Shanghai Info

Hi guys and girls,

I have been offered an internship in Minhang area in Shanghai for 4000rmb a month.
I would like to know where is the best area for me to get a shared apartment in Shanghai?
What is the Minhang area like and how far is it from the French concession?
Is it possible lo live on this money?
What is the best way to travel, get local underground ticket?
What are the average food costs and expenses in Shanghai?
Is it easy too meet foreigners in Shanghai, what type of nationalities?
Where should i go to learn the Mandarin language?

After the internship they will over me a permanent job, which pays more!!!

Thanks for any info ;)

I can't answer all your questions, but I can tell you that the Minhang District is convenient to the FFC and travel by metro is quick, safe and cheap. Travel by taxis is inexpensive, can be slow with crowded roads ans is usually safe, but I try no to look at how my driver is driving. I am in corporate paid housing so Ican't answer your questions abiut housing. Good luck!

Hi,

Welcome to Shanghai!

As the payment of the internship, it's not very low because some internship openings are unpaid and the internship period is normally from 3 months to 6 months. I think it would better for you to consider it as daily allowance, I couldn't tell you whether it's enough to live on 4000 RMB as a monthly salary. The living cost could be expensive or cheap, it all depends on your living budget & habit. 

Minhang distance is not very far from French concession, it's very easy and cheap to travel by metro, especially in the rush time. You'd better to get a transportation card, it could save some money if you do the inter exchange.

As far as I know, many foreigners gather in Xin Tian Di and French concession. Tian Zi Fang is considered as one of the best place to visit, you can meet some expats and find some local shops.

[moderated: advertisement]

Have a nice day.

Nina

Hi every1 ,
The fact is that it will not be easy to live in Shanghai with this much amount , weather u spend only for for your need it is difficult to manage here that i can tell you as i am living here for seven years . I am not discouraging you just trying to advise you to keep some exra money foe your expenses.

Good luck !