Muharraq

Hello all,
               Good to see so many valuable opinions on this blog which will surely help everyone. However, I couldnt find much info about Muharraq Island. I am a doctor by profession and will be working at Al-Hilal hospital on a 2yr contract basis. I have been offered 1500BD pm as salary along with family accomodation and other perks. The accomodation would be at a walkable distance from the hospital, hence, transportation has not been provided. My wife is a housewife and I have a daughter who is 1.5yr old. Now after seeing google images, the muharraq area looks extremely depressing with old buildings. I request this board to provide more info regarding muharraq area regarding living quality, security and anything that would be helpful. Thanks a tons in advance

Yes Muharraq has quite old buildings, but it is safe to live there. You can live in Amwaj, which is also near Muharraq and has much better buildings throughout. You won't be able to walk to work, but you can rent a car or arrange a driver. Your colleagues will be able to help you on that.

Please note in summer months from May till October, the weather conditions are extreme. It's very hot. You will not be able to walk more than 5-10 minutes. Please keep this in mind.

Good luck and let us know if there is anything we can help you with.

Thanks a lot brightonguy I'll surely keep that in mind. Thanks

Muharraq is not the best area to live to be honest. If you can find elsewhere I would seriously suggest it

Hello doctor.  Maybe you could consider living in Busaiteen, which is in Muharraq island and close to the King Hamad Hospital. 

AlHilal Hospital is in an area that is quite convenient, since it is a few minutes away from the Muharraq Souq. There are a number of living options in the area. Muharraq is indeed crowded and has its fair share of old buildings, but if you look around, you should be able to get good options.

Walking to work is alright in the cooler months but will be not possible in summer, as brightonguy advised. You may need a vehicle to get to work. Also having a vehicle is advisable since taxis and such are quite pricey in Bahrain, especially since you have a young family with you. 

The tourist areas of Muharraq are a little walk from Al Hilal Hospital.

Best wishes with your new assignment.

Josnuggles wrote:

Muharraq is not the best area to live to be honest. If you can find elsewhere I would seriously suggest it

Thanks for your reply. Can you please tell any specific reason for it?

Thanks Faraz for your guidance. The hospital management has told me that doctors' accomodation is at a walkable distance from the hospital so guess its some kinda compound for all the doctor staff that they have arranged (not sure of the distance). I had got an opinion from other sources that muharraq is quite good to stay but after seeing the pics online got a doubt.

hegde13viju wrote:
Josnuggles wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Can you please tell any specific reason for it?

It is very busy, lots of cars, tailbacks, bad parking etc. I'm not saying it's bad, just that there are better places