Gym near the zoo?

Hi,

I moved to District 1 on Nguyen Dinh Chieu street about 3 weeks ago and I am desperately looking for a local gym. I don't have a motorbike as yet so I am hoping to find somewhere locally I can walk to...

I saw a gym on Nguyen Thi Minh Thai right next door to Saigon zoo (on the bridge)... I forget the name of it but does anyone know this gym and if it is foreigner friendly?  :/

I have checked the threads already but if anyone knows any other gyms in this area please do let me know  :top:

Is it the green one called Gym 1 or so?
Its in Vietnamese. Just passed when I was on my way to work. if you need help we can meet up and go there together.
If you dont have a bike yet you can also take a Xe om for your convenience:)

missmae wrote:

Is it the green one called Gym 1 or so?
Its in Vietnamese. Just passed when I was on my way to work. if you need help we can meet up and go there together.
If you dont have a bike yet you can also take a Xe om for your convenience:)

Thank you Missmae... Yes, I cannot remember the name of it. It is actually a short walk from my home so it would be ideal for me to walk to. However, when i went past I didn't see any foreigners in there.. looks very Vietnamese style  :lol:

But I am interested if anyone is a member who may know the costs or any additional info

FYI found the website. Its partly in English. The fee is about 350 k per month.
I dont think they speak English since it aims at Locals. However give it a try. I might sign up too since its close ti my granny.

http://phongtapthammy.com/en/index.aspx

just went pass a gym next to the zoo. Yet Kieu gym on Nguyen Thi Minh Khai street, just next to the bridge between Nguyen Thi Minh Khai dist 1 and Xo Viet Nghe Tinh, Binh Thanh dist

It's named Yết Kiêu, after the swimming pool next to it, which in turn is named after an ancient Vietnamese general, who was famed for his incredible swimming ability.

My wife and I went there for about nine months, a couple of times a week, until we moved to an apartment building with an on-site gym. The guy who was normally at the desk speaks absolutely no English, but is still very friendly. The other guy there is not as friendly, but also speaks absolutely no English. IIRC, it was only a few dollars per visit.

They have no air-con, you have to turn the fans on if you want to use them, and the bikes and running machines occasionally have no power, but I liked the place, a lot.

There's another gym right close by that you could try, on the grounds of the running track two blocks closer to the city on NTMK (corner of Đinh Tiên Hoàng). I found it more claustrophobic, and didn't like the machines as much, but it might be worth a try. They also speak no English.

Thanks for all the help.. Appreciate it!

The gym is ideally situated for me.. I'm currently looking for work here so once this is hopefully found I can then get a motorbike and perhaps join another gym elsewhere in the city.

Matthiasb..  Sorry for all the questions..
Does the gym membership include access to the pool? Do many foreigners work out here or is it primarily locals? Is it just a pay as you go type place or do you have to sign up for a membership? Do they have lockers, etc?

Hi Xaviar84
Can you try California center in 28 Le Lai, District 1 Club in Ho Chi Minh (cfyc.com.vn/clubs-in-ho-chi-minh-pa3lo1lg1.html)