Furniture

For various reasons, I am now considering renting a flat that is semi-furnished. I have not explored furniture costs at all yet. Any rough rules of thumb on the costs to furnish a 2-bedroom flat? I imagine there are some bargains to be had for second-hand stuff, but I'm thinking new. Relatively simple too and nothing much beyond the required (couch, beds, table/chairs, tv, etc.).

Thanks.

Hi Stakan.

We spoke about his, but thought of also replying here for others to see and expand on.

In my view, Semi-furnished is the way to go if you are planning on being here for sometime. That way you get to buy furniture you actually like and want rather than accept furniture your landlord supplies.

Fully-furnished is better for those who come to Bahrain on short-term assignments.

When selecting furniture, you can get reasonably priced stuff at the many furniture stores in the malls of Bahrain or some of the larger family owned and operated furniture stores in Bahrain.  There are also very expensive options available for those with discerning taste. Depends on personal preference and budget.

I would expect you to spend about BD2,000 to furnish a 2 bedroom apartment with all your necessities. Add another BD500 if you also include reasonable-size/priced TV, video, sounds, refrigerator, washing machine, dryer, etc. I have assumed air conditioning and curtains are supplied by your landlord as is the general case when it comes to semi-furnished accommodation in Bahrain.

Thank you very much for your support Farhaz, You always provide such valuable information to other Expat-blog members.

I second Brightonguy's comments.
Thanks Farhaz!

We live in a 17 room villa and it cost us about BD6,000 to fully furnish it. We used a mixture of Mum's in Bahrain Classified facebook page and a local man and van to collect and deliver the bigger items.

We also went to home store in Bahrain Mall when they had their big sale on (every month) up to 70% off and we furnished the rest of the villa in one go. All the furniture is of amazing standard, is delivered to your door, assembled and all rubbish taken away. When we approached the manager he gave us an additional 10% off everything and I still get that discount now even if I buy a candle. Great customer service and great quality products.

Beware of the cheaper shops - coated chipboard and very bad quality