry, I should have added it may also depend on if you still have the same address.  My NIE has my address on it, so it would probably be invalid if you are at a different address.

I agree with Campogirl. Your NIE is just a number that identifies you. It will stay with you forever but if you have a new address you should go to the National Police office that deals with NIEs wherever you are going to live and update your address.

Thank you. I've been out of the country since 2008 so I'll probably have to check when I get there. There's no expiry date so hopefully it will be ok.

my boyfriend got NIE 13/04/2014 and expires 13/06/14he dosnt have a job. can he get a new one?

Hi

It is not usual to have an expiry date on an NIE.  I remember checking with some friends about mine, and no one had an expiry date.  Are you sure it is not a Padron (from the local town hall)? These in my municipality at least, last a couple of years.  If it is it an NIE it must be a local thing for you, though seems doubtful.

Im sure is the nie

Something similar happened to a pal. He was basically given an NIE on the spot with a very limited "lifespan" to give them time to process his application. He didn't have to do anything else. The undated document turned up in the post a couple of weeks later. I don't think this is the usual procedure though.

If your boyfriend is an EU citizen getting/changing an NIE is easy and doesn't rely on being employed.

I don't really know what the situation is with non EU citizens but I imagine that things will be tighter.

Hi,

In your case you don´t need to apply again for a new NIE number form. I have lived here since 2004 and in many cases I could applying also by phone / internet services for which I didn´t need to hand over the NIE paper.
Your NIE number will be valid ´forever´. From 2013 Spanish Law changed and all NIE number papers given from that year have a 3 months validity. But the NIE number itself has a longlife validity. In some cases they could ask you to renew your NIE number sheet.  If  you are not a Spanish resident you are allowed to be in Spain as a Non resident 3 months within 6 months. If you are living more then 3 monts in Spain then officially you have to apply for the Residency form / Certificado de registro de ciudadano de la unión (hoja verde). Your NIE number will be mentioned on that form. Foreign Identifiation number.

You need a NIE number to open a bank acoount, applying utilities (gaz, water, electriciy etc), internet/mobile, car/health/home insurances. Applying Social Security and other.

Hope this information has been usefull.